Kids MTBs - jump from 20" to 24" ?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I can't help with the Polygon or Marin question but I bought my then 8 year old a Ramones for Xmas 18, awesome little rig...no way would he have fitted on a xsmall 26", not to mention the confidence required for the wheel size jump. He's still on the 24+ and loving it, still fits and only just starting to look small now (145cm) but the confidence he has gained from this is unreal. I will probably start looking at 26" bikes later in the year for him.

dan76n

Likes Bikes
I jumped at a rigid bike with a 2.6" front tyre. Light and should have heaps of grip at 10psi.
Im leaning towards a rigid for my 7yr old daughter over a hard tail as I think long term shell be better for the raw feel of hitting bumps.

My two girls (7 and 5) are still on 16 inch pedal brakes. Felt a little guilty when I took them for a spin at Majura pines crazy crab and the youngest kept sliding out in the mud due to the slick tires she’s riding on. She still loved it but I really need to get them some decent tyres.

dan76n

Likes Bikes
I wouldn't spend the cash on 16" tyres if they're that age. 5yo should be moving onto a 20" damn soon and the 7yo definitely.
Yes very true. The eldest has the seat post to max now which is a good fit but that won’t last more than a month I’d say. The youngest should make it to her 6th bday in November I think. I’m hoping longer for her as she’s a bit wilder so the smaller wheels limit her speed a bit.