Kind Shock dropper remote and spare parts

teK--

Eats Squid
Anyone know where I can source spare parts in Australia? I'm not paying $50 shipping from USA on these three items!:

Also does anyone know if that cable clamp (the barrel looking thing) is the same diameter as the anchor of a normal gear cable?

I am wanting to do a changeover of the remote for a dropper post which has the cable anchor at the dropper end. The KS (and most good remotes) have the anchor at the remote lever end.

Thanks.

Attachments

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i assume you're trying to use the KS lever on a giant dropper? i was going to use an SRL lever on mine, but sold the bike.

go to a specialized store. their lever has the cable head in the lever, and they use a barrel nut with a grub screw at the dropper end. they may have one lying around, or at least hopefully sell them as a spare.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
their lever has the cable head in the lever, and they use a barrel nut with a grub screw at the dropper end.
That is the same set up as the KS southpaw lever.

I have the KS southpaw, i love it.
Saying that, if i was buying another one, I'd go down the Specialized route. The bar clamp on the KS is pretty average, although it doesnt affect the operation.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
That is the same set up as the KS southpaw lever.

I have the KS southpaw, i love it.
Saying that, if i was buying another one, I'd go down the Specialized route. The bar clamp on the KS is pretty average, although it doesnt affect the operation.
SRL is swanky, mounts to Sram Matchmaker and has the exact same lever shape as a sram shifter. makes me tingle in the bottom of my bean bag.

slowmick

38-39"
The SRL is $55 from the local specialized store but you need to bring your own SRAM clamp - currently $20 on chain reaction for black or $33 from Pushys in silver.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
The SRL is $55 from the local specialized store but you need to bring your own SRAM clamp - currently $20 on chain reaction for black or $33 from Pushys in silver.
a sneaky way was to buy the cheapest X7+ shifter... CRC had some 2/3spd front shifters for ~$10 a little while ago.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
a sneaky way was to buy the cheapest X7+ shifter... CRC had some 2/3spd front shifters for ~$10 a little while ago.
I have one bike with Southpaw and one with a modified X7, both are great but my preference leans ever so slightly to the X7. Shit easy to mod either Sram or Shimano front shifters into dropper remotes.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I have one bike with Southpaw and one with a modified X7, both are great but my preference leans ever so slightly to the X7. Shit easy to mod either Sram or Shimano front shifters into dropper remotes.
i was referring to a cheap way to get sram clamps, as opposed to hacking shifters for droppers.

teK--

Eats Squid
Thanks RB brains trust I will hit up Al!

The SRL looks sweet just annoying have to buy a clamp or salvage off another shifter.

Want to convert the Giant Dropper to a better remote; shame it is now into 3rd version but they still have the same shitty remote design. They fixed everything else that was crap about the earlier versions.

stirk

Burner
Another vote for Al, he has the goods and the knowledge you seek. He helped me out quickly with no fuss.

I had a stuck dropper post plunger, Al sorted same day and under warranty.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Thanks RB brains trust I will hit up Al!

The SRL looks sweet just annoying have to buy a clamp or salvage off another shifter.

Want to convert the Giant Dropper to a better remote; shame it is now into 3rd version but they still have the same shitty remote design. They fixed everything else that was crap about the earlier versions.
Got a spare front shifter floating around?

stirk

Burner
Got a spare front shifter floating around?
I'll give you one if you mod it into a dropper post remote with step by step pics and detailed description of how you can make it look as good or better than a small purpose built dropper remote.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
I converted a nice XT shifter recently but then realised that my KS Lev Integra has the cable head in the seat pole so won't work. Waste of 30 mins.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I converted a nice XT shifter recently but then realised that my KS Lev Integra has the cable head in the seat pole so won't work. Waste of 30 mins.
Cable head is in the remote on LEVs. There's a specific grub screw that connects at the post end.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
2 Al's at Pushie now days ... I'm Alan or Fat Al or the one with more hair :bounce:

I suggest trying this bit (Cable Collar)

instead of this bit (Cable Clamp)

it just sits in the southpaw a little nicer IMO, but it does stick out a little more. The guys at Ivan Hoe Cycles have tried it with the Contact post but I haven't heard the results. The trick is to cut the cable just a little shorter then flush with the top of the cable collar so you don't get any exposed wire.

Suggested steps
i) before cutting the cable/wire, measure up cable length and lock in the cable collar and grub on the wire.
- Note make sure your cable adjuster on the southpaw is backed all the way off ... ie to allow you to tighten the cable tension after cable installation.
- Check cable tension and make sure post is triggering correctly.
- check twice cut once is good advice.
ii) the grub will leave marks on the wire when tightened. you will use this as the lower limit when cutting the wire
iii) bend the wire over the cable collar so you can use the bend as your cutting guide (upper limit)
iv) loosen the grub screw and lower the cable clamp down the wire. this will make reinstallation easier
v) now you should see the upper (bend) and lower (grub screw marks) limits on the wire ... cut just below the bend (upper limit)
- although its better to cut long and adjust out excess via the cable adjuster on the southpaw. be precise where possible.
- you have a few mm between your cutting limits ... but the aim is to cut so that the frayed cable ends are within the cable collar and not sticking out the top, else your thumb is going to need a callus

If you have spare cable laying about, you may want to practice before hand.

best to email sales@pushie.com.au for queries ... sorry not on here as much these days.

Lots of good retailers know us now days, most even know we aren't Pushys