Knapsack Reserve Glenbrook Trail Build Days - 10th February 2018

DeBloot

Feeling old
Funny how much good riding there is in the mountains
And one of the few sports i can think of where the particpants do the huge majority of the work
People come into the area to ride them, they are supported by local bike shops, and riders spend money while they're here
And all of them bar Knapsack are nudge nudge wink wink say no more trails

And all they've done with Knapsack it seems is fiddle around with trails that were already there
And put in an alternative to OBR, which according to many, is not much of an alternative

Now I'm not complaining that council keep their fat noses out of these trails because them getting involved would only cause grief
But it just pisses me off that 7 years ago i went to my only council meeting supporting trails in the mountains
The now mayor was all full of great words and appreciation for our patience and everyone was all enthusiastic about the future

But in the ensuing years I really feel that the riders have been treated like fools, and there is an implicit suggestion that we are not to be trusted
And the only way to control and confine us is to feed us morsels while telling us that anything other than towing the line will result in all trails being shut down
This of course is designed to divide and conquer as we argue amongst ourselves between those who believe we should dig without permission and those who don't

As i said, I'm not complaining about the state of play because I've got plenty of spots to ride that I like
But it just shits me to tears when i read this stuff and see how after 7 years of effort by many people the result is not much more than hot air blown out someones arse
Call it red tape and bureaucracy if you like - I call it council soft cock syndrome

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Save quoting that whole post, nothing conpares to Old Bat, there's no alternate to riding obr in the rain and leaving with more blood on the outside than the inside. Shuttle runs with mum after school, couldn't beat it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

robbie b

Likes Bikes
knapsack reserve

as a new local to the hills area I plan to frequent the lower blue mountain trails a lot and the knapsack are has a great little network of trails that with some tlc and vision has great potential to be a little Mecca for the area, would be great to see some serious work and progress go into this network, particularly the gravity trails

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
as a new local to the hills area I plan to frequent the lower blue mountain trails a lot and the knapsack are has a great little network of trails that with some tlc and vision has great potential to be a little Mecca for the area, would be great to see some serious work and progress go into this network, particularly the gravity trails
Sadly the history of the area will not allow that to happen due to the environmental restraints put on the area when the closure of OBR happened 7 years ago. Its a long story, however one primary point is that an opposing stakeholder managed to by exceeding their scope and sneakily have the whole escarpment reclassified as an "Endangered Ecological Area", which basically means you can't do anything there. This was expected to stop the whole mtb thing in the area, so what we have managed to get in there is very unexpected for the green groups and a real chip on their shoulder.

Still I just want to get finished what we were approved at the time, which would make what is there vastly better, but sadly that is limited by budgets and the clout of the green lobby groups. If riders could seriously band to together effectively that would give much more clout, however facing such resistance and little immediate gain its been shown to be a pretty unrealistic possibility for many reasons too.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well its not much, but council has offered a trail day Saturday 26th November and think may as well take advantage of the crumbs they throw us.

Currently trying to determine with council what we can do. Hoping we can wrangle to do a diversion that was previously approved around one of the messy eroded bits between the lookouts.

More info to come as we learn it.

Last edited:

Kramer

FoBR
Thanks for your efforts - love the work you have been doing on the trails. I'm an irregular rider with in-laws at Glenbrook. I agree with the comments above - I really miss OBR (one of the freakiest DH trails I have ridden/crashed), and the more recent crap with other trails on the escarpment is terrible too :-(
I'll keep watching this thread and come for a dig if the dates match up with visits.

BTW - the small efforts of trail fairies fixing drainage will save lots of effort/money down the track to fix bigger erosion problems and keep the greenies off your backs.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Thanks for your efforts - love the work you have been doing on the trails. I'm an irregular rider with in-laws at Glenbrook. I agree with the comments above - I really miss OBR (one of the freakiest DH trails I have ridden/crashed), and the more recent crap with other trails on the escarpment is terrible too :-(
I'll keep watching this thread and come for a dig if the dates match up with visits.

BTW - the small efforts of trail fairies fixing drainage will save lots of effort/money down the track to fix bigger erosion problems and keep the greenies off your backs.
Mmmmmm, obr. No other trail has had me get up from a crash and have to search for my bike.

Is the dig for the dh as well? I know the boys will be keen on fixing a few things here and there but the bottom half is still running well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I should note that start time has been pushed back tan hour so we will be going from 9am till 1pm.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not really sure what the plan is for what we will be doing. I guess it will be whatever Adrian says so maybe not expect any major works, probably just refinements.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well it turned out to be a really successful day with a large diversion done to avoid the eroded fall line fire trail of the rock platform. Some of an unauthorised trail around the rock edges was utilsied to make a sustainable basis with a more sustainable set of switchbacks that should make for a fast flowey descent or a more practical climb.

Once again thanks for BMCC and Trish and Adrian from Synergy Trails. Also a big thanks to the large turnout of riders to come and help out and get so much done quite quickly.

So on the map the yellow line is the reroute and the blue is the section that is being closed off.

MAp Mark up.jpg

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here are some pics of the new bit of trail.... its pretty much the Knapsack techy style using a lot of rock.

Attachments

Last edited:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This year we have a trail day schedule with BMCC and Synergy. So all at 8am till 12pm on these dates...

25th February

27th May

26th August

2nd December

So the more people the better so please promote these dates.

Last build day we had a good turnout and got a lot done so if we can keep that going it would be great.

View attachment 334925

Attachments

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a heads up reminder for the trail day at Knapsack this Saturday Feb 25th at 8am. Meeting place still at start of Lover's Walk on Barnet St. Hopefully we have as successful day as the last one where we got a hell of a lot done.

More details here http://bmorc.com/node/55078

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not 100% sure what we will be doing, Adrian is investigating and discussing with council. Will need maybe two people to finish the rock armouring near the creek crossing below the oval. Besides that something else somewhere probably largely dependent on the amount of people who come along!

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Big thanks to the riders who came along and worked today in the nice cool conditions. We got some more rock armoring done around the creek crossing below the sports fields; put in a 150m low gradient diversion approved many years ago near the rusted car to avoid a very eroded section of fall line fire trail plus some more rock movement on the DH.

Big thanks to Adrian and Synergy Trails with Buzz; Trish from BMCC and David from the Bush Doctors.

Next build day will be May 27th.

montage.jpg

stirk

Burner
Looks great! I've only been down to knapsack a few times in a few years but I notice the changes. You are making some great technical trails. :thumb:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ran into Adrian and spoke to him about the next build day on the 27th of May. For the XC we are looking at trying to put in a diversion on the short fireroad section south of Elizabeth Lookout (see pic below) that is eroding and widening horribly. This will be quite a big effort so the more the better at the next build day!

Further details on the next build day at BMORC http://bmorc.com/node/55079.

Essentially 8am till midday, meet at the start of Lover's Walk on the 27th of May .

Further it seems a lot of rock has been acquired and will be flown in for the DH. So there will be some works on the DH to remediate some issues there with Synergy.

South of Lookout1.jpg

I have been advised there is not likely to be any DH track works happening.

3rd post ever, yay!

Further it seems a lot of rock has been acquired and will be flown in for the DH. So there will be some works on the DH to remediate some issues there with Synergy.

Last edited: