Knapsack Reserve Glenbrook Trail Build Days - 10th February 2018

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
considering how great the other jumps are that synergy has built.....these will not fail to disappoint after 2 weeks.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New build day on the 27th February 2016. For XC meet at the soccer oval carpark. We will be working on armouring the creek crossing approaches on the latest section of trail that was recently opened below the soccer ovals. A few other sections will need some armouring too so we will be handling a lot of rock. Wheel barrows and rock tools will be very useful to bring!

Not sure what DH will be up to on the day. Will try and find out before the day.

More details here and can register to show your coming for numbers.

http://bmorc.com/node/53141

This is what the crossing originally looked like and its wet and muddy.

Attachments

Last edited:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a bump for this day... I don't understand why the possibility of leaches, mud and moving rocks isn't really appealing to lots of people :) It may even rain a bit!

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The creek crossing is done and the upper corner completed so the section is essentially complete. (pic is from the west side, the earlier pic above is from the east.

We need to rock armour another 50ft or so after the creek as the area tends to get and stay a little damp after the rain.

A few more pics here from the day http://bmorc.com/node/53141/gallery

creek crossing2.jpg

Last edited:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another cool video set at Glenbrook.... includes a few trails that have been worked on.

[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/425755[/video]

stirk

Burner
I rode knapsack earlier today for only the second time. Yeah I know, it's just down the road from me!
The first time I rode around the park was a few years ago and it certainly has changed a bit with the work you guys have been doing. It was fun but I must admit I still get a little uncertain which way I should be riding.

I rode one section which comes out where the DH track crosses the fire trail and I was riding, ahem trying to ride up more rock gardens than I was going down them, riding that section from the DH track back towards Glenbrook flowed much better but still lots of rock gardens to grind up!

All up a good fun network of trails if a little hard to pedal up some rock gardens, a few had me beat but a darn good challenge trying to get up them!

Is the any real direction one should ride the network of trails.

This is the map of the ride. I think I missed alot of sections too.

IMG_20160807_125902.jpg

I'd be keen to come down next build day and be shown the way, I'd hate to cause a crash because I'm going in the wrong direction!

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode knapsack earlier today for only the second time. Yeah I know, it's just down the road from me!
The first time I rode around the park was a few years ago and it certainly has changed a bit with the work you guys have been doing. It was fun but I must admit I still get a little uncertain which way I should be riding.

I'd be keen to come down next build day and be shown the way, I'd hate to cause a crash because I'm going in the wrong direction!
I think there are very few people who can actually navigate the "loop" correctly.. its very confusing (still very few stravas of the full lap) It really needs a lot more work and markings from council. Sadly we are up against serious funding issues as we still are supposed to be supervised on build days so work goes at a snails pace.

As far as direction I much prefer riding in an anti-clockwise direction, while others prefer the other way. At this stage its whatever you prefer. Really mix and match and find the best connections and loops at this stage.

The pinchy eroded rock gardens seem to all be rideable by locals (I'm no local so that's my excuse) but they are things that really need some work and in cases some rerouting. Some are good and some are really shit.

More than welcome to come to next build day but at this stage we are all whingy waiting endlessly for council to organise one with us. Shame as the potential for the area is great.

BTW here is the strava for the "official" loop...

https://www.strava.com/segments/11316925

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Thanks, I keep an eye out for anyone coming from any direction as a general rule. I definitely found 'anti clockwise' easier as you seem to go down more of those little gardens than up. Some of the gardens are shit hard, I'd love to see people clear them on the up. Lots of momentum probably smashes you through. Cheers for the map, I'll overlay that with what I rode, looks like a key section which joins the north section is missing.

styler

Likes Dirt
I found it hard to work out a full lap, I eventually loaded a course into the garmin to actually get it right. I now use the xc course with a detour down the top of the downhill section as its much more fun then the xc version around but follow the rest of the loop as its mapped. All of the climbs are doable and I can do all of these myself but they definitely zap the energy bank. After 3-4 laps of this you don't have much more to give.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I find the climbs a lot easier when you're pointing down them...

When is the next build day? Haven't done any knappo in a while now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I find the climbs a lot easier when you're pointing down them...
Funny that, I find that too!

When is the next build day? Haven't done any knappo in a while now.
yeah.. (grumble grumble).. council ran out of money in the budget for us and I think Synergy haven't been able to schedule it either.

Basically I think a problem is we are expected to have too much expensive supervision because the greenies will complain otherwise. We could get so much more work done to improve the state of the area if we didn't need direct supervision but instead had a system of reporting what we would be doing in detail, performing the work at a set time and then getting works signed off as meeting the requirements. But council won't go for that.

I am wondering with council elections coming up whether something could be achieved directly from incumbent councillors who want votes?

stirk

Burner
I found it hard to work out a full lap, I eventually loaded a course into the garmin to actually get it right. I now use the xc course with a detour down the top of the downhill section as its much more fun then the xc version around but follow the rest of the loop as its mapped. All of the climbs are doable and I can do all of these myself but they definitely zap the energy bank. After 3-4 laps of this you don't have much more to give.
I'm a rookie to knapsack but I think it'll take a while to figure out the line up the rock gardens. Well down if you can get up them all!

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I am wondering with council elections coming up whether something could be achieved directly from incumbent councillors who want votes?
This is interesting. There's not too much on the DH that needs work, it's maintenance more than anything else. Would anyone get the shits if we went out just for a rake and shifting some dirt? No digging new holes, just moving where it might be collecting from rain to berms or something like that. Keen to give it a go with the new working gears, some of those pinches without cranking can be tight.

DeBloot

Feeling old
This is interesting. There's not too much on the DH that needs work, it's maintenance more than anything else. Would anyone get the shits if we went out just for a rake and shifting some dirt? No digging new holes, just moving where it might be collecting from rain to berms or something like that. Keen to give it a go with the new working gears, some of those pinches without cranking can be tight.
What Moggio says makes a lot of sense
But just quietly, we all know it's better to ask forgiveness than ask permission
And also, I would suggest that no one would be the wiser anyway

Nothing more frustrating than putting in a lot of good work
And then letting it go to waste through bureaucratic red tape

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nothing more frustrating than putting in a lot of good work
And then letting it go to waste through bureaucratic red tape
Sadly the red tape is two things... budget and greenies. And they are really linked in that, to do the work in a supervised way that doesn't make the greenies who monitor everything we do find a fault that can halt the (snail pace) progression it costs money.

Its utter frustrating bullshit as we have experienced IMBA trained responsible people who have good proven experience in trail building and regen but we can't work on even simple stuff unsupervised.

We could have the whole trail done by now as people are willing to put in their time for free and do the work but we are hamstrung by bureaucracy while in the meantime the area continues to erode and fall apart and not be regenerated. But to the greenies that is preferable in their self righteous piety.

But I rant.....

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Sadly the red tape is two things... budget and greenies. And they are really linked in that, to do the work in a supervised way that doesn't make the greenies who monitor everything we do find a fault that can halt the (snail pace) progression it costs money.

Its utter frustrating bullshit as we have experienced IMBA trained responsible people who have good proven experience in trail building and regen but we can't work on even simple stuff unsupervised.

We could have the whole trail done by now as people are willing to put in their time for free and do the work but we are hamstrung by bureaucracy while in the meantime the area continues to erode and fall apart and not be regenerated. But to the greenies that is preferable in their self righteous piety.

But I rant.....
Don't forget still being yelled at by walkers for riding down our legal downhill walking banned track...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk