Knee pad suggestions

Just another suggestion, RaceFace Ambush D30. Got them for $100 landed which seems pricey, but I guess it's like Goretex, you've gotta pay extra for the D30...

I had the Trailskins before these and I thought they were terrible. Even low speed crashes would make them slide down, to the point that I had banged-up knees for weeks.
Yes I should stop crashing, but hey, I've done the hard research for you. So basically, I would never recommend them (and they're pretty $$ considering how average they were).

I finally cracked the shits and bought the RaceFace's and they're a ton better. Defintely bulkier, more DH level protection without the hard panel, but most people ride enduro bikes on DH and gnarly tracks anyway so I reckon they're a good fit for that type of riding. Plus you can strap them on and off without taking your shoes off. Bit warm, but honestly I forget about it as soon as I start riding.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Those Race Face pads look good, but maybe a little to on the heavy duty side for my liking. Going to try on some IXS Flow pads this week as my LBS just got some more in stock. See how we go.

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
IXS flow for me. Light comfortable, they do not slip at all. Protection on knee is ample for agressive trail, light enduro. Side protection is minimal. Good for all day. Not enough protection for DH. Good compromise between protection and wearability/comfort

BT180

Max Pfaff
IXS flow for me. Light comfortable, they do not slip at all. Protection on knee is ample for agressive trail, light enduro. Side protection is minimal. Good for all day. Not enough protection for DH. Good compromise between protection and wearability/comfort
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds exactly what I'm after. Some side protection would be good though as that's where I banged up my upper leg on my top tube.

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds exactly what I'm after. Some side protection would be good though as that's where I banged up my upper leg on my top tube.
They will offer a degree of protection on the side. Grazing protection. I'm happy with them and for the price their worth having. I may look at the 7idp Control pads later on as I start doing more rock gardens and DH stuff. They are great pads but expensive

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
IXS flows unfortunately slipped. But took initial impact with no bruising. Still running them but strapped up a lot tighter now. Haven't got to test again though.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

teK--

Eats Squid
The pre-2016 IXS flow were dual strap I have had 2 pairs never slipped. The 2016 are only single strap and could slip if sizing is too big for you.

swmtbr

Likes Dirt
There is no way mine would slip. They are the latest version with 1 lower strap and silicon top gusset. Mine are XL and I don't put any tension on strap, just secure it to stop it flapping only. Binned it twice since I've had them and they stayed put. If your looking at taking huge stacks Redbull rampage style go the 7idp control otherwise these are good.

Edit: losing skin is fine, chicks dig scars. Breaking knee joints is far from cool.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Grave dig resuscitating topic.
Was recently OS where there are mega rocks so bought some Fox launch knee shin pads.
These were good cause I had some crashes but they kept falling down .
I am looking for some knee/shin pads that
1 arent too hot ,stiff and bulky,
2 can be removed easily for long up hills
3 stay up
I have also G Pros which are excellent for Australian clay but not enough protection for serious rocks .
Most people like the Dianese trailskins. However I suppose you have to take your shoes off to remove them?
I imagine its only stretching ones like that that will stay up when pedalling, anything with straps doesnt have enough friction to stay put.?
Any comments appreciated .

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
bike-discount.de had ion pads going at a good price last time I looked. I'll let you read reviews to see if there suitable for your style of riding I do like the way they zip up. Currently overseas but am thinking of getting some for myself when I'm back. my race ambush are getting old and a bit to heavy duty for my riding and fancy a slightly lighter set of pads

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'm selling some Leatt 3DF knee pads at the moment (on here) for $50. Great protection and pretty reasonable to pedal in. Only selling them (after 1 ride) as my IXS Carves were replaced under warranty and I don't need them.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Thanks Nautonier.
I have Fox launch great protection scratches everywhere but move too much, I have chicken calves with big quads .
yours look like you have to take off your shoes to remove them but at least they stay put and they have a top strap to help.

Juan Dinger

Likes Bikes
Grave dig resuscitating topic.
Was recently OS where there are mega rocks so bought some Fox launch knee shin pads.
These were good cause I had some crashes but they kept falling down .
I am looking for some knee/shin pads that
1 arent too hot ,stiff and bulky,
2 can be removed easily for long up hills
3 stay up
I have also G Pros which are excellent for Australian clay but not enough protection for serious rocks .
Most people like the Dianese trailskins. However I suppose you have to take your shoes off to remove them?
I imagine its only stretching ones like that that will stay up when pedalling, anything with straps doesnt have enough friction to stay put.?
Any comments appreciated .
Can absolutely not go past the Race Face Ambush knee pads. I had tried 3 sets of different knee guards with no success until I bought these after being recommended them. They are awesome and offer so much protection, and do not move at all when riding in them. They simply wrap around the knee when putting them on rather than having to remove your shoes to take them off, but offer as much or more comfort than if they were a complete slide on and off type knee guard. Can be removed relatively quickly, even though there is no need. I drove home in them the first time I rode in them as I forgot I was wearing them. Here is a link to check them out -
https://www.raceface.com/products/details/ambush-knee-guards

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Not bad, however, I would not buy protective gear if it hasn't been CE certified and tested for impact protection. Most knee pads are, but a lot aren't. I wouldn't buy a helmet that wasn't tested and certified.
I've got the knee / shin version of these, the flank. They're easily the best protecting and most comfortable pads I've used. That includes better protection than any hard pads I've used.

I wouldn't hesitate using these, ce certified or not. I certainly won't be using any other pads as long as these are sold.

Juan Dinger

Likes Bikes
Not bad, however, I would not buy protective gear if it hasn't been CE certified and tested for impact protection. Most knee pads are, but a lot aren't. I wouldn't buy a helmet that wasn't tested and certified.
Yep, your loss. If you don't consider these or the Flank's when looking for knee pads, you are seriously missing out !!

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Ive been using dainese trail skins for year and a half and have been great. But elastic has gone and don't think they would stay in place in a crash. Been through a few elbow pads after breaking my elbow 6 months ago and impressed with the Fox launch pro if anyone is looking.

Just ordered some TLD Semenuk knee pads. On sale down to $39 at pushys and seem to be exactly what Im after. See how they go.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Ive been using dainese trail skins for year and a half and have been great. But elastic has gone and don't think they would stay in place in a crash. Been through a few elbow pads after breaking my elbow 6 months ago and impressed with the Fox launch pro if anyone is looking.

Just ordered some TLD Semenuk knee pads. On sale down to $39 at pushys and seem to be exactly what Im after. See how they go.
Was looking at those knee pads this morning now my size is sold out. Dont really need knee pads but for that price was thinking it wouldn't hurt to have some for fast rocky stuff.