Knee pads/protection

Dazzo

Likes Dirt
In the last couple of months, myself and a friend have had falls that resulted in moderately serious knee injuries to the soft tissue. My friend required general anaesthetic and a fews days stay in hospital to get the wound cleaned out properly and then stitched up. Myself, I required a local anaesthetic a good clean out and a few stitches.
Besides the original physical trauma, the risk of infection is a much more serious complication that could certainly result from such an injury, especially if it gets into the joint. So, I couldn't help but think that with a little knee protection, both injuries could have been easily avoided.

So, for those of you who use knee guards, what do you use?? What do you like? I liked the look of this gear

http://www.pocsports.com/en/15/wheels-body_armor

I will be participating in both the Capital punishment 100k and Mont in a month, so definitely need something to protect my right knee from another injury...
Thoughts, opinions?

A to Z

Squid
self preservation...

SixSixOne Evo Knee @ www.sixsixone.com [check the 'closeout' for a good price]

Same for me... didn't need any medical attention but it took six months to get full flex back into my right knee after a serious rock kiss [Stromlo] so I bought them to avoid reoffending. To be honest I stopped falling off as soon as I bought them! I wore them for half a dozen XC rides up to 6-8 hours and didn't have a problem, with flexibility or heat. They have some insert thingy in the front section that only works on impact otherwise it's quite soft and flexible. I put them back on yesterday for the first time for a practice lap of the MTB 100 Cruise [this Saturday] and will def wear them in the race..... it's a rock fest and there will be plenty who wished they had them on by the end of the day!

hayd

Likes Dirt
I've got a pair of the G-form knee pads and I cant rate them highly enough. Here's a review of them http://www.pinkbike.com/news/G-Form-Knee-Pads-Tested-2011.html

The pads are very comfortable, and I know it sound cliche but you can easily forget that you are wearing them.

The sizing chart definitely has to be used when sizing the pads. I got the 2XL and they were still very tight in the calf, though I have got big legs (about 45cm at the bottom of the pad).

I've had my front wheel wash out on me (hit a bit of sand) and went down heavily onto a rough concrete causeway. The knee pad took the hit really well. It rotated slightly but did its job absorbing the impact. When I looked at the pads after the crash they were fine. No scratches or torn stitching. Apart from the blood and dust they looked brand new.

They're definitely worth having a look at.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
SixSixOne Evo Knee .. They have some insert thingy in the front section that only works on impact otherwise it's quite soft and flexible.
It's called d3o. Ever seen the school science demonstrations with a thick mix of corn flour in water, and a stirring stick in it? Stir it slowly and it can be stirred, move the stirrer fast and it jams right up. Same principle.

d3o charge a lot for their material. I'm sure it's got great uses - I'm thinking where it can spread the impact over a large area, EG chest or back padding. Let's face it - with knee guards most of the work is 1) to stop abrasion of the skin - the hard outer layer does this on it's own and 2) absorb impact - the soft foam part of any pads does this. d3o isn't soft on impact.

I used Fox knee/shinnies for a little while, they bent quite easily below the kneecap and didn't hinder pedalling much. They didn't wrap around more than the front half of the leg but still kept the legs pretty warm.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
I've tried the 661 evo's; they didn't last very long (stitching tore at both sides of both knees, so I got the evo XC's. They're lighter and have lasted better, but protection is quite limited and they move around on me easily. My favourites to date are the IXS Slope; lighter than the 661's better protection and more comfortable-cheaper too. I like them so much I bough ta second set just in case. Last week got a set of the G-forms to try; well priced, ridiculously comfy, and appear to have good protection for their weight/comfort. Haven't had a stack in them yet, but suspect they'll be much better in all regards than the evo XC's. Between these (easy days) and the IXS's (rougher days) I reckon I've got it sorted...

outlaw_inferno

Likes Bikes
POC stuff goes very well and is well worth the price in my opinion.

The VPD stuff in the knee guard and back protector is great (it conforms to the shape of whatever is below) and the elbow and knee/shin guards have protected me very well. I went for the 'Bone' hard shell stuff to give increased protection from sticks and miscellaneous sharp things.
It means I look like a stormtrooper all kitted up, but fuck it.

Dazzo

Likes Dirt
Im confused is this a DH topic?
I wish I was only able to fall off my DH bike, but no... I mostly ride XC and was after some light pads that I could ride in, including a few races. Fortunately, I manage to stay on my bike 99% of the time, unfortunately, as a result of that 1%, my knee now has stiches and missing chunks of skin :(

I don't think there is much of a question regarding knee pads and DH. I have the thickest, most heavy duty knee and shin pads I could find. Its bad enough falling off, but when the pedals of a DH bike can tear your leg off, you better be wearing something...

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
G-Form Sizing Charts

p4pb7430037.jpg

Knee Pad SIZING CHART
(measure around leg at the center of knee)
SIZE
INCHES
CM
2XS
9.5 - 11.0
24.1 - 27.9
XS
11.0 - 12.5
27.9 - 31.8
S
12.5 - 13.5
31.8 - 34.3
M
13.5 - 14.5
34.3 - 36.8
L
14.5 - 15.5
36.8 - 39.4
XL
15.5 - 16.5
39.4 - 41.9
2XL
16.5 - 18.0
41.9 - 45.7
3XL
18.0 - 20.0
45.7 - 50.8

wbi-2244-2626_large.jpg
Shin Pads SIZING CHART
(measure around thickest part of calf)
SIZE
INCHES
CM
2XS
9.0 - 10.5
22.9 - 26.7
XS
10.5 - 12.0
26.7 - 30.5
S
12.0 - 13.5
30.5 - 34.3
M
13.5 - 14.5
34.3 - 36.8
L
14.5 - 15.5
36.8 - 39.4
XL
15.5 - 16.5
39.4 - 41.9
2XL
16.5 - 18.0
41.9 - 45.7
3XL
18.0 - 19.5
45.7 - 49.5

G-Form.jpg
Elbow pads SIZING CHART
(measure around arm at the center of elbow)
SIZE
INCHES
CM
2XS
5.5 - 7.0
14.0 - 17.8
XS
7.0 - 8.5
17.8 - 21.6
S
8.5 - 9.5
21.6 - 24.1
M
9.5 - 10.5
24.1 - 26.7
L
10.5 - 11.5
26.7 - 29.2
XL
11.5 - 12.5
29.2 - 31.8
2XL
12.5 - 15.5
31.8 - 39.4
3XL
15.5 - 18.5
39.4 - 47.0

Unlike its neoprene competitors, G-Form's lycra compression material sheds heat and wicks moisture. It is also much lighter and more flexible all of which reduce the chance of chaffing. Exactly what you need when pedalling for hours. A very versatile piece of kit, with sizing to fit the ladies and the kids.

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
Not just for DH

It only takes a small mistake to come off into something like a rock or log, what ever, that can make a mess or at the least ruin a good ride. I'm not getting any younger and I don't want to add to the scars I already have on my knees. Besides SWMBO would be most displeased if i came home missing a knee cap or if was not where it was meant to be. Having said that I have some very moto full armour knee/shins that I wear when I am being Mr BMX or DH. 661 evo xc's are in the box/bag if I find myself riding somewhere new and/or rocky. They are light enough just to have in the back pack and you don't need to take off the shoes to put them on or off. Sizing is a bit big though...

+1 on the g-form pads, if you get the sizing right they sit reasonably well when pedalling and do make a big difference on impacts provided you land on the padded areas. I tend to use these all the time for xc rides. I also have the POC VPD knees but they tend to get hot/uncomfortable after pedalling for a while- it may be the hairy knees though!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Where can you buy the g form pads in Brisbane? Thanks
no where at present in Brisbane, but head to a retailer of your choice and ask them to contact Pushie Enterprises and we're happy to work with the shop. Most stores we've been too want to see rider demand before they put anything new on ... which is understandable I guess, so always good to get referrals.

If you don't have a fav store drop me a PM and I'll point you to who we are talking to or one of our dealers with a good online store.

Demo Eight

Likes Bikes
+1 for the G-Form knee pads, they're really light and thin, the heat doesn't build up and that matters over here in hot Perth.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't believe no one has mentioned 661 Kyle Straits??

I use mine for AM and light DH. I would like to think I am capable enough to not need them for XC :pirate:

Living in North Queensland, it gets very hot and I have done some big AM rides with them on. I think the best thing I can say about them is I forget I'm wearing them.

I have had a few tumbles in them, and they seem to be very durable and offer great protection

driftking

Wheel size expert
POC stuff goes very well and is well worth the price in my opinion.

The VPD stuff in the knee guard and back protector is great (it conforms to the shape of whatever is below) and the elbow and knee/shin guards have protected me very well. I went for the 'Bone' hard shell stuff to give increased protection from sticks and miscellaneous sharp things.
It means I look like a stormtrooper all kitted up, but fuck it.
Poc stuff is excellent, I use the knee pads. I find they are fairly tight up top but have only had a few instances where they fell a little bit but that was my loose doing up. They take a bit to stretch when you first buy them as they are fairly tight. In terms of performance they are graded at level 2 while most dh stuff is level 1. Even with the higher grading they mold to you once warmed (does not take long) and really you dont notice them at all when riding, you forget they are there and dont have that immediate want to take them off when done, iv even worn mine home they are just comfy, even in terms of heat they dont get super hot, once agin you dont have that inital want to get them off, you dont notice heat or sweat at all, you only notice the heat or sweat once you take them off. I ride with them under my long dh pants with no issue and heat doesnt seem any different from not wearing them.

That said They might be over kill for xc id deffinatly see if there are thinner versions out there, some of the ones in this thread looked really good in that regard. I cant reccomend the poc knees enough and iv only had a few months on them. But for xc I would be looking for something slim with minimal but enough protection. The comfortability of poc over hard protection is exceptional.

Last edited:

MRO

Likes Dirt
Can't believe no one has mentioned 661 Kyle Straits??

I use mine for AM and light DH. I would like to think I am capable enough to not need them for XC :pirate:

Living in North Queensland, it gets very hot and I have done some big AM rides with them on. I think the best thing I can say about them is I forget I'm wearing them.

I have had a few tumbles in them, and they seem to be very durable and offer great protection
I just started using these. A lot more protection than the very light xc pads but not uncomfortable. HucknRoll have limited sizes for $23!