Knee Pads

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I got Leatt 3DF 5.0 recently for myself. Just knee though, the knee shin are quite long and I didn’t want that. Went down to LBS and tried them on compared to Fox and whatever else they had there. Grabbed the leatts. Good thigh gripper. Tight enough around the calf to not need a strap. Don’t get in the way of my pedalling. Also have a kids pair for the little ones. No complaints from them either.

Unless you want to buy two pairs, I’d get knees and run separate shin pads. Couple of guys at the club do this. Otherwise, “too heavy, too hot, didn’t wear them, chicks dig scars right?”

Jabubu

let you google that for me
So perhaps just buy some soccer shin pads until he's confident not to need them any more?

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Better than guards is good shoes. Flat shoes with grip. Might already have those though.

I’d just get my boys to wear their soccer guards and long socks if I thought it was temporary. But I’m the dad that doesn’t care too much what they look like on the trails.

To be fair though. Soccer guards suck these days. Too much fashion involved with mini guards to meet the rules but nothing else. Hockey shin guards are where it’s at if you want full protection!

slowmick

38-39"
I like my shin pads to start at my shoes. With combined knee shin pads there is still a gap between your shoe and the pad. Getting hit with a pedal there hurts.

I have a pair of these and love them. Have had them for over 15 years. I wear them with separate knee pads.

The big advantage of these ones is they had a plastic insert in the front like a soccer shin guard but also the neoprene wraps all the way around the your leg and protects the back from pedal strikes. Mine have taken a beating, are taped up but keep on trucking.

Have a look at a bmx shop/website for shin pads. They seem to have a good selection. These ones might suit your purpose.