knees but no elbows

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wear gog's if it's even slightly coolish air temp otherwise I am crying like a baby half way down a run. Otherwise it's sunnies almost all other times. I can't afford to have issues with eye sight as I'm an air traffic controller and a pilot so I'll always have eye protection. I generally wear knee's if it's just XC type stuff as I have buggered knees from different surgeries. I'll wear elbows when I'm going to push it and at that point I'll most likely go to a full face helmet too.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've got goggles and glasses for riding in. I sweat a lot and tend to get me some fog action on both, so have a love hate thing happening which results in not wearing them regularly.

Goggles are great when you're riding rough terrain. They barely move and keep more shit out of your eyes, including air. At high speed air makes my eyes water. They are superior to glasses for protection but tend to fog easier.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Now I have found some good knee and elbow guards I wear most of the time unless XC. Also got some goggles after a spill a year ago. Face plant. Stitches above and below eye, grazed one side. Goggles would have prevented this. Goggles are soft and won't break/smash like sunnys, and protect more of your face.

Mate rode the new bike part in France? recently and his goggles saved him also. Can't share the pic but had a rock lodged straight at his eye. I think sunnys would have shattered and damage still occur. Sunnys are good maybe for branches and stuff overhanging the trails.

I wear elbows as I have metal just under the skin on my right elbow after the same crash I had. Sometimes I wear elbows only as Im not keen to smack the metal.

But goggles, definitely more than just for fashion.

binner

Hath shat hymself
always use protection, just like dad said when i was young

when I was younger I only wore knees & shins.... and didn't worry about elbows and such but after going OS to mountain riding where shit gets real I still though I was the shiz, so I rode whistler with only knees for a few weeks then after ride dont slide n other gnarly trails that I would fail on I was getting tired of eating shit and landing on the same fucking elbow over and over I finally went and bought elbow pads.
We are off there again soon and I'm not ashamed to say I'm seven years older and will be protecting myself as much as I fucking can. I think with age comes the will to be able to just survive the rides of the day so it can be done again the next day..... 661 is all I wear, never changed

Don't do this ........

Attachments

Last edited:

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Pretty much always knees. I don't own elbow pads, they've always seemed a little gumby to me. I've got full sleeve jerseys, so my arms a pretty much protected anyway. Usually it's my hands and forearms that get shredded in a crash, not the elbows.

Goggles if I'm running the fullface, they look cool and keep stuff out of your eyes and face.

Logic

Likes Dirt
I've got full sleeve jerseys, so my arms a pretty much protected anyway.
I somehow doubt that a thin piece of fabric would protect your elbows from getting shredded after a crash.
But I can agree with you that elbow pads aren't the most fashionable piece of clothing, I only wear them when I'm racing DH or doing any really gnarly stuff because they are pretty uncomfortable.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I somehow doubt that a thin piece of fabric would protect your elbows from getting shredded after a crash.
But I can agree with you that elbow pads aren't the most fashionable piece of clothing, I only wear them when I'm racing DH or doing any really gnarly stuff because they are pretty uncomfortable.
Even with knee pads when you come off with good speed they can catch on rocks and slide down your knee.

Logic

Likes Dirt
That might be caused by the plastic in the knee pad mate, there's another the same online with the Fox launch pros pads. Have a look in the comments section.
Ah stupid me, didn't even look at the comments. Yeah what he said makes sense.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ I've had the knee cup crack and cut my knee through the neoprene. I didn't realise (or expect?) such a injury could happen. I kept riding for a while and when I pulled the pads off, oh my what a mess!

I've also had the knee pad hook on the bars and rocks. It sucks! But I still wear them.

Logic

Likes Dirt
^ I've had the knee cup crack and cut my knee through the neoprene. I didn't realise (or expect?) such a injury could happen. I kept riding for a while and when I pulled the pads off, oh my what a mess!

I've also had the knee pad hook on the bars and rocks. It sucks! But I still wear them.
I find these types of injuries so funny, blissfully unaware of the injury untill hours later!
But that must have sucked for you man :(

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Fashion actually , the knee can handle more trauma than the elbow and elbows have further to fall.
when its serious i wear both.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I'm a big sook. Last year I spent 10 months out of action due to injury. I really don't want to repeat it so I wear knee/shin and body armor (shoulder/elbow/chest/back) all the time I'm riding anything that'll push me...

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I have to chime in to support goggles, I love wearing my fullface purely so I can wear my goggles, because goggles and half-nut is not going to happen.

The biggest advantage to goggles, for me, is that they isolate the wind and help me to focus, especially if racing. Riding in goggles feels slower than with sunnies, and feeling slower is usually faster....

Also in mud, because goggles have a much larger lens that is further from your face, the blind spot created by the same piece of dirt affects a smaller portion of your vision.

I usually ride in clear safety specs though, goggles are for when things are getting serious

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
identical to my elbow break also only a year ago. I also wear elbow pads just about every ride. Found some that you don't even know your wearing and have good protection so may as well.

How are you guys going 15-16years on? Did you get the wire and rods removed?