knees but no elbows

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Found some that you don't even know your wearing and have good protection so may as well.
What are they? I never wear mine as they're so uncomfortable and restrict the movement of my arms. Also feels like they cut off a bit of circulation.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I crash a bit, never damaged an elbow but knees, shins and upper thighs cop a beating. Tuck and roll is my mantra and knee pads work for me.

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
I grew up racing motocross and it was def uncool to wear them during that time, I guess I just carried the same mentality over when I switched to mountain bikes. I have tried but never found anything comfortable, having broken my elbow before I'd be keen to find some that are less restrictive and most importantly comfortable.

Goats

Squid
I grew up racing motocross and it was def uncool to wear them during that time, I guess I just carried the same mentality over when I switched to mountain bikes. I have tried but never found anything comfortable, having broken my elbow before I'd be keen to find some that are less restrictive and most importantly comfortable.
Dropotaro, if it helps I wear the Troy lee elbows and knees that have the hard caps.
So comfortable I've finished a few rides, started driving and then realised I still had the knee Guards on.

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
Dropotaro, if it helps I wear the Troy lee elbows and knees that have the hard caps.
So comfortable I've finished a few rides, started driving and then realised I still had the knee Guards on.
Thanks mate, I have a pair of dainese trail skins knee pads that I've found to be super comfortable. I have never tried the troy lee elbows tho, having had a few different pairs of hard shell knee pads over the years I know that they offer good protection. I'll to try and mind a pair to demo.

Anyone on the fence about this should check out D30 based pads such as TLD speed. I put knees and elbows on at home before even getting into the car. They're really just like extra clothing in comfort.

Also to any other newbies out there I fractured my elbow going about 5 km/hr (no joke). Any contact points to the ground after random gumby bike stacks (hands, knees, elbows) should be protected. The fracture was mighty "uncomfortable". Those bone breaks in the previous posts look horrendous, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Anyone on the fence about this should check out D30 based pads such as TLD speed. I put knees and elbows on at home before even getting into the car. They're really just like extra clothing in comfort.
I can vouch for the D30 stuff. Not quite like extra clothing, but they do offer excellent protection and are a lot more comfortable than any other hard shell protection I've worn.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Also to any other newbies out there I fractured my elbow going about 5 km/hr (no joke). Any contact points to the ground after random gumby bike stacks (hands, knees, elbows) should be protected. The fracture was mighty "uncomfortable". Those bone breaks in the previous posts look horrendous, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Both my broken elbows weren't done on the trails. First one was done during an Ironman triathlon (hit a pothole and got slammed). Second one was doing a mono (very badly) out the front of my house. It doesn't take a lot to destroy an unprotected elbow!

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
What are they? I never wear mine as they're so uncomfortable and restrict the movement of my arms. Also feels like they cut off a bit of circulation.
I'm using Fox Racing Launch Pro elbows. They are great. Light, small, cup your elbow. And what I like best is good protection to the elbow and around with padding and a shell. Also soft padding inside which is why I changed from what I was using. My other ones would rub on the metal rods under the skin, the Fox's don't.

I also use the Dainese trail skin knees. These are 3years old now and elastic has gone but still fit and work great. Light and comfy and have crashed dozens of times in them. Never a direct knee hit though.

bloodpuddle

Likes Bikes
I wear knees & elbows for pretty much any ride off-road.

I've found on easier trails it's more my forearms that get hit - eg. getting careless and too close to trees in tight singletrack, which is not enough to crash but enough to take some skin off my forearms.

There are some TLD elbow guards that have a semi-hard shell and go all the way down the forearm. I'm onto my 2nd pair and am pretty happy with them. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/troy-lee-designs-egl-5550-elbow-forearm-guard/rp-prod59942

As with knees, they make everything hotter & sweatier but I'm happy to live with that even in summer instead of the irritation of long bloody abrasions down my arm.

And goggles at bike parks etc or wherever it's very dusty. Otherwise glasses.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I wear knees & elbows for pretty much any ride off-road.

I've found on easier trails it's more my forearms that get hit - eg. getting careless and too close to trees in tight singletrack, which is not enough to crash but enough to take some skin off my forearms.

There are some TLD elbow guards that have a semi-hard shell and go all the way down the forearm. I'm onto my 2nd pair and am pretty happy with them. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/troy-lee-designs-egl-5550-elbow-forearm-guard/rp-prod59942

As with knees, they make everything hotter & sweatier but I'm happy to live with that even in summer instead of the irritation of long bloody abrasions down my arm.

And goggles at bike parks etc or wherever it's very dusty. Otherwise glasses.
THIS. I always wear elbow and knee pads for these sort of reasons. any stack can be one that could injure your elbows and/or knees. cool/uncool is bullshit. if its restriction of movement that is the issue, get some lightweight pads. plenty to choose from on the market.

I wear POC VPD 2.0 knees and DH elbows. + shin guards if riding flat pedals. can be sweaty in summer but don't care because they fit well and give good protection. if it's an area covered by the pads , I hardly feel a thing in a stack.

one of my elbow pads has a deep gouge in the plastic hard cap, from a fall on rock. That would have been in my flesh and bone if not wearing pads.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
THIS. I always wear elbow and knee pads for these sort of reasons. any stack can be one that could injure your elbows and/or knees. cool/uncool is bullshit. if its restriction of movement that is the issue, get some lightweight pads. plenty to choose from on the market.

I wear POC VPD 2.0 knees and DH elbows. + shin guards if riding flat pedals. can be sweaty in summer but don't care because they fit well and give good protection. if it's an area covered by the pads , I hardly feel a thing in a stack.

one of my elbow pads has a deep gouge in the plastic hard cap, from a fall on rock. That would have been in my flesh and bone if not wearing pads.
Shinnies everywhere because I ride flats. Knee/shinnies when it's more downhill focussed. Elbow pads for the same reason.