Know of/used any cheap automotive tyre sealants?

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just wondering if anyone has tried an automotive tyre sealant in their MTB tyres? I spied this tonight & thought i'd ask if anyone has experience with is or anything like it before I bite the bullet...

moorey

call me Mia
Used to use that sort of stuff inside the tubes way back in the day. Are you sure it’s meant as tubeless sealant?
I bought some bright green ‘slime’ sealant 12 months ago on sale...it’s literally like mucous. There’s no way I’d use it.

safreek

Tried slime once, it came all over me and the bike. Did fuck all except remind me of the old days

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I recently bought some of the slime stuff, figured it couldn't be too terrible.

1 - it's thick as fuck, literally no use at all as it comes out of the bottle.

2 - it's green as fuck, if you thought Stan's or Joe's was messy, this is next level

3 - it's wayyyyyy cheaper than the alternatives, so I'm going to persevere...

I've mixed it with water, roughly half/half and it comes out about the right consistency. Seals fine, no worse than Joe's or Stan's. I use a little more because I'm a bit less wary of wastage. I've had a tyre bulge on me due to mistreatment so had to change it, no issues I could see in there aside from all the green. Was only on a couple of weeks, but hadn't left a coating on the inside yet, poured back out of the tyre and reused just fine.

Being bad for alloys doesn't sound so great to me, but surely car wheels aren't made from such different stuff? Surely they test the goo to make sure car wheels aren't going to melt? I'm sceptical but now wary, off to google I go

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
If it’s about money, I’ve been tempted to try this on Quinn and the wife’s bike. Purely to help seal up, they never puncture.
Hurts me using my stans race sealant on their bikes. Particularly the wife, who’s goo will dry up between sporadic use. (Make a sex joke...go on)
https://www.pushys.com.au/effetto-mariposa-caffelatex-tubeless-sealant-1000ml-bottle.html
i use it cos it’s less toxic, no ammonia seals really well, it helps that it’s cheap, lasts as long as stand too

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been buying the Mitus 1l from ebay, it's not the best for sealing big holes but it doesn't dry very fast like some of the others.
The Mitus stuff is Rubena sealant re-badged (or is it the other way around?). I've been using it for years & it works well. Lasts up to 6 Months in a tyre which in my experience is about as good a result as you can expect.

I was just keen to get feedback from the Community on alternatives. Keep 'em coming! :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just wait on a sale and buy from HiBike, can buy 1L bottles down near €10, last cheap stuff I got was the e13, can rem price but we'll under 20 bucks each.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The Mitus stuff is Rubena sealant re-badged (or is it the other way around?). I've been using it for years & it works well. Lasts up to 6 Months in a tyre which in my experience is about as good a result as you can expect.

I was just keen to get feedback from the Community on alternatives. Keep 'em coming! :)
I believe it is, I bought it under the Rubena brand also. In the past I've used orange sealant but it got too hard finding it at a good price.

sbm

Likes Bikes
There's always Keith Bontrager's homebrew recipe.

• 2 cups / 480 ml water
  • 1 cup / 240 ml ethyelne glycol
  • 1 cup / 240 ml latex
  • 2-3 tbs cornmeal

moorey

call me Mia
Mariposa Caffelatex first test...big nope from me. Two nopes in fast. (Bought 2 bloody litres of the stuff)

Testing it in Felix's school bike. Put it in a couple of days ago, even though the Stans in there had been fine.

Calls me this morning, got a flat on the way to school, and it won't seal up. He was close to my work, so I ducked over to check it out. Has a tiny puncture between the tread, it indeed won't seal up, despite being very small. I suspect its an old puncture that Stans has repeatedly sealed up.

Pull tyre off rim to chuck in a tube...and this shit is all froth. Its literally like a slapstick bubble bath in there. no runny latex, chockers with froth. I had used about 100ml, and not a drop was liquid. It oozes out everywhere...over me, over rotor, won't pour out, couldn't really wipe out, it just pushed froth around.

I have 5 min max to fix this and get him on the road again. Insert tube, as I inflate, froth oozes and shoots out everywhere as tube inflates, and sprays as it beads.

Now, it MAY be meant to froth like this, hence its colour and its name.....but this froth did nothing to seal the puncture, and was an absolute PITA to try to work with as a roadside repair.

Am I expecting too much for it to do its job? Am I doing it wrong?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I haven't tried mine yet, still got half a bottle of Mitus left. Doesn't look good if it can't seal a small hole but it might be reacting with the Stans that's why I was going to wait until I load a new tyre on.

moorey

call me Mia
Removed all the old stans. Out of the bottle it was all froth. Good luck trying to shake it up. It went to solid froth straight away, making shaking pretty futile.

moorey

call me Mia
Oh, and it’s so frothy that it oozes/sprays out of valve if you want to lower pressure or deflate tyre. I’m assuming this will quickly clog the valve.

I’m hoping it’s just one bad experience. I want this stuff to work for (non race) bikes. Will try on another tyre and report back.