Kona 24 Hour Moves House!!!

sossy

Saucier
Just got this off the FGP Forum, looks damn tempting...

These guys know how to put on a race, Having been to the last three 12 and 24 hours FGP have run, I am pretty excited by this one. New ideas for 24 hour racing, check out the 3 different lap format through out the 24 hours, something new and different, I like the idea.

Below is part of the release, I edited out some of the less important stuff.

fgp said:
New Home for the Kona 24hr!

It was going to take some special trails for the Kona 24hr to ‘move house’.

Get ready, because Full Gas Promotions has found those trails and more. The 2007 event, to be held on December 1 & 2, will take in some of the most exciting and up-til-now ‘secret’ trails that surround the idyllic township of Forrest, in the heart of the Otways National Park.

Riders of the 2007 Kona 24hr will be treated to some of Australia’s most scenic and superbly flowing single track. Could you ask for more? Yes! Also new for 2007 and for 24hr racing worldwide, the course will comprise of three varied circuits; a rollercoaster single track to get things started, a speedy flowing loop for night laps and then something fresh to test your skills in the morning.

The epicentre of the event will be at the Yaugher-Forrest football ground with trails heading out into the picturesque surrounding area. Tight and twisty tea-tree tracks, curvy trails that disappear around giant ferns and unbelievable berm rides through beautiful rainforest. This course will excite every rider without a doubt.

With the local football and Lions clubs keeping you well fed and watered in their bar, this year’s event will have everything you need for an awesome time with your cycling buddies. Absolutely every rider will love this course, regardless of their ability or level of seriousness! Add to that, the relaxed surroundings and FGP’s seamless organisation and you have an event not to miss.

Get your team together now, as entries open 9am Wednesday 11 July, and are limited. Go to www.kona24hour.com

toby

Likes Dirt
as a competitor in this years otway odessy i can tell you there is some damn fine single track in this area...

also some damn nasty hills!

funky

Likes Dirt
Interested to know how the three different laps will work? how do you determine a winner? Which laps are more important?

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
Interested to know how the three different laps will work? how do you determine a winner? Which laps are more important?
I thought that each course would be run at differnt time stage of the race, and then it's still total number of laps. But I wonder how it would work since each team would be coming through transition at different times. Best place to pose such a question would be on the fgp froums.

sossy

Saucier
From my understanding from those in the know, the three courses idea works as such...

1200 - 1800 - One course
1800 - 0600 - second course (shorter, faster, less technical than day course)
0600 - 1200 - third course (somewhere between the first two)

The idea being tactics will come into it, a 10 minute lead may mean waiting to go shorter course to stay ahead of competition, or risk it and head out on the longer loop, same as at 0600 bust a nut to get another shorter lap in...

Sounds awesome, FGP seem to be bringing some innovation to 24 hour racing, making you think at crucial times to work out where to go...

Me likey.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
AFAIK this is a first for 24 hour racing. If you want to find out how it goes, enter the race and you can see it in action first hand :D.

Murray

Squid
I also hear that the race will be starting at the Forest Footy Oval which means for those that recall the 10min sandy climb at the start of section 2 of the Odyssey that climb will have to be at the start of every lap regardless of which track you do! :mad:

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also hear that the race will be starting at the Forest Footy Oval which means for those that recall the 10min sandy climb at the start of section 2 of the Odyssey that climb will have to be at the start of every lap regardless of which track you do! :mad:
From what Kristjan has been saying on the FGP forums they are using a fair bit of new track which has been made since the Otway Odyssey, so that probably won't be the case.

Snozza

Full Gas Promotions
Don't believe everything you hear and never assume anything...

That climb won't be at the start of each lap; FGP are working with DSE/PV on having an alternate trail built over the next month or so so that it might be a little longer, but it won't hurt nearly as much... in fact you may even smile.

Murray

Squid
That sounds like good news to me, will it still mean a fair bit of comuting to and from the footy oval and trails?:)