Kona Honzo - 99% fat free

mitchy_

Llama calmer
planted a seed in the wife's head that i had just about enough parts for a whole other bike.
"...oh no" was her only response. that's basically a yes, so i present my latest project.

Frame: 2015 Kona Honzo ST (thanks Zaf)
Fork: 2016 FOX 34 120mm Fit4 (thanks MountGower!) these were originally going to be Revelations, but i've been itching to try the new 34's.... i hope they dont make me regret not having black staunchions.
Headset: Cane Creek
Handlebars: Specialized 780mm
Brakes: Sram Guide R
Rotors: Sram Centreline 200/180
Stem: Spank Spike 35mm
Seatpost: Nukeproof Oklo w/- Specialized SRL lever
BB: Sram GXP
Crank: Sram XX1
Chainring: Sram Blackbox
Cassette: Sram XG-1150
Rear Mech: Sram GX
Shifter: Sram GX
Chain: yes
Wheels:
29" Roval fatties with 2.3" Specialized Butcher/Purgatory
29" LB 35mm carbon on Hope Pro 2's with 2.3/2.5" Maxxis Minion DHF/DHRII
27.5" Nextie 42mm carbon on Hope Pro 4's with 2.8" Maxxis Minion DHF/DHRII

i wanted something to complement the Endurbro, something fun and borderline silly was needed.
both will be setup quite similar feel wise. saddle, grips and cockpit are all identical.

given the 3 wheel options i have between both bikes, it's almost like i have more bikes than i really do... fatties for XC duties, LB's for faster gnarlier tracks and the Nextie's for ball tearing grip.
for now i envision the nextie's will stay on the enduro, and the LB's will stay on the honzo... but i'll definitely try the plus wheels on the honzo, it was part of the reason i opted for a plus compatible frame.

for now, a few pics will do until the last remaining pieces arrive, hopefully next week.

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

Are we now racing to complete our builds? Because it is so on!

Need to let JTmofo know this is happening as well. He's gotta get his Honzo done soon as well.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
planted a seed in the wife's head that i had just about enough parts for a whole other bike.
for now, a few pics will do until the last remaining pieces arrive, hopefully next week.
Fess up mitchy, exactly how much was 'just enough parts' and what did you have to order/buy to complete the build? :boink:

Might try that one myself: 'honey, I've got a pair of pedals, a couple more bits and I've got a whole other bike...'

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast

Need to let JTmofo know this is happening as well. He's gotta get his Honzo done soon as well.

hahahaha..... fear not! I've been following the Honzo plans for a while now!

My funds have had a momentary restriction..... just when I needed to splash out on forks!!!

I pressed in my headset this weekend..... at least its a start!

Looking forward to seeing it built up Mitchy (And the Ti weapon Zaf).......

mitchy_

Llama calmer

It's on like donkey kong! Think you've got me beat though.

Fess up mitchy, exactly how much was 'just enough parts' and what did you have to order/buy to complete the build? :boink:

Might try that one myself: 'honey, I've got a pair of pedals, a couple more bits and I've got a whole other bike...'
Hahaha. I was quite surprised just how much I'd replaced on the Enduro. Entire cockpit, brakes, most of the drivetrain, wheels, seat.... I had to buy a frame, fork, crank and went for a shorter stem as this is a large frame.

hahahaha..... fear not! I've been following the Honzo plans for a while now!

My funds have had a momentary restriction..... just when I needed to splash out on forks!!!

I pressed in my headset this weekend..... at least its a start!

Looking forward to seeing it built up Mitchy (And the Ti weapon Zaf).......
Ditto! Will be able to give you an idea of frame clearance on a plus tyre too.
I'm jealous of your raw frame though. I hunted high and low for one, all I could find was an XL for $999. :(
2017 frames seem to have kept the same finishes, but are boost as well which is no good for me and my desire to swap wheels between bikes.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
How do you the rate the quality on the Nextie rims ? I'm thinking of buying some for the next new bike.
Purely from a look and feel perspective they were as good, if not better than my LB's. Very impressed so far. I took some pics before I built them up, will pair them later tonight.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Canyon Nerve i'm told. just had a quick look and they are identical spec to the camber though. good to see 120mm bikes coming out with decent forks, no 32mm crap.
Yep, nerve
Had they been kashima i would have grabbed them

mint355

Likes Dirt
Lowly pair of non-kashima 34's would be outcast in all your gear...
Ha, hey 2 of my bikes have lowly xt groupsets... none have Carbon cranks and one still has alloy Rims!!! Have you got the Honzo yet? My Riot got delivered today

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Ha, hey 2 of my bikes have lowly xt groupsets... none have Carbon cranks and one still has alloy Rims!!! Have you got the Honzo yet? My Riot got delivered today

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
Fark, talk about slumming it... :lol:

Sure do, picked it up about 2 hours ago. Will start on it tonight!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
have just realised my phone camera is badly scuffed....

cue some bad photos.

it's good enough to ride tomorrow morning.. then i'll get to work sorting out the cables, SRL lever, etc.

changed wheels midway through the build, but have gone back to 29" just to see how it was meant to be ridden.

Z

Zaf

Yeeeeuiiiii!!!

Ditched the bottle cage for maximum weight savings, and swept up the handlebars.

Seattube not too long with the 5“ dropper? She fit okay in the driveway?
I was kinda hoping you'd mount the cranks the way I sent them and try pedalling like that for a while.