Kona Magic Link Explained - Video

tyron

Likes Dirt
[video=youtube;fIb1rSb3J5A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIb1rSb3J5A[/video]

Kona raised eyebrows when it announced its Magic Link-equipped Coil-Air in 2008. After all, the company hadn’t produced a new suspension system for
the better part of a decade, choosing instead to rely on the classic four-bar design. What the four-bar lacked in sexy marketing mojo, it made up for with
trademark Kona durability. But when the company decided it wanted a better mousetrap, it did so with a newfangled design, the likes of which the industry had never seen—which is really saying something, considering the staggering number of suspension concepts that have come and gone. The 2009 CoilAir transitioned from 6 to 7.4 inches of travel, thanks to a secondary “magic” link. For 2010, Kona has refined the system and spread the technology to more of the lineup. The revamped CoilAir has shed more than a pound, and travel now floats between 5 and 7.7 inches. The all-new Cadabra platform, meanwhile, has a travel range of 4 to 6.4 inches, and easily builds up to a sub-30-pound trail bike.

Brian Berthold has worked as a suspension engineer in a variety of sports—from motocross to Formula One. As the owner of Therapy Components, he’s made floating brake-arm kits for mountain bikes for over a decade, and he has been developing frames with Kona for the past three years.
Is it hard to get people to believe in Magic? At first, yes. We were not only introducing a totally new concept—a bizarre concept—but also, it’s not an extension of a known theme, like a VPP or something. Some feared it was too complicated, and wouldn’t hold up, but [test rider] Joe Schwartz, he travels around the world for Kona. I can’t remember how many vertical feet he put on his bike, but his Coil-Air is the most horsewhipped frame around, and those extra pivots didn’t
seem to be a problem for him. The Magic Link bikes this year get a radical change—why? I learned a lot more about working with Kona’s manufacturing capabilities. The rocker pivot is now forward of the seat tube, so in order to feed the stresses properly, we made this one-piece forging that has to be solid where the rocker link goes through, but then morph into this sheet-metal-thin shell. It’s like a molded or cast piece, but it’s forged, so it’s incredibly light. And it makes for a
much better-looking frame. Then we took the new downtube from the Cadabra and beefed it up to CoilAir standards. Even though every piece on the CoilAir is thicker, it’s based on the same thing. Why bring the Magic Link to shorter-travel bikes? Many people, myself included, wanted a bike that did everything the first bike did, but didn’t want to lug that frame around because they weren’t jumping off houses. This thing feels like an XC bike. When you’re riding it on level ground, it feels snappy, sprinty. It feels like it would be harsh, but then you just start clobbering stuff with it. How does the Magic Link system work on the Cadabra?
When the Magic Link is fully active, the bike has 6.4 inches of travel. But it’s based off of a 4-inch-travel frame. Because I’m only getting 4 inches of original travel, I need a shorter shock and a shorter rocker to drive it. Now I’m saving weight. That’s a 1.5-inch-stroke air shock for a 2.7- to 2.8-to-1 motion ratio. But we’re getting nearly 6.5 inches of travel. No one else on the planet will get that much out of a 1.5-inch-stroke shock.

Last edited:

metalhead39

Likes Bikes
will this system find its way onto other models such as the stinky and stab perhaps, reason for this question is that most tracks in australia are more flat than most overseas and require considerable amount more pedaling than what you might do over in new zealand or canada.
big props to kona for breaking the "kona are not the best, stay clear of them" sort of attitude with riders to more of a bike that will win them races rather than break half way though a race.

tyron

Likes Dirt
...and neither does Kona. If I've watched the video correctly, they're getting that much travel out of 2 shocks...
The aux shock controls the magic link, when the magic link moves back under forces explained in the video the ratio changes and the 6.5" of travel is achieved by the fox shock!

I rode the Abra Cadabra out at the You Yangs last weekend and so did many others, they were all pleasantly surprised.

You should try one as proof is in the pudding...

Ty

indica

Serial flasher
I'm not knocking the bike as I quite like Konas, but is it a good thing to get excessive travel out of a shock?
I though the idea was to use a longer stroke shock for longer travel, instead of putting too much pressure on things? Anyone with some engineering idea want to enlighten me.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I'm not knocking the bike as I quite like Konas, but is it a good thing to get excessive travel out of a shock?
I though the idea was to use a longer stroke shock for longer travel, instead of putting too much pressure on things? Anyone with some engineering idea want to enlighten me.
Adding to indica's thoughts, how do you tune compression and rebound damping when your leverage ratio varies so much? i.e 2.6 to 4.3 . The shock damping would be a compromise, over-damped for 4" and under-damped (?) for 6.5".

tyron

Likes Dirt
That is a valid question, the bike isn't in the higher leverage ratio all the time. The bike moves from 4" of travel to 6.5" of travel and anywhere in between depending on the forces, also take into consideration that the quality of rear shoch and technology have come on a long way. The Magic Link has been in testing for over 2 years and rear shocks have NOT been an issue.

On the weekend just past Karim Amour wins again in a super enduro in Italy.

http://www.behindmagazine.com/contents/?p=13685

tyron

Likes Dirt
Adding to indica's thoughts, how do you tune compression and rebound damping when your leverage ratio varies so much? i.e 2.6 to 4.3 . The shock damping would be a compromise, over-damped for 4" and under-damped (?) for 6.5".
Another great question however the VIDEO below in this thread explains your question from the 1:42 in the video. The bike starts in a linear position and becomes more progressive as the Magic Link goes through its motion.

Brian Berthold who is the man behind the Magic Link owns and runs 2Btherapy http://2btherapy.com/index.php/roots has the following knowledge base -

2004 World DH Championship , Fabien Barel/Kona bikes; Brake Therapy Floating Brakes
2001 First Native American driver (Cory Withirill) to qualify for the Indy 500; Trackside Engineering Services
1999 Team Gordon/Toyota CART Program Best results for new team/engine including first top 10 finishes;.Trackside Engineering, Shock Therapy 4 way adjustable dampers
1999 4 race wins in Indy Lights series, Drivers: Derek Higgins/Mario Dominguez; Trackside Engineering , Shock Therapy 4 way adjustable dampers
1998 Team Tomac DH team John Tomac, Cheri Elliot, Sari Jorgenson; Brake Therapy Floating Brakes
1995/96 Lola Cars, U.S. Technical Director; Engineering Liason for all US CART/Indy Car and Indy Lights
1996 Shock Therapy Front Fork; One of the first double crown, 7" travel, fully adjustable compression and rebound damping
1993 Shock Therapy Bicycle Shock; Adjustable Compression and Rebound, Adjustable Air Volume/Rising Rate
1993 Pole, Indy 500 Team Ganassi/Arie Luyendyk; Shock Therapy 4 way adjustable dampers
1992 Ligier Formula 1 Team, first podium result in over 10 years; 4 way adjustable dampers/Trackside Engineering
1992 Citroen Rally/Raid, won Paris/Peking off road race; Damper design
1991 Nissan GTP Team, Drivers and Manufacturers Championship;, Chief Race Engineer and Aerodynamicist
1989 Audi Factory IMSA GTO Team, 7 race wins;,,Chief Trackside Race Engineer
1988 Audi Factory SCCA Trans AM Team, Series Championship; Chief Trackside Race Engineer
1986/87 Jaguar IMSA GTP car, 3 race wins; Race, Aerodynamic and Development Engineering
1985 Developed First Variable Cam Timing System for IC Engines Inventor/Designer
1972-85 AMA Motocross Shock Development Rider

Brian has worked on suspension for Formula 1, Indy Car & motocross and understands ALL the demands. Kona has had Brian working on this system for over 2 years and in that time have taken all elements into consideration.

You must try one...

riene5

Likes Bikes
Apologies for the thread mine...

Tyron, do you know how much the magic link setup is dependent on the shock that comes with the bike?
Is the shock specially valved for the bike?

I'm keen to get an AM bike and the Coilair is one of the front runners, but I want to get a bike that I can try different rear shocks on.
Would the magic link setup be upset if you were to place a Vivid / DHX air or coil shock on the rear?

ozimad

Likes Dirt
I bought a Coilair in 2010 which had the MAGIC LINK thingo... I sold the bike within the month of owning it.

Just did not work for me and felt it was FARRR from magic.. Bought a Reign X1 and have been smiling since.. This is only my opinion of course

riene5

Likes Bikes
Cheers mate, the Giant is also a front runner!
The bikes are a steal for what you get, I've seen the X1 for around $3K.

I liked the fact that Kona tried something different though.
Tough choice to make when you can't try it out for a couple of rides before buying.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a ride of a mates Kona with Magic Link........It had the worst pedal kickback Ive ever felt, didnt like the feel of it at all.
And certainly when you hit big drops/gaps and bumps, didnt notice the head angle slacken or any such thing as the video purports, as usually the front and back wheels come up toward the frame at a relatively equal or proportional amount and the frame stayed essentially level with the ground. I take this claim as marketing hype.

But it was just as supple over small stuff as any other trail bike.

No greater than any other other trail bike ive ridden.

ozimad

Likes Dirt
Cheers mate, the Giant is also a front runner!
The bikes are a steal for what you get, I've seen the X1 for around $3K.

I liked the fact that Kona tried something different though.
Tough choice to make when you can't try it out for a couple of rides before buying.
I reackon you could get one for under 3K... Awesome bike the X1.

tyron

Likes Dirt
Apologies for the thread mine...

Tyron, do you know how much the magic link setup is dependent on the shock that comes with the bike?
Is the shock specially valved for the bike?

I'm keen to get an AM bike and the Coilair is one of the front runners, but I want to get a bike that I can try different rear shocks on.
Would the magic link setup be upset if you were to place a Vivid / DHX air or coil shock on the rear?
The shock is valved for the bike and you set it up the same as you would any other shock for that style of bike. Regarding other comments in this thread regarding kick back in the pedals I would say the magic link was setup incorrectly and most likely had to much pre-load on the aux spring.. Kona are testing and air/oil aux shock on Karim Armour and Matt Slavens magic link bikes and should see that in 2013...

Ty