Kona Process 153 DL 27.5

Shredden

Knows his goats
I've had the new bike for a few months now and been loving it, so thought I'd chuck some pics up.

For the past few years I've only really had a DH bike (2012 Pivot Phoenix, recently sold it) which was awesome but definitely starting to show its age. Prior to that I'd had heaps of second hand bikes, and I had decided I wanted to try buying a brand new one. I was struggling to find anything suitable in XL, and the ones I could find, I often felt like they weren't cheap enough - I decided I'd happily pay like $1k for a bike that hasn't been flogged by a big fatty for 2 or 3 years.

I figured the Pivot was 7 years old, so if I could keep the new bike for that long I'd have gotten my moneys worth. It took a good couple of months of living on baked beans and noodles but I ended up with a budget of around $4k. The Process came up at a good discount, so I jumped on it and I've been pretty stoked so far. Happy to answer any questions anyone has :)

The only upgrades I've done are: DMR Vault pedals, the Syncros side-entry bottle cage with built in multitool, and the SRAM Guide Ultimate brakes.

Next upgrades on the list: 203mm rotors both ends and Trickstuff Power Pads, an under-bar dropper lever and working out how to neatly carry a spare tube and CO2 canisters on the bike. Are saddle bags cool? Or out of fashion?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Nice doggo!

I use one of the mutherload straps on my Process to have tyre leavers and spare tube strapped to down tube, rather than a saddlebag. Also waiting on a Dakine hotlaps gripper bag to get delivered for multitool and couple other spares.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good looking bike. The Dakine hot laps strap/bag/thing is really good for holding a tube, levers, a multitool and co2.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I like your pooch, border collie?
She sure is, the pound I got her from had her down as a "Border Collie Mix" but I'm fairly sure there isn't any other breeds in there. I got her just over a year ago and she's been awesome. From what we've been able to work out she's about 11 now.

It took a good bit of searching to find an older border collie/working breed dog that was happy to live with other dogs (I knew she would have to stay at my parents place occasionally and they have a Cavoodle) and somewhere that would let me, as a 21 year old, adopt. But we got there in the end and I reakon she's loving life :D

Shredden

Knows his goats
Cheers for the suggestion on tube/co2 storage too - I'm not sure I can do the fanny pack but the mutherload straps look good, and I reakon there might be space under the water bottle.. Definitely on the short list.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Like the look of these Processes (and the dog!).

Really random question - are those shots taken along the Moonee Ponds Creek under the Wilson St/Victoria St bridge in Brunswick West? I did a lot of tree-planting along the creek there in years gone by and it looks oddly familiar.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Really random question - are those shots taken along the Moonee Ponds Creek under the Wilson St/Victoria St bridge in Brunswick West? I did a lot of tree-planting along the creek there in years gone by and it looks oddly familiar.
Hahah yep you're spot on, good eye! It's right in the middle of the ride to 7/11 ;)

Ohhh I see, when I googled it was showing up with fanny packs. That does look like a great product, cheers for that. I like that the tube has some protection from the elements, given how long it will probably be there for.

moorey

call me Mia
Chuck on some frame protection. Felix adores his, and rides it like the wind, but the paint is thin and brittle.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Chuck on some frame protection. Felix adores his, and rides it like the wind, but the paint is thin and brittle.
Have done, got some thicker gorilla tape for the downtube and chain/seatstays. Still need to work something out for the top tube, haven't been able to get anything to fit properly and not look fucked.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
BC's are great, so intelligent. Can be a bit crazy but I'd find it hard to get a different breed next time around. Ours is 12 and suffers from some joint issues, so I'd look for a mix with mostly BC.

Have done, got some thicker gorilla tape for the downtube and chain/seatstays. Still need to work something out for the top tube, haven't been able to get anything to fit properly and not look fucked.
Check out the Altrex headlight/ paint protection film from Supercheap. A bit of heat from a hairdryer would let you fit it onto compound curves

doihoi

Likes Dirt
She sure is, the pound I got her from had her down as a "Border Collie Mix" but I'm fairly sure there isn't any other breeds in there. I got her just over a year ago and she's been awesome. From what we've been able to work out she's about 11 now.

It took a good bit of searching to find an older border collie/working breed dog that was happy to live with other dogs (I knew she would have to stay at my parents place occasionally and they have a Cavoodle) and somewhere that would let me, as a 21 year old, adopt. But we got there in the end and I reakon she's loving life :D
So good to hear you've given her a second chance at life :)

discofrank

Likes Dirt
piss that stuff off

laser cut to your bike AND size of frame
did my zerode easy enough covers at least 90% of the bike frame even the back of the seat tube and inside the chainstay/swingarm!

ps thats ALOT of post :p

stirk

Burner
Nice bike, that seat angle suggests you are a giraffee! On my Process 134 the area of concern for frame protection is the rear brake cable as it sits snug against the chain stay and started to wear a groove into the alloy.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Invisiframe looks great, I saw it when I was originally looking. 140ish AUD is a bit outta the budget for now though, even though it would probably pay for itself by reducing the depreciation :/ Maybe over summer when the money trickle starts up again I'll grab one. I'll double check the brake hose routing at the back, but I think remember adjusting the hose angle when I fitted the new guides to make sure it doesn't rub.

I'm a tiny bit over 190cm which isn't too out there, but I agree that the seat height does look pretty huge. I'm still working on getting it right (never had a dropper post before) and I'm thinking I probably need to go about 10mm lower.