Kona - steel - experience? And fat roadies??

slo

Likes Dirt
Looking to get a new commuter / road / do all bike.
Pretty set on something in the Kona steel frame, just because.
Big fan of the 2016 Roadhouse, but it will be a matter of available sizing / price on those.
Realistically will probably end up on a Rove ST or a Honky Tonk / Tonk.

Anyone had experience with the Kona steel range? Thoughts?
Hows the new fad of wide tyres run compared to traditional road wheels??

Thanks yall!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I had a rove for a short period. Not a fan of steel, mainly because of the weight, but this thing felt really solid. I had a steel 29er and couldn't tell what everyone was banging on about the buzz, but definately noticed on the rove.

I've run 25c on 622x16 and 622x 19 with no problems. 19c is pretty wide for road and 25 should be ok. Didn't notice anything significantly different coming from a 16c apart from being easier to fit the tyre.

If you want fat roadies, I had a kona dew (the oldstyle with straight tubes) with bull horns I rigged up for kicks (only got one ride) and a monstercross. Can't recommend fat tyres enough for a commute unless you are unfit like me or have to keep up with mates on skinny tyres.

Last edited:

poita

Likes Dirt
Not steel, but I ride an alloy Dew drop and it's pretty comfy. More on the cx before cx was a thing bandwagon.

Current roadie is an old steel frame with 28s tubeless and it hums along just fine. It does weigh about 4 kilos more than your average roadie but boy is it a glorious ride. Probably a lot to due with tubeless and 28s, but the steel definitely adds something.

Snockers

Likes Bikes
I've been riding a Surly Straggler for over 2 years now, and for me the fat tyre gravel/cx thing is pretty perfect, but that's essentially what it comes down to: what do you want it for?

Mine's basically a ~200km a week commuter, loaded with my clothes/lunch for work for most of that, commuting mostly on bike paths that are either poorly maintained concrete/bitumen or gravel. On weekends I usually go on longer gravel/bike path/backroad rides. Basically it spends a most of its time offroad.

A mate of mine has a Rove ST which is very similar to the Straggler, with a bit less versatility built into the frame, and not quite as heavy-duty tubeset. I think most of the weight in the stock bike there really is in the wheel/tyre combo, you can probably drop 0.5-1kg there by changing to lighter 40c tyres or dropping down to something like 28c tyre. I think if you've got good bike paths and aren't going to be spending much time offroad, a Rove, '16/'17 Roadhouse or '17 Wheelhouse with 28c tyres would be perfect, but if you're wanting to load up and/or spend more time on poor surfaces, stick with ~40c tyres and more toward the Rove end of the spectrum.

As for fat tyres, I'm loving them. But again, a lot of that comes down to what you use it for. I can keep up with mates on carbon roadies on hilly road jaunts, no doubt I'm working a bit harder for it, but I'm also generally rolling more comfortably. There's a lot of good info by fat tyre advocates like Jan Heine and the guys at Silca that show a lot of benefits of fat tyres, but it still pays to adjust tyre size to intended use, it's not simply a "bigger is better" thing.

Probably my only disappointment with fat tyres has been the durability, I'm struggling to get more than 3,500-4,000km out of a set of tyres!

Mica

Likes Dirt
Big fan of both (steel and fat road). Have had a few different iterations over the years and loved them all.

I can't speak for Kona but the steel I've ridden I've loved, low cost high mileage bikes and the extra weight has never been an issue or noticeable.

Fat really depends on what your definition is. Rode 28s for commuting a lot and they're fast and dependable and cope with the odd off road jaunt though are pretty sketchy but that's more down to tread pattern and also half the fun. Currently on 40s which I had lying around from a tandem experiment and are a touch big for my liking on road but certainly happier off road. Next ones will be somewhere is the middle though as per the last post long wearing tyres become harder to find the bigger you get. Gatorskins in a 28 were pretty hard to beat. As for the rim widths can't comment but never had an issue with narrow rims and wide tyres.

In short as an all round commute and random ride bike they are perfect. Cheap to own and run and cope with pretty much anything.

Do it, you won't regret it!

This one certainly puts a smile on my face and gets ridden a lot more than any of my other bikes

Last edited:

slo

Likes Dirt
thanks for your replies everyone! good to hear that everyone generally has good things to say about steel.
itll be a 100km a week commuter on some ok / sadish bike paths, but may want something that i can take on longer runs if needed.

went down to the LBS and they have a roadhouse and honky tonk in stock in my size.... some of the other models they didnt have access too.
its probably excessive to my needs, but i think a roadhouse may be ordered tomorrow!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Steel is real !!! What a coincidence, just spent 3 hours today sorting out my Indy-Fab, then took it for a ride up the local trails before it got dark.

I've quite a few carbon bikes, had alu, scandium, Ti, cheap/exp steel and cheap/exp carbon. To be honest, I cant feel much difference in ride quality with cheap carbon to expensive carbon or really cheap steel to exy steel (apart from the weight), But can say that steel feels the best material to build a bike out of, it sucks up all the small trail chatter and bumps without sending it up to rattle your teeth out. I had a cheapish Vassago Bandersnatch a few years back and it set my views on steel, a $400 frame that felt the best of any bike I had ever ridden.

And it looks awesome with the skinny frame pics, here's one from today after the mass of rain we had yesterday.

Attachments

Snockers

Likes Bikes
Great to hear slo, look forward to hearing how you enjoy a Roadhouse!

That steel build looks pretty neat Mica, and pretty light I'm guessing? Love that Independent too, something about skinwalls + steel just works...

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Saw that the new Kona Rove NRB is going to 650b road-plus tyres

Rove-NRB-DL-Sea-Otter_7088.jpg

and in steel (Rove LTD)

2018 Rove Ltd Sea Otter-4223.jpg

Looks so good!

Benny Storer

Likes Bikes
12038132_10153478345006311_54921066043145869_n.jpg

Owned a Kona Honky for a few years. Loved it. Rode it shod with 28s on EVERYTHING. Only one reason I flipped it, side pull brakes. Used to get arm pump on steep downhills and in rough terrain. Bought a disk braked roadie to replace it.