Kona stuff (2008) - turn into all mtn weapon??

jumpers

Likes Dirt
I have a kona stuff which i am thinking into trying to turn into a all mtn bike for 6 months until i can afford reign. Its has marzocci dj 2 on it. The angles feel good (i come from dh background) but the forks are bit unforgiving. Looking for advice,

1) any recommendations on alternative set of forks - 100 mm travel, maybe 120

2) anyone know how low the air in the marzocci dj 2 can go (i dropped bit air and they felt much better for trail / all mtn riding)

thanks any help appreciated

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't know that it will be a weapon, but it will be a fun bike. My brother has been riding one for years (older model of course) and loves it.

He's actually running a Marzocchi AM fork which further rakes out the angles and seems to do quite well. It's not a bike that seems to climb really well, but well enough.

Personally I'd stick with a 100mm fork. Something like a Pike or Talas where the travel can be adjusted would make for a reasonably versatile bike.

I'm pretty sure the DJ2 has a spring in there as well. Set it up for the correct sag and make sure you're not bottoming it all the time and you should be OK.

The tamping on the DJ2 is pretty crude unless you tune it, but it will do OK.

jumpers

Likes Dirt
I don't know that it will be a weapon, but it will be a fun bike. My brother has been riding one for years (older model of course) and loves it.

He's actually running a Marzocchi AM fork which further rakes out the angles and seems to do quite well. It's not a bike that seems to climb really well, but well enough.

Personally I'd stick with a 100mm fork. Something like a Pike or Talas where the travel can be adjusted would make for a reasonably versatile bike.

I'm pretty sure the DJ2 has a spring in there as well. Set it up for the correct sag and make sure you're not bottoming it all the time and you should be OK.

The tamping on the DJ2 is pretty crude unless you tune it, but it will do OK.
Thanks miko - yep i dont expect it to be a weapon, its just fun bike to ride. It doesnt climb that well but i ride anthem for pure xc so just looking use kona get to top !!!

shakes

Likes Dirt
My call is to leave it as it is and pick your lines a little more carefully and expect to get bounced off a few times.

Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket or find some forks uber cheap then that cash could mean a reign in 5 months instead of 6 and then they wont sit their gathering dust.