Kona Unit vs Redline Monocog Flight vs Avanti Kiss

Nath8

Likes Dirt
Looking at buying a steel rigid SS, that can be coverted to a 1x9 setup if required. (sometimes I like to ride a few hills, and it would be nice to know I can fit a few gears if I wish) The Kona and Redline have cable stops fitted standard, but the Avanti doesn't. They all can run a hanger though.
Anybody got any thoughts on these bikes, and any other brands I might also look at. Niner SIR9 is great, but the price for a frame only is the same as the others for a whole bike!!
Help would be appreciated.

aaron01

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Would go the redline if you can find one, the avanti can run a gear but you need to 1st find a hanger (have looked into this before), the unit is a nice bike but redline has had high praise for the monocog.

droctagon

Likes Dirt
The Monocog Flight gets a lot of good reviews, although they don't seem to import many into the country compared to the Kona Unit. (I'm not sure about the Avanti?).
Also, they seem to bring in more small to medium sized models as opposed to the XL versions (if that is relevant to you). So if your keen on getting your hands on one, it might pay to send an email through to bmxinternational.com.au (the Aussie Redline distributers) and see if they can organise a pre-order with your LBS for the new model.
As for the Kona, The new revised 2011 geometry looks good, and it comes standard with Avid BB7 cable discs as opposed to the Redline (BB5's) which is a small but significant sellling point. Both good options for SS steel 29ers.
Dont forget the Surly Karate Monkey-which also has a revised top tube for 2011 (about an inch slacker apparently) also a very capable and versatile steel steed.
Good luck in your search.

krisko

Likes Dirt
You may also want to consider the different chain tensioning styles of these bikes.
I have an Avanti Kiss and cant imagine anything but pure SS. I have a Giant Anthem 29 for geared duties.

Personally I like the eccentric bottom bracket for chain tensioning as it doesn't effect chainstay length which has an effect on overall geometry ie: climbing.

I think they are all great bikes, I like the clean looks of the KISS with no cable stops and its decently light at 10.8kg for an XL with suspension fork, different wheels, XT cranks and odds and ends.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
get 2 bikes (or 3)! I have a KISS 29 Avanti, bike is a fantastic single speed bike, lots of fun and great for commuting and training.

But it has its limits - if you want to climb up steep terrain you will then want to descend down as well. Kiss climbs very well - typical 29er grip, and you could fit a 33/20 or 22 rear sprocket (I run 18) and you would get up most climbs ... if you are fit and have the technical skills. But what about going down the hill? No suspension man, it's a pogo stick, so you have to back off, if you don't, tyres pinch flat or you go tubeless but need strong sidewall tyres - still you have limits in rough terrain, finally the heavy wheels and average brakes are reminders that these type of bikes have their limits.

I have thought about gears once or twice while riding but that would spoil the beauty of riding this simple beast. I would consider a shimano internal geared hub. However again the bike's beauty is its simplicity and rawness on the single track.

So don't base your decision on, what ifs, buy it for its intended use and get another bike (I have a XTC29 Giant) if you want a killer all rounder.

From what I can see bikes are pretty similar (except EBB on Avanti!), so check warranties, find a good LBS that will do you a deal, I got my mate a KISS 29 for a grand.

trickle

Likes Dirt
I have just last weekend test rode with a view to purchase a mates near new but couple of years old Raleigh XXIX which I believe is same same the KISS(?) first ride on a rigid SS 29er, well on actuall trails anyway.

Verdict: Awesome. I love the simpleness, the fit and the way the rigid fork makes you ride smoother. Well in theory.
This one came stock with BB5's which will go for BB7's or something hydro if I decide to buy the Raleigh. other then that, pretty happy with the XXIX.

Yes the KISS (Raleigh) will run gears but as others have said, you seriously cant go wrong with a (it pains me to say this) Giant XTC29 for when you want gears and keep the SS as just that.

My other bike is a 10.5kg Niner Air9, awesome bike and I love racing it but addition of the Raleigh into the stable will see the Niner reserved for racing and big climb rides only.

Nath8

Likes Dirt
get another bike (I have a XTC29 Giant) if you want a killer all rounder.
Already own one! I'm selling it because I want to go steel rigid SS, but still with the ability to run some gears if I wish, for something like the Otway for example. I like riding places like Lysty or Beaconsfield and the SS will be fine.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Already own one! I'm selling it because I want to go steel rigid SS, but still with the ability to run some gears if I wish, for something like the Otway for example. I like riding places like Lysty or Beaconsfield and the SS will be fine.
ok understand, some people would say riding a single speed is like joining the army, once in ... there's no getting out!

Nath8

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the replys everyone.
Went to BSC in Fitzroy yesterday, where they had the Kona and Redline, in stock in my size ready for a test ride. The staff were very helpful and I got got a ripper deal on the Unit. I'm pleased with they way it rode and can't wait to hit the trails.
The shop weighed it for me before leaving, 12.2kg as it sat on the showroom floor. Got it home, added a few personal touches and it's down to 11.5kg already. A new front carbon fork and new wheels, plus a couple more minor changes, and hopefully it will be down to around 10kg. We'll see.
I'll post some pics when it's complete.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Congratulation Nath8. You'll be very happy with the Unit. I'm happy with mine.

Did you get the 2010 (green) or the 2011 (white)?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes nice well done. Be good to see what you do to get the weight down. Sure new wheels will get weight under 11kg.

Nath8

Likes Dirt
yes nice well done. Be good to see what you do to get the weight down. Sure new wheels will get weight under 11kg.
Thanks guys, I like the look of the 2011 as well! The front fork change will get it under 11kg before I even touch the wheels.
I changed the rear tyre over and a couple of other tweaks, and the weight is now 11.35 kg's.
Took it out to Lysty this morning for the first time. Rides better than I was hoping. Most of the trails were no different than usual, with only the really rough, rutted out trails reminding me I'm riding a full rigid. I'm very pleased with it and will post pics when the fork and wheels are fitted and of course let you all know the final weight.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking forward to the pics of the upgrades. My Unit is staying around 11.5kg, and I'm happy with that.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi 29" Burners,

Facing the same dilema as I'm looking to get either the Kona Unit 2011 or Redline Monocog Flight, leaning towards the Unit if I can squeeze the penny jar a bit harder (it's just a damn good looking bike). Despite this I was hoping someone could help me with a few of the things, as I'm not technical guru and also my this is my first dabble in 29'erville.

• Is there much of a difference between the two brakes? (Unit has Avid FR5 / G2, Redline has Avid FR5 / BB5)
  • When going on about the Redline frame they use the term Sanko. What on earth is Sanko?
  • Both bars look about a mile long compared to my Anthems. Is this needed for control? Do people cut them down at all?
  • As a general statement, would it be fair to say that the Unit has a better spec than the Redline?

I know, newbie questions but all asked in earnest. I too went down to BSC and found them very helpful but was keen to know peeps experience and thoughts in the real world.

Cheers,

Coaster

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Hi 29" Burners,

Facing the same dilema as I'm looking to get either the Kona Unit 2011 or Redline Monocog Flight, leaning towards the Unit if I can squeeze the penny jar a bit harder (it's just a damn good looking bike). Despite this I was hoping someone could help me with a few of the things, as I'm not technical guru and also my this is my first dabble in 29'erville.

• Is there much of a difference between the two brakes? (Unit has Avid FR5 / G2, Redline has Avid FR5 / BB5)
  • When going on about the Redline frame they use the term Sanko. What on earth is Sanko?
  • Both bars look about a mile long compared to my Anthems. Is this needed for control? Do people cut them down at all?
  • As a general statement, would it be fair to say that the Unit has a better spec than the Redline?

I know, newbie questions but all asked in earnest. I too went down to BSC and found them very helpful but was keen to know peeps experience and thoughts in the real world.

Cheers,

Coaster
Sanko is a tubing manufacturer. Name sounds Japanese but may be taiwanese. The Unit has the better Avid BB7 brake. The Unit also has an outboard bearing crankset, stiffer and ...better?

- Joel