Kona without DOPE

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My missus is screwing up my life at the moment, limiting any bike purchases to none, and also getting me to sell off one of my bikes, which sucks big fat wang!
I have found a loophole in the deal and she admits im free to do this. the loop hole is is trade the bike im selling for a new one. the bike i currently am looking at doing a deal on is a 06 stab, which doesnt have the DOPE system.
Is it cost effective/possible to retrofit the DOPE gear onto it?
is it worth riding a kona without dope, how bad is the brake jack?
I have never ridden one but heard opinions rangeing from didnt notice it to it made the bike near unrideable

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I'm riding an '08 stinky without dope, and sure it helps, but it's certainly not unrideable. I was riding a mates '08 Stab today, with the dope, and honestly I cant tell the difference it makes. A lot of people I was talking to today were saying it's really just one of things that will make the bike that tiny bit better, but for the price there are other components I'd be looking at.

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
The DOPE system will cost you around $400 from your local Kona dealer.
I've used it on my Coiler and it it makes some difference but it's not a must have item. Quite a few brands of bike have brake jack, and a floating brake helps out especially when you brake at the wrong time, like in the middle of a rocky section when you should have braked before it etc. A good rider can cope with brake jack because they will factor in when and where to brake.
My advice is if you like the bike - buy it. You can always add the floating brake later if you feel you need it.

marshro

Likes Bikes
Hey guys i just purchased my new bike. Its a 2010 Kona Stab deluxe with 2010 Boxxer World cups saint breaks saint cranks and saint rear derailleur and a few other parts its pretty much a supreme. but anyway iv always seen the D.O.P.E and never really known what it does. Can some one explain it to me tanks!

Jimass

Eats Squid
It is when braking forces cause the suspension to compress hard.

The dope system helps eliminate this.

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
Where the suspension stiffens/becomes less active when you brake, thereby reducing the handling of the bike and the traction capabilities.
Can also be applied to the fork, where the suspension packs up (although this is called fork dive) but is more or less the same thing but in the front.

-<KURT>-

Likes Dirt
Well from my understanding its when the rear suspension becomes stiff while under braking. It usually happens to single pivot bikes, norco's tend to do it too.

Jimass

Eats Squid
Where the suspension stiffens/becomes less active when you brake, thereby reducing the handling of the bike and the traction capabilities.
Can also be applied to the fork, where the suspension packs up (although this is called fork dive) but is more or less the same thing but in the front.
Perfect answer.

marshro

Likes Bikes
Ok so my Kona will be better if i happen to brake in some rocks? Also will my TI spring reduce break jack even more ?

floody

Wheel size expert
DOPE is a pretty key system on Konas which jack up like mad under brakes and, below the high end models, tend to have excessively dive prone marzocchi forks, together making every braking zone just a bit like the set of Red October.

LUCIEN6PACK

Likes Dirt
Brake therapy link

Hey guys i just purchased my new bike. Its a 2010 Kona Stab deluxe with 2010 Boxxer World cups saint breaks saint cranks and saint rear derailleur and a few other parts its pretty much a supreme. but anyway iv always seen the D.O.P.E and never really known what it does. Can some one explain it to me tanks!
Here is the best way to explain it.

http://2btherapy.com/index.php/bikes/brake-therapy-floating-brake-kit

and Marshro, can you post some pics of your Stab, would like to see it....

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
http://www.rdrop.com/~/twest/mtb/pathAnalysis/index.html#Chapter5
have a read of this and then make up your own mind, i must warn you it can get a bit heavy reading. Animations are one thing but how come i have never seen a real life video demonstrating brake induced lockout. You would think the companys that market these gizmo`s and linkage systems that are supposed to " isolate braking force`s " would have the resources to make such a video? :rolleyes:

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bike to be traded will be the flow moe, i know its gay that i cant keep it but the missus is breaking my balls, and its the only way im going to get on another DS bike in the next 6 months.
Theres a long back story but essentially.
I sold my old DS bike to build a new DS bike but when i put the money into our account it had become "our" money not "bike" money. so now im locked out of my bike money.

Im happy with the bike so far enough that my only concern is the potential brake issues,
Im personally one of the "just ride the flipping bike, doesnt need to be perfect" but that said there no point in making it unnessicarily difficult.

I was looking at that brake therapy site yeasterday apparently they were contracted to build teh DOPE system and they also sell a floating conversion for abit less than my Kona dealer will.
other thing that sucks is i have hopes that i will not be able to use on this bike due to it only working with post mounts..

OK heres the question then.
would you rather the Stab with the spec below, or no DS bike for 6 months
Frame:kona stab 06
Forks:Manitou Travis 203mm 06
Wheels: mag 30 on ringle hubs/front and back.
Shock: Fox vanilla RC
Brakes: Hayes 9
Derailer: sram x7
Chain guide: Truvativ box guide.
Seat: sunline v1
Cranks: Hussfelt
Bars/Stem: Gravity Light 800mm/Travis direct mount
Headset: Chris King
BB: FSA Platinum

jacob123

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok so my Kona will be better if i happen to brake in some rocks? Also will my TI spring reduce break jack even more ?
a titantium spring would have no effect to the braking/ brake jack. the difference between steel and titanium springs is obviously the weight, they go through travel smoother, and ramp up better towards the end stroke.

i still cant believe you bought a new downhill bike after owning the one i sold to you for less than three weeks honustly rory you dont need this kona and it seems like you have to much money.