Kona without DOPE

marshro

Likes Bikes
i got A GOOD price on the bike like the ti spring was $150 not $300 and i swapped the boxxer race for WC and only payed 1/2 for the WC. and yes the Atomik is great i sill like it. (also were are you staying for yak? ) (also may sell my NS to help pay but i will see)

Last edited:

Duff_Man

Likes Dirt
A 2006 kona stab should come with a floating arm, it is not the now branded DOPE system but it is essentially the same thing. If it does not have a floating arm then it is pre 2006. Floating arms were introduced on Kona's in 2005, on the stinky supreme and the top model stab. Brake jack on a kona is marginal compared to that of a single pivot bike. The position of the rear pivot being on the seat stay rather than the chain stay makes it unlike your traditional 4 bar link found on a specialized. Due to the position on the pivot brake jack occurs.

floody

Wheel size expert
Konas are single pivot bikes, just with a rocker actuated shock.

Marginal brake jack? Stinkys and Stabs without the floater are some of the worst I've ridden.

Brake jack isn't dictated by the seatstay pivot, its dictated by the braking force being applied directly to the main swingarm.

Duff_Man

Likes Dirt
The suspension linkage in a kona is considered to be a single pivot, due to the placement of the rear pivot at the junction of the seat stay and chain stay. Specialized have several bikes that have a very similar linkage design to that of the kona, yet this pivot is different, thus making them a 4-bar link.

Taken from 'S' post:

The end result: what does it mean?
Most bikes squat to some degree. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as mentioned above. This includes most FSR bikes, despite Specialized’s “fully active in all circumstances” claim (with the understanding that "fully active" means "shock absorption completely unaffected by braking"). Some bikes do actually “jack” but these are few and far between, and it’s not always bad enough to even be noticeable, let alone a problem. There is a definite placebo effect surrounding brake systems, and it is not unlikely that this is due mainly to lack of education/understanding on the subject. Some people will swear black and blue that singlepivots are nearly unrideable due to perceived “brake jack”, others will simply state that they’ve never even noticed it. From this we can make a logical conclusion: BISI does exist, and that it is not necessarily a problem – in fact in some forms and to some degrees it can even be useful. However it is hard to believe that any common amount of brake squat can make a bike unrideable, or anything to that end. Notably, the bike on which Fabien Barel won the 2004 world DH championships on had a brake linkage designed specifically to increase the level of (pro-)squat far beyond what normal bikes generate. Riding the production version of this bike, you can feel a huge tendency for the rear end to dive when the rear brake is applied. Given that no owners of those bikes seem to have any problem with the extreme brake setup, one might logically assume that it’s not actually that bad, and that other bikes with considerably less brake induced squat can hardly be any worse off, and thus are perfectly fine to ride – although not necessarily as comfortable as they could be.

The moral of the story is that almost any pro-squatting braking setup is usable. That is not to say that there is no reason to dislike certain degrees of brake interaction – that varies with riding style, terrain and personal preferences. Another important point to note is that true “neutrality” under any acceleration (positive [pedalling] or negative [braking]) is not necessarily an optimum setup – certain reaction forces under braking/pedalling can help stabilise the bike as well as offer greater comfort and traction. It is also useful to know that it’s not hard to make stuff perform worse, so be wary of playing with your bike’s braking characteristics unless you know what you’re doing – that incorporates more than is written in this article.