Kowen / Majura / Yale Glum ??? Whats rideable

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

Im heading down for some ACT goodness this weekend but wondering whats open and rideable.
I have not ridden Kowen or Majura so was keen to check them out...

I just range the nat parks to get the gate combo for Kowen and she said there is military exercises going on in there so not the best option. Sparrow is being harvested, so thats not good.
She mentioned Yale Gum or Yale Glum... about 150mtrs further on past Sparrows entrance on left... Not heard of this but sounds like where the Cap Punishment started ??? Any info ?

Hows Majura looking?

Should I just say screw it and head to Stromlo?

Cheers WCP

scbullit

Likes Dirt
Sounds like Orchard Rd / East Kowen, which is where the Mont was held. Great tracks - do it for sure!

krisko

Likes Dirt
Yep they refer to the area differently, she was talking about Orchard Rd.
Ride it then ride the trails across the road at Sparrow's their is still a nice loop out that way!

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info guys.. i know Sparrow well enough.. are the trails easy enough to follow over at Orchard Rd ? (assuming so if they ran the 24hr there)

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Sparrow will not be as you remember it - apparently the loop there is only about 6k now (still good though). But while you're out there to do E. Kowen (aka Orchard Rd) you may as well pop over. East Kowen is definitely the star attraction out there though.

Majura is definitely still all G.O. and worth a loop or 4.

Stromlo's in generally good nick these days too but it sounds like you've been there, done that.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just range the nat parks to get the gate combo for Kowen and she said there is military exercises going on in there so not the best option.
I reckon she got confused about Kowen, there is a Military training area one one side of Sutton Road (the right side as you face Queanbeyan) but the left hand side where we ride never has any Military action.
That's the Kowen club course, it's a little tricky to find the trails but I rode 'em about a month ago and they are pretty fun still.

I might be riding those trails @ 0800 Sunday if you want to come with - slow to moderate pace XC. There's a few of us getting over colds

They do head into Kowen every once in while but I have only seen them driving around the forest near the old homestead site where the 24hr was held before moving to stromlo. Noisy and easy to dodge.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Apparently there were military dudes military-ing it up at the East Kowen (Orchard Rd) area a few days ago. My mate wasn't told to get out or anything, and it's probably all over by now?