Kryptonite crap !!

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i think that the company should be comended, not abused.
They produced a product which was superior to others in the market at the time. They were not to know that a pen casing could open up the locks but now that they do and there is public concern they are offering upgrades which I am assuming are at a greatly discounted price or maybe even free?
How many other companies that produce locks with the same locking mechanism are going to offer replacements? Kryptonite has been singled out for some reason and, in my view, they are innocent of any wrong-doing.

S.

ex offender
Simo said:
They produced a product which was superior to others in the market at the time. They were not to know that a pen casing could open up the locks but now that they do and there is public concern they are offering upgrades which I am assuming are at a greatly discounted price or maybe even free?
How many other companies that produce locks with the same locking mechanism are going to offer replacements? Kryptonite has been singled out for some reason and, in my view, they are innocent of any wrong-doing.
They've known about the problem for twelve years... not only that, it really shows a flaw in the system when you can simply insert a circular, slightly deformable tube in there (a pen happens to be the right size) and unlock it.

tu plang

knob
S. said:
Simo said:
They've known about the problem for twelve years... not only that, it really shows a flaw in the system when you can simply insert a circular, slightly deformable tube in there (a pen happens to be the right size) and unlock it.
thats kinda what i was thinking S.
if a pen could open the stupid thing, how different were all the actual keys that they were making? and how could they have been unique to a lock if it doesnt really take a unique object to open it :?

S.

ex offender
tu plang said:
S. said:
Simo said:
thats kinda what i was thinking S.
if a pen could open the stupid thing, how different were all the actual keys that they were making? and how could they have been unique to a lock if it doesnt really take a unique object to open it :?
I think the pen works cos it's deformable and is circular rather than a specific shape. I'm pretty sure none of the Kryptonite-made keys would be cross-compatible because they're specifically designed to jam if they're put into the wrong lock, whereas the pen relies on friction and deformation rather than precision.

Just one of those freak things that happens I suppose, I just don't know why they ignored it for so long.

Rik

logged out
Well the fact that the internet has spread the word, Asssociated Press are on to the story, and New York Times plan on posting the video online is enough reason for them to get off their ass and do something about it ;) It's too easy for a company to ignore the problem, hoping noone would find out. Poor form, really.

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yes, the problem has been known to a minority for a long time but now it's public at least they are acting. How many of us actually knew that this could be done before all this recent publicity?
How many other companies that are using similar locks are going to offer replacement units and why has kryptonite been singled out?

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i think krypto are being singled out because for years people have believed "i've got a kryptonite lock, i don't have to think any more"
how often have you seen some expensive bike locked in an out of the way place in town, or taken to the uni and locked round the corner of the building or in the bottom of an office block garage?
people had a general attitude that if it was solidly locked it was safe wherever.
most of us know better because we hang out in a community that passes news of thefts pretty qiuckly, but for the average rider......
so now people actualy have to think about WHERE they lock their rig up.
well lit, high traffic, preferably with security cameras and guards. things like that.

parallax

Likes Dirt
Well it's a good idea to spread the word huh? Now any oportunist with a pen will be knicking off with your $3K bike.

Lucky for me, mine's too heavy for them to lift. :lol:

spuddy

Likes Dirt
I've got a Kryptonite (i think) armoured cable lock that cost me near on $100, so im guessing its 'up there' in the range. It doesnt use a cylinder barrel key though... do Kryptonite use the barrel key on their locks, other than the U's and the funky yellow 'New York' one? I never did like U locks for varions reasons, and its good to see that not all their locks appear to be vunerable to this exploit.

spuddy

Likes Dirt
Well, it appears only the locks using barrel keys are affected, and its not just Kryptonite, other products such as the Kensington laptop lock are also affected (although Kensington might be owned by Kryptonite for all i know).

U locks were never a good idea imho, what with all the available leverage against them and all. I'd go a square-link chain lock for about $280AU (although not that EV disc lock, being vunerable to above exploit), or an armoured cable if being able to carry it around is your thing :D I use something akin to this for work, and it holds up all day, every day (so far :D ).

wombat

Lives in a hole
Simo said:
yes, the problem has been known to a minority for a long time but now it's public at least they are acting. How many of us actually knew that this could be done before all this recent publicity?
It doesn't matter how many of us knew, what matters is whether Kryptonite knew. If they knew, then it's their responsibility to take action, regardless of how aware the public was.
If there was a problem with say the brake caliper on a certain car, and the company was aware of it, they'd release a statement and recall all the cars immediately; they wouldn't keep building and selling the things until the brakes started failing en masse.
The story was published too, so I really don't believe that Kryptonite were ignorant of the fact.

apsilon

Likes Dirt
Kryptonite are offering free upgrades for all effected customers who purchased in the last 2 years (personally I think they should go back further).

I doubt we'll ever know, but I'd be interested to hear what sort of payout amount they have to make due to this issue via their "Anti Teft Protection" scheme in North America and the UK. There's bound to be a few thefts over the next few weeks with this issue being so widely spread on the internet and some main stream media.

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kryptonite knew, fixed it 10 years ago and then 2-3 years ago moved producton to Taiwan and started using the crap barrel locks again.

Abus or Trelock are the only things worth spending money on really.