L or XL Trail or AM bike found

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Item: Pretty open to what's out there, but ideally looking at light weight/responsive trail bikes with slightly slacker angles. Banshee spitfire is the big one, but I've been looking at Trance's (particularly carbon models) with anglesets/off set bushings, etc, etc. Basically if you have an L or XL 5-6'' travel bike you want to get rid of PM me and I'll look into it. I'm also looking at using a donor bike to transfer parts onto a different frame. 26'' prefered, maybe 650b (already got one of those though).. if you can show me someone doing a 360 on a 29er I'll think about one..
Price range/Willing to Pay: $4k for a dialed bike, but really I'm hunting around the $2k mark. Currently my car is up for sale, so there's no cash until that disappears (anyone want to buy a low kms, mint 1999 Mitsubishi challenger?)
Extra Info: nope

Last edited:

JBR

Likes Dirt
Take a look at the new banshee spitfire. It looks like a ripper and options for both 26 and 650b. If my 5.7 wasn't so awesome I would be getting one. I think you can get the frames new for 2k. Then build your own from there.

The guy importing them is here on RB. Search for banshee and his name should pop up, or PM me for details.

Justin

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've gotten a great quote on a Spitfire frame from the distro already, and that is at the top of my list if I decide to build a new custom bike. I'm just covering my bases and having a look at a few other things that might work (like trances with modified geometry, which seem pretty badass).

The only thing about the spitfire is the XL runs a 640mm top tube, which is pushing it for length for me.. but if I go to a L frame (which has a more comfy TT length), then it has a very short head and seat tube for my stilt like legs. I don't think i'd every really get comfy on one.

JBR

Likes Dirt
youre Lanky like me - Dont be afraid of a big bike. They are designed that way for a reason, and honestly you will ride better on a proper fitting bike - plus for for a trail bike you really want full seat extension to be able to ride it properly.

I used to feel the same about bikes being too big, but I have found through experience that its not the case - better to have a bike that fits properly.

Ive put a deposit down on an XL rune to complement my 5.7. I probably dont need it but I like shiny new things - and the rune looks to be everything I used to want my Nomad to be.

Justin

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
youre Lanky like me - Dont be afraid of a big bike. They are designed that way for a reason, and honestly you will ride better on a proper fitting bike - plus for for a trail bike you really want full seat extension to be able to ride it properly.

I used to feel the same about bikes being too big, but I have found through experience that its not the case - better to have a bike that fits properly.

Ive put a deposit down on an XL rune to complement my 5.7. I probably dont need it but I like shiny new things - and the rune looks to be everything I used to want my Nomad to be.

Justin
It's not that I'm afraid of a big bike (I have two xxl road bikes). But I have a torso length of a 9 year old girl so super long tt's don't really work for me. But then I struggle with leg extension.. As you mentioned.

The Rune should be great in conjunction with the 5.7.

That 5.7 linked above is EXACTLY how I would spec my own bike.. But I've never really liked DW link bikes. Too efficient.

Thanks for all the links guys. And bump.