Lake Mountain Trail Modifications - OR - 'How to ruin an awesome trail'

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I rode at Lake Mountain on 31 December 2014. There have been some changes made to the blue track – the guy was actually on the excavator modifying a separate trail while we rode past on our second lap, so it appears the modifications are on-going.

Both my riding buddy and I were dismayed at what they’ve done. I’ve messaged the Lake Mountain facebook page to find out who to raise my concerns with (no reply yet), but in the meantime I thought I’d share what’s happening.

The section of the blue trail that has been changed is the longish downhill part at the end of the first half of the loop, it kinda comes out at the road. (the last part of this section http://www.strava.com/segments/7081648) It was previously singletrack, with lots of natural rock outcrops alongside the trail causing the trail to be narrow and technical. There were some tight corners, but the trail flowed very well and drainage was good. Skilled riders could ride this section at high speed, lower skilled riders could still ride this section well but at lower speed. I thought it was quite hard for a blue trail. (Maybe this was the problem?)

After Modifications
A digger has been driven down it, and the trail has been flattened and widened to at least a meter wide in all places, mostly 1.5m – it is entirely artificial. Large (huge) berms have been built around many corners (though not necessarily in the right places). All rocks have been removed. There are no jumps. The trail is now fast for all users. Little skill is required.

So what’s the problem
All of the natural features have been removed, and in its place we have a homogenous flat pavement. Sure it’s fast, but the old trail was fast too. Maybe not the first time you rode it, but with practice it could be ridden very fast by a skilled rider.
The old trail was unique – there wasn’t another trail exactly the same anywhere. The modified trail is practically a carbon copy of every other ‘flow’ trail in the world.
Sure, first-time riders can ride it, but the climb to get to the start of the ‘flow’ part is still really quite technical. If you could make it up the technical climb, I think you’d have no problem going down the (previously) technical track too.
If they’ve modified this trail for beginners, then sure, the beginners will thank them at first, but as soon as they’ve progressed past beginner status, they’ll have nowhere to progress too – you’ve just removed the best technical trail in the area.
You already have beginner trails here – loads of them. If you wanted a beginner trail to link up the top of the hill to the road (where this trail currently goes), why didn’t you put in a separate trail? Why did you have to change a perfectly good trail?
And finally - there is a ‘flow’ trail just down the road, it’s called Buxton!! Anyone who wants to ride fast berms and jumps can and does go there instead. At least Buxton has loads of jumps.

So besides whinging, what can I do about it? Does anyone have the IMBA handbook, and does it offer any guidance when modifying existing trails? Are there any guidelines to follow? If not, I will suggest (politely) to Lake Mountain Management that they should follow some, maybe something like these: (or do better guidelines already exist??)

(Suggested) Guidelines for modifying existing mtb trails
-The overall character of the trail should be maintained
-Does the trail incorporate any natural features? If so, these should be retained.
-Trails should not be widened unless it is unsafe not to.
-Only material found on site, or in the local area, should be used
-Consider the riders who use the current trail – are you intending these to change? Changing the difficulty level of the trail may make this trail unrideable (too hard or too easy) for the current trail users.
-Only use an excavator as a last resort.

I'm starting to think Team Robot summed it up perfectly:
http://theteamrobot.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/imba-was-here.html
imbawashere.jpg

I’ll add the photos Grant took when he sends them to me.

Also, please note that the new trail is still bedding in, so take it easy on the berms.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I rode Lake Mountain a couple of days before you and was also dismayed at the changes. Are you sure it's finished? My feeling was that it was a 'work in progress' as it was freshly excavated and not even smoothed down or shaped in any way. Perhaps 'features' are yet to be built into the trail? Like yourself, I thought the track was great the way it was, I can't understand why anyone would need to spend time and money doing anything to it. Why not put that effort into building new trails up there to extend the amount of vertical?

Just before where the work had been done, I could see another trail joining onto the old one, does anyone know where that goes?

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I'd be surprised if they were gong to drive the excavator down it a second time. It seemed to me that it just needed bedding in a bit.

The guy was modifying that new trail as we left, it looks like it's just a shortcut, from a short way up the first climb, down to the road, across the road and then joins the blue trail as it's coming back up the hill near the end of the loop. He was modifying an existing ski trail I think, it was already a car width wide and dead flat and didn't look to be part of an existing mtb trail, so I wasn't too concerned. I am worried that he'll drive it back up the blue trail from the bottom, that would be a disaster because the downhill part from the road crossing onwards is superb.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Hello Peter, at this time of year (summer), Lake Mtn operates on a sort of skeleton staff. The guy on the mini excavator is probably the same guy in charge of social media (FB). I passed on your concerns and was advised if you'd like to email directly, a better dialogue/understanding/explanation will be possible. Tell admin that Andrew I. Sent you >
admin@lakemountainresort.com.au

petertronica

Likes Dirt
Thanks - I'll drop them an email and report back on how it progresses.

Hello Peter, at this time of year (summer), Lake Mtn operates on a sort of skeleton staff. The guy on the mini excavator is probably the same guy in charge of social media (FB). I passed on your concerns and was advised if you'd like to email directly, a better dialogue/understanding/explanation will be possible. Tell admin that Andrew I. Sent you >
admin@lakemountainresort.com.au

gregp

Likes Dirt
Man, reading this has ruined my day, I nearly punched my computer. It sounds like they have bulldozed the best part of the trail. If the muppets responsible for this disaster are reading this, be advised that I PROTEST! Get off the mountain NOW!

The other "joining trail" you saw was probably #8 "Bypass". It's a black diamond trail that bypasses the summit, and just snakes aimlessly on the road side of the mountain before it rejoins the blue track #7 "Granite Grind". It joins it where the best part of #7 starts (although I used to enjoy #7 from start to end as it was). I found #8 a bit tedious and boring, if they tinkered with that one I would not care. Actually all they had to do was just sweep the large chunks of the loose spoke bending and derailleur destroying foliage on #8 and it could easily be enjoyed in the current form by fit riders on 29ers.

#7 has been there for a few years now, it was obvious it was receiving very little maintenance attention and yet it kept its form and was always super fun to ride. As you said it was unique, the sort of trail you discover a bit more every time you ride it. Of course as riders we want more investment and development in the area, but starting by bulldozing the best of existing bits is just idiotic.

I suspect they are grooming those sections for the annual "Granite Grind" event (in Feb I think?). While riding this trail I always used to think that racing on it in a large group would be really frustrating. But for the same reason it was so awesome when ridden alone...

I was there twice in early December and on both occasions the resort was holding some music festival and was closed to the public. The place was crawling with hippies who turned every lookout into a public toilet and used the first part of #7 as a dumping ground for empty beer bottles. Both times there was a bunch of clowns set up at the carpark entrance telling random tourists like me to get off the mountain. But I was able to ignore them, find a spot, get on my bike and once on the trail leave the noise and smell behind fairly quickly.

But I'd rather be dealing with hippies on every visit than lose some of the most superb trail in the area to some generic paved flow bullshit! It's called "Granite Grind", so FFS stop removing the granite!!!

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Sounds like you are happy for LM to do work that doesn't affect you (the bits you don't like) but they can't touch what you like? Let LM have response and or contact them directly instead of 'protesting' here where they don't have a reply.

petertronica

Likes Dirt
No it wasn't bypass, we rode that trail as it's more interesting than the blue. (I confess I've never actually ridden the blue to the top, I always take bypass because the blue just looked, well, straight, flat and boring.)

The trail we're talking about splits off to the right about 50 metres up the blue trail, and just goes straight down the hill. Looking at the map, maybe this is called 'Lenny's Loop'?

The other "joining trail" you saw was probably #8 "Bypass". ....

gregp

Likes Dirt
No it wasn't bypass, we rode that trail as it's more interesting than the blue. (I confess I've never actually ridden the blue to the top, I always take bypass because the blue just looked, well, straight, flat and boring.)

The trail we're talking about splits off to the right about 50 metres up the blue trail, and just goes straight down the hill. Looking at the map, maybe this is called 'Lenny's Loop'?
I like riding on rocks. The top has more granite...

sukebe

Likes Dirt
Very unhappy to read this thread. I know exactly the part you are referring to, it was the best bit of trail on the granite grind loop! One of those well established trails with great natural flow mixed seamlessly with loads of small, but challenging when ridden fast, natural features. My ONLY feedback on that trail would be to trim some of the grasses that overgrown the trail as they can hide 'crank clippers'. Other than that, it was one of my favorite XC loops in Vic. Reaaaaally disappointed it is being dumbed down.

I understand that the sport has increased in popularity recently which means a lot more 'punters' using the trails. However, that should result in new easier trails and appropriate signage on more challenging trails - not the destruction of an awesome trail that has taken years of use to develop its flow and lie in the land.

vergard

Squid
While I agree with most of the sentiments expressed here, nobody loves a techy, organic trail more than me, we have to look at it from a Lake Mountain management position. They are trying to be financially viable which means attracting as many people as possible, consequently the trails have to be accessible to a variety of skill levels. The rocky nature of Lake Mountain means that hand work is way too expensive, ergo machinery needs to be used but hopefully with time the vegetation will creep back and a few riders will create a flowing, interesting line, we have to be patient and have some confidence in the crew at Lake Mountain, they want good riding too.
I have nothing to do with Lake Mountain but do help put on the Granite Grind and the feedback we get is mostly how hard it is, compared to the Buxton Bootcamp, which everybody loves.
The market has spoken and the market wants a BMX track in the bush, fortunately Lake Mountain will never be that.

petertronica

Likes Dirt
Look, I hear what you’re saying, but I think you’re mistaken, they are having a pretty good go at making it into a giant bmx track in the bush. I’ll post up the pics I took on Grant's camera when he sends them to me (hint hint Grant).

My mate Steve rode the Granite Grind and he thought it was great, he must not have provided his feedback loudly enough :)

The Enduro market may want giant bmx tracks, but who says they are the majority?

- Isn’t it more realistic to accept that, for some riders, the blue trail is never going to be a good trail for an endurance race, it’s just too rocky and bumpy. (I can't imagine what 3 laps on a hard tail would do to my back.)
- There are already ‘beginner’ trails up there, why not race on those if the blue trail is too hard?
- Do we know how many people visit the Granite Grind and provide feedback that it’s too hard, versus how many people visit outside the race (or for the race) and think the track’s great as it is?
- Surely this is the perfect venue for Gravity Enduro racing (especially once the trail extensions are completed?) I’m fairly sure this will be the dominant form of racing in a few years time. If the management want more riders at their events, target these events. (read this interview, in the UK last year there were 35 Gravity Enduro races.)

I’m not trying to stir you up, I’m just saying that surely there’s a way we can keep everyone happy by having trails of all levels, rather than turning every single trail into a beginner trail to suit a perceived majority?

While I agree with most of the sentiments expressed here, nobody loves a techy, organic trail more than me, we have to look at it from a Lake Mountain management position. They are trying to be financially viable which means attracting as many people as possible, consequently the trails have to be accessible to a variety of skill levels. The rocky nature of Lake Mountain means that hand work is way too expensive, ergo machinery needs to be used but hopefully with time the vegetation will creep back and a few riders will create a flowing, interesting line, we have to be patient and have some confidence in the crew at Lake Mountain, they want good riding too.
I have nothing to do with Lake Mountain but do help put on the Granite Grind and the feedback we get is mostly how hard it is, compared to the Buxton Bootcamp, which everybody loves.
The market has spoken and the market wants a BMX track in the bush, fortunately Lake Mountain will never be that.

Drjft

Squid
Was just looking at Granite Grind (the race). Is it more suited to HTs, or could you do it on an Enduro-esque bike?

Big JD

Wheel size expert
le natural

well said Peter- I for one believe the cookie cutter approach to trails building or design is not required everywhere. It seems- and correct me if Im wrong- but if you want recognition or funding for MTB trails- they must all now follow particular guidelines. So much of the new trails or development of existing stuff is sanitising the essence of mountain biking. If you want to appeal to beginers- then build tracks for them- dont dumb down XC trails to suit. Like wise if you want to build an enduro style trail with flow and berms- its a big mountain - go and build it somewhere else.

The trail was not technical- it was hard for beginers or the unfit.

Lake mountains trails had a wonderful appeal because of the natural trails- what a shame to loose that- it is the same for Buxton IMO.

Also I dont think anyone is having a go or sh!t stirring- just concerned which is great.

Last edited:

Beej1

I am super considering coming out. Would be good to give it a shot, and I have family in the area, so might as well kill two birds...
I don't know if you could have written that better in order to be two vastly different statements using the same words.

FWIW I hope it goes well, and that your family are understanding folk. Good luck.

Drjft

Squid
I don't know if you could have written that better in order to be two vastly different statements using the same words.

FWIW I hope it goes well, and that your family are understanding folk. Good luck.
Hahah. I just reread it and yeah, it doesn't appear I am talking about mountain biking...

Cheers.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
For me there are certain tracks that deserve/d respect and LM Granite Grind was one of them. I missed 2014 due to illness but raced it 2012 and 2013 and I loved the track. You had to be awake and alert, you snooze you lose, you commit and were rewarded, it was physically taxing, I loved it and was completely exhausted after each race. I loved that it was hard, the drive up you would think wow, better get my practice lap in, and then set my lines for the race.

Re the query on hard tails earlier, I did it in 2012 on a dually and was knackered, I did it in 2013 on a carbon 29r HT and went heaps faster and was in cracker form, however I needed help to get off my bike at the end, if I tried to throw my leg over to dismount I would have fallen, the boys thought I was kidding,.....and I loved that the track did that to me, I smacked the track but I knew I had earnt it and the track made me earn it.

It was as good as I think grass roots racing could have been, old school good and worth the drive up.

Now........?