Lake Mountain Trail Modifications - OR - 'How to ruin an awesome trail'

vergard

Squid
Pretty happy that Lake Mountain is getting all this attention, community involvement, stakeholder feedback etc etc all the stuff that management wants to see, I am sure the mountain will be better off.
Another tangible way is to come and do our race on the 21st of Feb and the ride/demo day on the 22nd, go here
https://sites.google.com/site/murrindindicycleclub/granite-grind-2015 or https://www.facebook.com/MurrindindiCycleClub or even here http://lakemountainresort.com.au/events/2015-granite-grind-weekend#.VK4B2iuUeHs for details.
It is a great weekend of events and the xc race is a real challenge, bike handling skills, both up and down are rewarded.

Just to let you know, the Murrindindi Cycling club took over the running of the race when Lake Mountain management dropped it a few years back, we use it as a fund raiser for the club and as a tool to promote LM trails.

apple

Squid
LM2M trail

Maybe we could start a petition to get the extension built down to the ticket box? And built in a style/manner that keeps everyone happy? I.e. is a bit tricky but has nice easy b-lines for the beginners?
I have just got approved a project plan to build this section; considered & realistic input is welcome. We start next week (after 2 years of negotiation)

petertronica

Likes Dirt
Great news Andrew.

I presume that the more people that make a certain request, the more weight that request would carry? So possibly the best cause of action for us would be to, well, get as many people as possible to endorse our request, so a petition then (or similar).

Can you confirm:
Will the new trail be one way, or a return loop? If it's one way, do you envisage riders will ride back up the road?
Are there any restrictions we should be aware of up front (just to set some reasonable expectations, and stop us requesting stuff thats never going to happen, eg. are jumps out of the question)

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Peter May I suggest that you put a draft letter together. We could put that into an online petition that Andrew can access to highlight our desires to the board

We don't want to simply state what we want but also indicate would we can give (do to assist).
Individuals can also write a letter.
I personally will try and write something today and pledge at least one day of maintenance and would be happy to donate to a trail fund. I would not expect everyone would be able to do the same.
Andrew would you please provide an email address we could use to raise awareness and support

apple

Squid
Great news Andrew.

I presume that the more people that make a certain request, the more weight that request would carry? So possibly the best cause of action for us would be to, well, get as many people as possible to endorse our request, so a petition then (or similar).

Can you confirm:
Will the new trail be one way, or a return loop? If it's one way, do you envisage riders will ride back up the road?
Are there any restrictions we should be aware of up front (just to set some reasonable expectations, and stop us requesting stuff thats never going to happen, eg. are jumps out of the question)
It is one way, part of the eventual LM2M descent. Riding up the road or shuttles are the eventual plan. As it follows the strategic fire break on DEPI land we have approval with some constraints, A & B lines are possible/desirable provided they are 'natural' and realistic. Blue standard is the difficulty rating desired, it must be achievable to a wide range of riders but it is a mountain with significant climbing and a lot of vertical descent to play with. A jump to one rider is a rollover to another. You may want to checkout the section before this; from Snowy hill to Arnolds Gap (4km), it is 95% finished and ridable. It has a steady climb then a bit of a bumpy cruise on top before a big descent with some big berms and rock features. Needs riding in and will be open for business on the Sunday of the Granite Grind demo weekend with shuttles (Arnolds Adventure).

apple

Squid
Peter May I suggest that you put a draft letter together. We could put that into an online petition that Andrew can access to highlight our desires to the board

We don't want to simply state what we want but also indicate would we can give (do to assist).
I personally will try and write something today and pledge at least one day of maintenance and would be happy to donate to a trail fund. I would not expect everyone would be able to do the same.
Andrew would you please provide an email address we could use to raise awareness and support
Great that you are initiating this, we did have some volunteer assistance in 2011 with the Fat Tyre fairies for some rock gardens on the No 7 (ruins run) and they are bullet proof today(the rock gardens that is). We don't expect an army of help but just a few coordinated mates can take on a feature and take ownership of it and do great work, more importantly I can prove to DEPI that the bike community is engaged, supportive and integrated into this project. My email is andrew@lakemountainresort.com.au

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I've started writing something. John I'll pm you about it.

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I'm sure I could get the handful of mates I ride with to come up and help out. (If it's a weekend)

Great that you are initiating this, we did have some volunteer assistance in 2011 with the Fat Tyre fairies for some rock gardens on the No 7 (ruins run) and they are bullet proof today(the rock gardens that is). We don't expect an army of help but just a few coordinated mates can take on a feature and take ownership of it and do great work, more importantly I can prove to DEPI that the bike community is engaged, supportive and integrated into this project. My email is andrew@lakemountainresort.com.au

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I'm sure I could get the handful of mates I ride with to come up and help out. (If it's a weekend)
yeah me too Pete, OCDr and his mates are local too. We will need some guidance from Andrew and some weapons/ tools. Im happy to help.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Yes, happy to help and so is our (local) club. PM me if anyone needs anything - accom, lift, liaise, whatever.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Yes, happy to help and so is our (local) club. PM me if anyone needs anything - accom, lift, liaise, whatever.
maybe a supervised and LM supported work/ dig/ dream/ /ride weekend. Could we perhaps camp on site? Is there a BBQ and TV for the cricket. We could all watch gladiator movies and ride naked through the night.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Motorised Diggers should not be used to build XC singletrack.
It isn't the implement used to dig thats the problem, it's the person operating the machine or tools.
I've ridden some amazing trails that have been built by hand and I've ridden some incredible machine built trails. I've built amazing trails by hand and I've also used machinery. The outcome? Smiles all round!

Big JD

Wheel size expert
It isn't the implement used to dig thats the problem, it's the person operating the machine or tools.
I've ridden some amazing trails that have been built by hand and I've ridden some incredible machine built trails. I've built amazing trails by hand and I've also used machinery. The outcome? Smiles all round!
yes mate at the end of the day we all want amazing trails in natural enviroments that bring on big smiles

Last edited:

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
maybe a supervised and LM supported work/ dig/ dream/ /ride weekend. Could we perhaps camp on site? Is there a BBQ and TV for the cricket. We could all watch gladiator movies and ride naked through the night.
Sounds good John - looking forward to it!

vergard

Squid
Much a'do about nothing

Rode Lake Mountain today, curious to see what effect the machinery had on the descent to Snowy Hill.
Not sure what all the fuss was about, maybe a couple of the berms are a bit overdone but it is overall better riding. A couple of hundred meters of lightly buffed, slightly less rocky trail actually adds a bit of variety to what is still a full focus track, one more rain and it will be fantastic.
This trail has not been dumbed down, come check it out on the Granite Grind weekend. (Am I allowed to plug our event like this?)

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Rode Lake Mountain today, curious to see what effect the machinery had on the descent to Snowy Hill.
Not sure what all the fuss was about, maybe a couple of the berms are a bit overdone but it is overall better riding. A couple of hundred meters of lightly buffed, slightly less rocky trail actually adds a bit of variety to what is still a full focus track, one more rain and it will be fantastic.
This trail has not been dumbed down, come check it out on the Granite Grind weekend. (Am I allowed to plug our event like this?)
That's good news mate. The fear was that the work would continue and consume more of those wonderful trails.
Good luck with the event- I'm hoping to be there

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I've been in touch via email with Lake Mountain management a bit over the last week. Rather than start an online petition, they're very keen to receive actual feedback about the trails - what do you like about them, what don't you like. And so I'd just like to encourage anyone who rides, or intends to ride at Lake Mountain, to get in touch with them. Let them know what sort of trails you want to ride! Their email address is admin@lakemountainresort.com.au

As you will have read, they're building a new trail down to the ticket booth. Myself and some friends have volunteered to participate in a working bee type of event, I'm sincerely hoping LM take up the offer. If they do, I'll post the details up here (and maybe in the trail building section), and if you can, pleeeeease come along. With any luck we can get a variety of A and B lines that might just keep everyone* happy.

*Disclaimer: may not include you :biggrin:

rsclio

Likes Dirt
Hey guys
interested in this dont get up there much but loved the trails as they were
Also interested in the Sunday event on the granite grind weekend
Cannot seem to find details on entry , costs etc
Can anyone point me on the right direction?
Cheers