AM LaPierre ZestyAm 827 2015

link1896

Mr Greenfield
After thinking about it for a bit, I am going to red loctite the hub back together for now, while I raise the scratch for some nice wheels.

Will strip the hub bare, turn up some plugs and attempt to pull red loctite in with a vacuum because, well, I can.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The real question is, what carbon wheels in the internal 30-32mm wide category.

15x100 and 12x142

Second hand enve?
Light Bicycle?
Nextie?

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Replaced the bearings in the front SRAM hub.

23 x 32 x 7 bearings. Aka 23327 or MR23327

Made a double ended drift I'll probably never use again. Happy to lend it to any poor sucker trying to swap bearings on these front hubs, pretty unique bearing size, and I'm tipping the tool from SRAM is $$$$

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Took her to Smiths Gully/One Hill near Sugarloaf Reservoir for 25k and 634 of vert.

Fast, scary fast on the down. Climbs well. XT M8000 brakes have to go, no modulation at all. Guides the whole way.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt

15x100 and 12x142

Second hand enve?
Light Bicycle?
Nextie?

Figuring budget is 1500ish.
Don't believe the hype about enve's, they've got as many warranties as nextie or any other carbon rim.

I've been running a set of these laid up with additional carbon +15 to 20g for almost a year: http://www.carbonbicycle.cc/proshow.php?cid=77&tid=59&id=210#.WhkebROCwWo

They're currently built up with hope pro 4's, dt revolution spokes and brass nipples. They've done a hell of a lot of riding in the past year, primarily downhill stuff and they've held up great, haven't had to retension them at all. This build should come in at around $1k or just under.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Don't believe the hype about enve's, they've got as many warranties as nextie or any other carbon rim.

I've been running a set of these laid up with additional carbon +15 to 20g for almost a year: http://www.carbonbicycle.cc/proshow.php?cid=77&tid=59&id=210#.WhkebROCwWo

They're currently built up with hope pro 4's, dt revolution spokes and brass nipples. They've done a hell of a lot of riding in the past year, primarily downhill stuff and they've held up great, haven't had to retension them at all. This build should come in at around $1k or just under.

Thanks for the input. Your not the first one to say Enve wheels are not worth the hype.
I'll be building my own, I've built about 30 wheels in my time. The premium Chinese carbon stuff seems to all have a pretty good rep, no way for these guys to hide a poor reputation on online forums they don't moderate.

In the running are Light Bicycle, nextie, carbonfan, carbonbicycle. Sure there is more.

Hubs will be pro4. Spokes Sapim double butted. Nips brass.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Fast, scary fast on the down. Climbs well. XT M8000 brakes have to go, no modulation at all. Guides the whole way.
Swapping one set of problems for another. The previous generation of Shimano are much better than both.
Cyclingdeal have the SLX m675s for cheap. M785s sometimes come up on Ebay for cheap.

The sad thing is I have a set of m755s that are better than everything short of Saints. Talk about regression.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Swapping one set of problems for another. The previous generation of Shimano are much better than both.
Cyclingdeal have the SLX m675s for cheap. M785s sometimes come up on Ebay for cheap.

The sad thing is I have a set of m755s that are better than everything short of Saints. Talk about regression.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Nah, I've 7 sets of guides now. All sorted, all working amazingly well, no ongoing issues with my fleet of guides.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Guide RS are now on and working nicely. Took ages but I did a full rebuild on levers and callipers.

The internal routing on the lapierre is a bit tricky. Used thin wire hooked up to the old shimano line to pull the guide line through.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Guide RS are now on and working nicely. Took ages but I did a full rebuild on levers and callipers.

The internal routing on the lapierre is a bit tricky. Used thin wire hooked up to the old shimano line to pull the guide line through.
I had such a bad time routing brake lines. Had to take the bottom bracket out and drag the cables out of the down tube as there wasn’t enough space. Broke the bottom bracket smacking it out as well which just annoyed me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
*Clears throat* I told you so.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
I've rebuilt many. Once rebuilt properly, they are good for many many thousands of km. I hate shimano'a lever feel, can't afford Hope brakes on all my bikes, so am happy to throw time at Guides.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've rebuilt many. Once rebuilt properly, they are good for many many thousands of km. I hate shimano'a lever feel, can't afford Hope brakes on all my bikes, so am happy to throw time at Guides.
The Shimano lever feel is down to sponginess in the lines. The grabbiness is the organic pads.

I'm like the mirror image of you. Shimano on most of my bikes but I run Goodridge lines and sintered pads. In saying that I've been hoarding m785s and Zee's because the current generation clearly has problems.

I could run Hopes but I don't like working with Dot fluid and to be honest I think the increased modulation is horseshit. My m755s were showing Mono6s a thing or two 10 years ago.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I had such a bad time routing brake lines. Had to take the bottom bracket out and drag the cables out of the down tube as there wasn’t enough space. Broke the bottom bracket smacking it out as well which just annoyed me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A draw wire is the answer. Thin steel wire wrapped and taped to the existing line makes it a lot easier.

Flow-Rider

Burner

15x100 and 12x142

Second hand enve?
Light Bicycle?
Nextie?

Figuring budget is 1500ish.
What wheels or rims did you end up going ? I'm going to build some carbon rims up next year but I'm not sure if I would bother with old mates Rims, Zaf on here had a few issues with warranty.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
What wheels or rims did you end up going ? I'm going to build some carbon rims up next year but I'm not sure if I would bother with old mates Rims, Zaf on here had a few issues with warranty.
Haven't decided yet.

I've been trawling through the Facebook wheel builders group. Seems Nextie, Light Bicycle, Carbon Cycle and Carbonfan are all rated highly, premium Chinese carbon rims have come of age.

Hubs and spokes will come from zee Germans.

Anything but light bicycle puts the total spend at a tad under 900 bucks. That's awesome.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Haven't decided yet.

I've been trawling through the Facebook wheel builders group. Seems Nextie, Light Bicycle, Carbon Cycle and Carbonfan are all rated highly, premium Chinese carbon rims have come of age.

Hubs and spokes will come from zee Germans.

Anything but light bicycle puts the total spend at a tad under 900 bucks. That's awesome.
I also planned on a budget of around a $1000 and leaning towards Nextie, not sure if I want to go 30mm ID because I want to keep the rolling mass down. I'm also looking at Top Most rims direct from China as I've bought a frame from them before that the carbon was excellent on but they skimped on the pivots a bit. A few blokes have also said the wider rims can be a bit more exposed to rocks when you bottom out the tyre.