AM LaPierre ZestyAm 827 2015

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I also planned on a budget of around a $1000 and leaning towards Nextie, not sure if I want to go 30mm ID because I want to keep the rolling mass down. I'm also looking at Top Most rims direct from China as I've bought a frame from them before that the carbon was excellent on but they skimped on the pivots a bit. A few blokes have also said the wider rims can be a bit more exposed to rocks when you bottom out the tyre.
I'm leaning towards nextie and carbonfan.

Unsure on width yet, had been thinking 32mm ID.

I'm only 75kg kitted up, and have never been a wheel abuser.

I need to get a big spreadsheet going comparing widths, weights, and ERDs

link1896

Mr Greenfield
After a few rides on the current wheel/tire combo, on familiar tracks, I can't get near the epic's times set at night with the 827 in the daylight, front end just doesn't go where it's pointed. Sure a big travel bike can smash over the big jumps, but rocks and roots mid corner push it off line very quickly. Suspension setup is very close to what shockwiz calls ideal.

Front minion is in good condition, I've played with pressures and spoke tensions are as high as a dare for very marginal improvements. I'm fairly sure this is the carbon vs aluminium rim difference, masked slightly by vastly different bikes.

LaPierre 827 uses SRAM roam 40 27.5" ally with 2.3 minions.
Epic uses Specilized Control Carbon with 2.25 Nobby Nic. All tubeless.

Well sorted carbon 29"'shits all over crappy 27.5"

Many many more pucker up moments pushing the lapierre 827 hard, to be slower then an XC bike.

As soon as I'm back from holidays, Nextie carbon on hope pro4 here we come. Still just pondering width.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After a few rides on the current wheel/tire combo, on familiar tracks, I can't get near the epic's times set at night with the 827 in the daylight, front end just doesn't go where it's pointed. Sure a big travel bike can smash over the big jumps, but rocks and roots mid corner push it off line very quickly. Suspension setup is very close to what shockwiz calls ideal.

Front minion is in good condition, I've played with pressures and spoke tensions are as high as a dare for very marginal improvements. I'm fairly sure this is the carbon vs aluminium rim difference, masked slightly by vastly different bikes.

Many many more pucker up moments pushing the lapierre 827 hard, to be slower then an XC bike.

As soon as I'm back from holidays, Nextie carbon on hope pro4 here we come. Still just pondering width.
I am getting some carbonfan rims laced up atm, they have asymmetrical rim that is wide (29id) and light 400gram (29er). Made for trail/all mountain. I don't need a rim made for enduro so I went with carbon fan over nextie. Time will tell if I made the right call..

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I am getting some carbonfan rims laced up atm, they have asymmetrical rim that is wide (29id) and light 400gram (29er). Made for trail/all mountain. I don't need a rim made for enduro so I went with carbon fan over nextie. Time will tell if I made the right call..
I suspect they are also a solid offering for their intended purpose. I'm leaning towards Nextie based on the second hand market, most popular carbon rims being traded on Facebook groups seems to be Nextie.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I suspect they are also a solid offering for their intended purpose. I'm leaning towards Nextie based on the second hand market, most popular carbon rims being traded on Facebook groups seems to be Nextie.
Nextie's have 20% off rims till tomorrow..

goobags

Likes Dirt
I literally placed an order for the same rims Kerplunk ordered 3 hours ago not knowing about the Nextie sale.

Crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I literally placed an order for the same rims Kerplunk ordered 3 hours ago not knowing about the Nextie sale.

Crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fwiw the carbonfan's look good visually and my wheelbuilder reckons they will build up nice.. Also they aren't stupidly deep, so the rim isn't nearly bigger than the tyre as with some other rims...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Fwiw the carbonfan's look good visually and my wheelbuilder reckons they will build up nice.. Also they aren't stupidly deep, so the rim isn't nearly bigger than the tyre as with some other rims...
How did the carbonfan rims turn out?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Much much nicer with nobby nic 2.35 front and rear.

Ordering Nextie asymmetrical rims as soon as I decide on what width I want. 33 vs 29mm ID.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How did the carbonfan rims turn out?
Get them next week will review when I get a chance..

Much much nicer with nobby nic 2.35 front and rear
Interesting, I have a NN on the rear in 2.25 and it's great when there is some moisture in the dirt.. On summer hardpack the knobs feel really squirmy at my 95kgs.. Have a Rock Razor ready to go when the new wheels come.
The nic is cut to bits and weeping sealant after 6 months, had a run down all-mountain at Thredbo and it finished it off shredding the side knobs ..

Last edited:

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Whilst I don’t doubt the goodness of the sram wheels being subpar, I can’t see them being the main reason for not being as quick as the epic.

It’s more geometry and squish in my opinion.

I’ve ridden plenty of downhill trails on downhill bikes, and sure, the bikes are fit for purpose, and well setup etc.... but I’ve never been as quick as I am on a short travel bike. I have just never been able to get on with the extra squish and slackness of a full downhill rig.

I’d wager that this is the equivalent to what’s going on here with you. Epic to Zesty, is my trail/enduro rig to downhill bike.

By all means, get your shiny carbonium hoops, they’ll be ace, but I feel like it’s more the bike than a single component.

Have you considered ignoring shockwiz and setting it up on the firm side to slightly complement the sharper/firmer ride of the epic?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yep, quite valid points, a 150mm bike is a challenge when any pedalling is involved. A Trek fuel ex 9.8 is next on the shopping list for the stable. :)

Yesterdays blast down Hug in the pissing down rain was fast, 4 seconds off my PB on the epic, and I wasn't even trying, had the clear glasses off because they fogged up instantly, and had the rear shock fully open because retard forgot to charge the battery. The nobby nics suit my style on this bike a whole lot more. Wheels still don't feel as directionally stable as the carbon 29" on the epic, but I was very surprised just how much more confident I feel with the nobby Nics, knowing exactly when they are going to brake loose.

Think I've settled on 29mm ID Asymmetrical Nexties. Now should wait for the Chinese New Year sale.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The claim to fame of this bike is the e:I system, works really well when the battery isn't flat!

I'm going to make my own battery enclosure that can house two Panasonic 16850 protected cells, the lovely Frenchmen ignored all common sense with the battery pack and placed two lithium ion cells in series, with no "balancing" terminal, so both cells are charged in series, any characteristics mismatch between cells results in one cell being over charged, one under charged. A big NO NO with lithium ion/polymer cells. My battery is barely lasting two hours of usage.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I'm going to make my own battery enclosure that can house two Panasonic 16850 protected cells, the lovely Frenchmen ignored all common sense with the battery pack and placed two lithium ion cells in series, with no "balancing" terminal, so both cells are charged in series, any characteristics mismatch between cells results in one cell being over charged, one under charged. A big NO NO with lithium ion/polymer cells. My battery is barely lasting two hours of usage.
That is a pretty odd move.

Maybe they need more net voltage across the batteries and could only get it that way opposed to parallel plus adding complexity converting it to a higher voltage. Or it was probably cheaper this way?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
That is a pretty odd move.

Maybe they need more net voltage across the batteries and could only get it that way opposed to parallel plus adding complexity converting it to a higher voltage. Or it was probably cheaper this way?

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Nah, inexperience or head in the sand sadly.

Discharging in series for a higher system voltage and charging in parallel, aka "balanced charging" is perfectly achievable. A two cell "battery" needs the centre tap brought out to the charger for balanced charging. Look at any lithium battery in a half decent consumer product, there are two large terminals, and one or more smaller terminals. The smaller terminals are the junctions between cells so the charger can see individual cell voltages. >4.2v on a single lithium cell is bad bad bad.

Ironically high quality cells like Panasonic's are such high quality you can get away with series charging, but off brands are a crap shot at best and lack the repeatability needed for blind, let's hope for the best series charging.

If you really want to learn, here a great primer on lithium iron tech. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Look at any lithium battery in a half decent consumer product, there are two large terminals, and one or more smaller terminals. The smaller terminals are the junctions between cells so the charger can see individual cell voltages. >4.2v on a single lithium cell is bad bad bad.
Ok, that makes sense. I did notice the third terminal which makes sense that it is charging them in parallel.

If you really want to learn, here a great primer on lithium iron tech. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries
I have indulged in some battery learning goodness. Li Ions are definitely more picky.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Ok, that makes sense. I did notice the third terminal which makes sense that it is charging them in parallel.

I have indulged in some battery learning goodness. Li Ions are definitely more picky.
Now go to YouTube and search for lipo fire clips. Basically Lithium Polymer has a slightly different chemistry the lithium ion, not in a steel can, but charging characteristics, and fires are the same. Slightly higher energy density in lithium Polymer.