Large Shark catch and kill order WA.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Off topic, but you all know what the last Tassie Tiger in captivity died of?
Exposure. Concrete floor in a cage with no shelter, poked and prodded all day every day. But his brothers and sisters that aren't in captivity are doing a great job of flying under the radar...
BTW, almost 200 MILLION sharks are killed every year for the shark fin trade in Asia. Random fact, but a fact. Isn't that just unbelievable?!

driftking

Wheel size expert
I tried to steal a lion cub in Africa and got attacked by the lioness, clearly the answer is to kill all lions....... :/

Seriously though, I am against this idea, you cannot intrude another habitate and then not expect the potential danger. I can see the value of it purely becise its saving "human life" but its totally a unfortunate response to just eliminate anything that gets in the way.
I have to admit I did not read the whole thread (phone and 12pages would be a pita)

Sharks don't attack humans with intent to kill as far as I am aware unless for some reason your in a breeding zone, hence why thy bite And let go, they don't want to eat us.

Sharks are acting in a natural way, its not like they are out to get us.
We are entering thier habitate, thier house, we are essentially unknown to them, they don't owe us anything and I think most important of all they don't have the reasoning and knowdge we do, thy cannot help thier actions, we have more knowledge we have reasoning and we can decide to make a better choice and not kill them.

moorey

call me Mia
Exposure. Concrete floor in a cage with no shelter, poked and prodded all day every day. But his brothers and sisters that aren't in captivity are doing a great job of flying under the radar...
BTW, almost 200 MILLION sharks are killed every year for the shark fin trade in Asia. Random fact, but a fact. Isn't that just unbelievable?!
Technically, I believe it was "neglect"....even though they knew it was likely the last.....

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sharks are acting in a natural way, its not like they are out to get us.
Human's are acting in a natural way. Every animal (including human)'s basic instinct is survival, we aren't doing anything the shark isn't doing, Man poses possible threat to shark, shark attacks. Shark poses possible threat to man, man attacks. Human beings are the number one predator on this planet.

I don't agree with a mass shark culling, but it doesn't and hasn't affected me so why would I? Put yourself in the mindset of someone it has affected, they're not thinking the same way you are. We've all been to the ocean and at one point or another, being attacked by a shark, was the last thing on our minds.

There has definitely got to be a better resolution than killing something, but it hasn't been that way in the past, and I don't for see it being that way in the future, unfortunately.

rb baby

Likes Dirt
Im a recreational Abolone diver in and around the Esperance region, have been for some 20+ years, i've seen plenty of sharks in my time, i know the risks i think old mate being nibbled on twice in 9 years and surviving, are well in our favour.

My view on a cull of large sharks in the region?

Im fine with this as so many family's holiday and children from all other the Goldfields region grow up swimming in these areas so i feel the less sizeable noahs arks lurking in the waters and believe me there is alot, then the better for every body in the region including me because i love abalone and i get close to a 9 month season to dive for it at a cost of $45 a year and its too expensive to buy.

Dont think of this as a reaction to an adult diving at his own risk, we are not in anyway protected by shark nets, surf patrols, or the air support as others in this state or country, sharks are out there and i dont think they are thinning out...

Bermshot

Banned
Mate, your exaggeration was ridiculously self-serving, surely you can see that.

The example was a hypothetical, given that it involved a country with widely known severe brutality and abuse and the rape of children I figured it was an example that every civilised person would be repulsed by. However you're either continuing to defend your position with absurd reservations or you believe that details may exist that justify the rape of children and oppression of millions.

I'd assume your just being a little pig-headed and defending your position as I doubt you'd ever condone the rape of children.

And at this point, I think its time some one mentioned Hitler.....
I will for your enjoyment) and knowledge.

You see, Adolf is the Great Evil, not due to the lies you have been told, but the ones you weren't told.
That he took a impoverished famine induced people (treaty of Versailles, 1st ww reparations) to wealthy and prosperous in 4 yrs, how? No more usury (look that word up). Was also embargoed. No not war machine build up.

So the Great Sharks had their way, they chewed up 40 million whilst gaining dues from both sides...for ever!

Look for the real sharks on land, far more troublesome.

moorey

call me Mia
Im a recreational Abolone diver in and around the Esperance region, have been for some 20+ years, i've seen plenty of sharks in my time, i know the risks i think old mate being nibbled on twice in 9 years and surviving, are well in our favour.

My view on a cull of large sharks in the region?

Im fine with this as so many family's holiday and children from all other the Goldfields region grow up swimming in these areas so i feel the less sizeable noahs arks lurking in the waters and believe me there is alot, then the better for every body in the region including me because i love abalone and i get close to a 9 month season to dive for it at a cost of $45 a year and its too expensive to buy.

Dont think of this as a reaction to an adult diving at his own risk, we are not in anyway protected by shark nets, surf patrols, or the air support as others in this state or country, sharks are out there and i dont think they are thinning out...
Fuck, I hate this mentality.... Cull the sharks, because they potentially impact on my occasional recreational fun and saves me a few dollars on buying a luxury food. :tsk:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Fuck, I hate this mentality.... Cull the sharks, because they potentially impact on my occasional recreational fun and saves me a few dollars on buying a luxury food. :tsk:
Did you miss the bit about families and kids?

Either way, it perfectly illustrates how someone who actually lives there empathises with they local reaction while those with absolutely nothing to lose in this equation, shout from the other side of the country from the safety of their land locked properties .

Arete

Likes Dirt
While playing golf gives you a reasonable chance of being a douchenozzle in stupid shoes, a cull seems like an extreme response to tax evasion...

I used to be a divemaster in South Australia. Driving to the dive site remains more dangerous statistically speaking than the dive, and if a GWS has locked on to you and is coming in at 30 knots to take a test nibble, you're ticket's pretty much punched. Kinda like plane travel - the likelihood you'll actually be involved in a plane crash is minute, but if it happens, there's probably not much you can do about it.

That said, like safety devices in planes, you can not dive/surf at dawn/dusk - not swim around with a bag of dead fish attached to your leg, etc.

I've also deliberately dove with bull sharks in the Catalina Islands, hammerheads in the Galapagos and when on a whale shark trip the shark turned out to be a tiger instead of a whale shark, I jumped in anyway. They've always elicited fascination in me rather than visceral fear. Given how decimated the shark population has been by shark finning, and how sharks don't "learn" to attack humans (in fact, the fat:bone ratio of humans and most other terrestrial mammals makes us rather indigestible to sharks http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f00/web1/mccabe.html) I can't really see how a cull would have any substantial effect on attacks.

I did read a paper looking at the global rise in shark attacks which found that the absolute number of attacks globally had actually not increased in relation to the increase in the number of people partaking in water sports - will try and dig it up.

Now, the shore line is not the sharks backyard, never has been, never will be.
Actually, bull and tiger sharks in particular will venture into very shallow water in search of prey - displaying a preference for murky water and estuaries. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00227-001-0711-7#page-1

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie

Either way, it perfectly illustrates how someone who actually lives there empathises with they local reaction while those with absolutely nothing to lose in this equation, shout from the other side of the country from the safety of their land locked properties .
Build a shark net swim area for the kiddies to play in?

moorey

call me Mia

You're serious, aren't you? Who is forcing these families and kids to enter the water? Even then, as stared, in WA, the odds if shark attack are 1 in 3,000,000. Do you know how many kids die drowning, mainly in backyard pools each year? What are you doing to outlaw pool for the sake of kids and families?

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saw on the news last night that they have decided not to kill the shark as the danger has passed or something.

Incidentally - it was mentioned about killing crocs a few pages back. Well they do - was watching a docco about Kakadu NP the other night and the rangers trapped and killed a croc as it was in a waterhole that tourists might have swum in. No relocation, just 2 bullets to the head.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
So just out of curiosity, show of hands who in this thread has ever done any work with shark conservation? Donated money to shark conservation efforts? Hell, who here has deliberately gone looking for sharks to get in the water with?

D2R

Likes Bikes
Early this afternoon, the WA fisheries department cancelled a “catch and kill” order for the shark.

Director General Stuart Smith issued a statement saying the order had been cancelled because there was no longer an imminent risk of another attack.

“There have been no further sightings of a white shark in the area and it is likely that the shark responsible for the attack is no longer in this general locality,” Mr Smith said.

“Efforts have also been made to advise people camping around Cape Arid about the incident which has reduced the likelihood of them entering the water.”

Capture gear was deployed at the site of the attack yesterday and re-set at 5am this morning.

Earlier today, the department said the shark posed an imminent threat to campers to the area during school holidays.

But Mr Smith conceded this morning it was possible the wrong shark could be caught.

"We probably won't know for sure unless there's evidence of DNA that we will be able to test,'' he told ABC radio this morning.

Mr Smith admitted the DNA results would not come back until after the animal was killed.

But he added that the size of the animal would also help to determine if it was likely to be the shark that attacked Mr Pickering.

Mr Smith said the department's shark experts had informed him that the shark could have swum away from the area or it could remain lurking in the waters for some time.

It is the second time a kill order has been issued in WA.

On the previous occasion, two tiger sharks were caught and released after they were tagged, but the great white shark the department was looking for was not found, Mr Smith said.

A department spokeswoman said a decision on whether to continue with the kill action would be made this afternoon.

Australian Underwater Federation WA spearfishing representative Graham Carlisle told PerthNow that Mr Pickering was an active and respected member of WA’s diving community and had held the position as records officer with the federation for many years.

“Greg has always been involved in the ocean life; he’s spent a lot of his time in the water both for pleasure and for work,” he said.

“He would have had a number of close calls, as would any spearfisherman.

“The more time in the water, the higher probability something will happen. That’s just an accepted reality of the work.

“The guys are very cautious, they’re very careful in general.”

Mr Carlisle said the diving and spearfishing community was very close-knit in WA.

“All the abalone divers know each other and the spearfishermen are just as tight,” he said.
http://taronga.org.au/animals-conse...e/australian-shark-attack-file/latest-figures

Shark Attacks In Perspective

Compared to fatalities from other forms of water related activity the number of fatal shark attacks in Australia is extremely low. In the last 50 years, there have been 50 recorded unprovoked fatalities due to shark attack, which averages one per year. Based on the same calculations used by the International Shark Attack File for the 'annual risk of death during one's lifetime' from various activities in America - Australia has a 1 in 3,362 chance of drowning at the beach and a 1 in 292,525 chance of being killed by a shark in one's entire lifetime.

There is an element of risk in any activity we undertake. To put the risk of being killed by a shark into perspective, the following figures illustrate the risk of death associated with other water related activities in Australia.

There are an average of 121 deaths per year from people drowning at Auatralian beaches, harbours and rivers each year (Royal Life Saving Society National Drowning Report 2011). During the period 1969-2000, in NSW alone, 218 rock fishermen were swept off the rocks and drowned. In that same period 40 shark encounters were recorded in NSW with only two fatalities reported. Diving related deaths in Australia 1945 - 1987 = 292 (Diving Accident Management in Australia, 1988).

Any use of this information in any publication must contain appropriate accreditation to the Australian Shark Attack File, Taronga Zoo. The database is dymanic and regularly updated and revised (eg numbers of recorded attacks and their outcomes are subject to change reflecting the new information available and new cases as they occur).

Related links:
http://www.stopsharkfinning.net

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Saw on the news last night that they have decided not to kill the shark as the danger has passed or something.

Incidentally - it was mentioned about killing crocs a few pages back. Well they do - was watching a docco about Kakadu NP the other night and the rangers trapped and killed a croc as it was in a waterhole that tourists might have swum in. No relocation, just 2 bullets to the head.
Yep, they kill some, they also relocate some too. Oh, and by the way, in Canada they kill bears that attack people, normally they catch and relocate.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
So just out of curiosity, show of hands who in this thread has ever done any work with shark conservation? Donated money to shark conservation efforts? Hell, who here has deliberately gone looking for sharks to get in the water with?
I went swimming after a bunch of reef sharks in thailand after some my gf (at the time) blundered into their path whilst we were snorkelling. THey'd buggered off by the time I got round there unfortunately.

I also live and surf just around the corner from where the largest Great White ever to be caught was landed (Phillip Island) and I would love to be able to see one in the wild before I die (preferably not immediately before though).

Calling for a cull on a protected species just to calm the nerves of a handful of recreational water users and tourist fleecers is just plain wrong and if the local tourist industry thinks that their entire livelihood is dependent on water safety, then they should look to outlawing rips first of all as they are far more dangerous to beach users than sharks ever have been.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Im still interested to find out the original question of why all of a sudden these great white attacks are occurring, im not going to start arguments about little details etc, but the original question was why these attacks all of a sudden started?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Im still interested to find out the original question of why all of a sudden these great white attacks are occurring, im not going to start arguments about little details etc, but the original question was why these attacks all of a sudden started?
Despite Great Whites being found in almost every ocean around the world and a general increase in recreational water use, it seems that WA is the only place where the attacks happen.

I can only surmise that it's because God hates people who wear fucking Hi-Viz everywhere they go!