Large Shark catch and kill order WA.

0psi

Eats Squid
I'd also like to see people pull back from "we must do something now, now, now - won't some one please think of the children - panic" mindset.
The thing is it really isn't a 'we must do something now' mindset, it's been a good 18 months coming, I think it's a bit more of a 'this has gone on long enough it's time to do something' mentality. From having spoken to a few WA residents there seems to be a similar feeling over there, one couple I spoke to recently said they hadn't been into the water in close to a year because they just didn't feel comfortable.

I'll concede that the culling program is a bit of a punt and it may not work but I think it's worth a shot and probably better than the other options of nets or banning people from certain beaches. I'd like to think (given the way the catch and kills orders were handled) that the culling program will be well handled. Certainly a better option than the nets we have off Sydney's beaches.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Plug in pest free.

Put up some nets with really big buoys on the surface so people know they are there. Nets are pretty useless, but make people feel safe.

Then hold a huge triathalon to celebrate and on the back of my success at keeping the sharks away, hosting a successful event, and the tourism/sponsorship dollars it brings in I'd call an early election.
Your earlier idea sounded more fun. If we can't go with that then I'm off to Africa. I've heard that endangered White Rhinos have been touching up kids and I'm going to organise a cull on this menace.

On a side note. Is anyone interested in some magic Stella Rhino Horn powder. It'll put lead in your pecker! only $10,000 a gram for mates rates.

willsy01

Eats Squid
So moving on a little bit, for those opposed to a cull, what would you suggest be done instead?

Not trying to stir things up, just genuinely curious as to what people think is a better option than targeted culling?
I suggest doing nothing.

The ocean is their turf. This whole culling thing has been brought about by alarmist fuckwits......cull them if anything.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Damn rhinos! They have been causing problems for decades. I'm in for the trip if you need a partner! Provided we get some giraffe legs (need to eat the bones to get taller) and some hippo lard (no other fat delivers a crispier fry). May as well get some lion penises as well.

Having trouble in the bedroom? Let her know you are the king of the jungle!

al_

Likes Dirt
one couple I spoke to recently said they hadn't been into the water in close to a year because they just didn't feel comfortable.
Since they haven't been eaten in the past year, it sounds like their tactic of staying out of the water is working well!

The actual threat of being eaten is effectively non-existent. If people are too small-minded to recognise that, just let them stay dry. It is pretty simple stuff.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm generalising, myself.

And I really don't care if people haven't been in the water for a year. There's kids in central Australia who've never even seen the coast, so what? As I was saying, people have to adjust to the realities of life and stop expecting that the world is supposed to be their luxury playground.

I'd like to ride Black Mountain and paint the walls of every train (which doesn't even hurt anyone) but I cannot. So be it, find something else and get on with it.

I have no problem in having the right non-lethal solution to the shark issue take a number of years. Small sacrifice.

I continue to swim at the beach when I'm on the coast. My decision that I am responsible for, let others be the same.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm generalising, myself.

I'd like to ride Black Mountain and paint the walls of every train (which doesn't even hurt anyone) but I cannot. So be it, find something else and get on with it.
Me too! Newcastle to Sydney trains (the 50 year old shit ones) recently had an internal make over and someone has chosen a combination of aubergine shades for the job. It is visually abusive and causes nausea! Like visiting your real strange spinster great aunty.

The authorities introduced "quiet carriages", something I am a fan of, but most people either ignore or don't know about. Not much signage on the carriages either. I reckon that they should employ the services of some graff artists to cover the carriages inside and out in signage! Make it glaringly obvious what is going on. And we all know how much people talk about graffiti...would have everyone's attention.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Was that article written as part of a School Project? It was painful to read and factually inaccurate. Port Fairy is not in South Australia. It's in VIC. Speaking of Vics. Vic Hislop is a prize goose. You used to see interviews with him in mags like FHM and Loaded back in the UK when I was growing up. Even then to unknowing Brits he came across as a paranoid redneck nutter. That record breaking Great White that he landed was caught just off Phillip Island btw. They are out there in the Bass Strait but thankfully we don't have our State government waving pitchforks and flaming torches calling for a cull here yet...

al_

Likes Dirt
There is some good stuff in here.

And what will the killing of this one shark achieve? There is absolutely no evidence to support the “rogue shark” theory, sharks are no more or less likely to bite a human if they have bitten before. It will not act as a deterrent for other sharks.

The way to reduce attacks is not to kill anything that poses a threat to us. It is to educate people on how to minimize their risk, the times of day and conditions under which attacks are most likely to occur, put warnings at beaches that these areas are known to be frequented by white sharks. There have been only 20 fatal attacks in WA waters since 1839. There really needs to be some perspective involved as to the calculated risk we take when we enter the ocean, and some real facts as to how small that threat is.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...itish-tourist-car-in-kruger-park-9059595.html

Can any of you experts please clarify this for me and tell me the difference as clearly i dont understand.

Certainly! There are a few differences that might not be immediately apparent to the layman.

Are they killing all the elephants indiscriminately because of this incident? Nope

Has anybody here commented saying that the elephant should have been put down? Nope

Are the authorities saying "you should get up as close as you can to these creatures?" Nope

Is this in Australia? Nope

Are South Africans generally renowned for being good policy-makers? Nope

Is that elephant a shark? Nope

Do elephants live in the ocean? Nope

Do sharks have trunks? Nope

Are sharks attacking cars? Nope

Can sharks fly? Nope

Can elephants fly? Yes. (I saw a documentary about one that used its ears as wings when I was young)

Is this story even remotely relevant to WA's shark cull? Nope

0psi

Eats Squid
Snip- There have been only 20 fatal attacks in WA waters since 1839.
People keep bringing this up and it's completely fu**ing irrelevant.

If you want a better perspective on it look at it this way. In the 172 years between 1839 and 2011 they averaged one death every 12 years, roughly. In the past 2 and a half years the average is a bit less than 3 in a single year.

If we are to take the average for the past 2 years and extend it back to 1839 there would have been about 510 deaths by shark attack.

There's another picture doing the rounds which says there's been 600 odd mining deaths and only 20 shark attack deaths since 1839. All good and well except that there have been more deaths by shark attack since September 2011 than mining.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
People keep bringing this up and it's completely fu**ing irrelevant.

If you want a better perspective on it look at it this way. In the 172 years between 1839 and 2011 they averaged one death every 12 years, roughly. In the past 2 and a half years the average is a bit less than 3 in a single year.

If we are to take the average for the past 2 years and extend it back to 1839 there would have been about 510 deaths by shark attack.

There's another picture doing the rounds which says there's been 600 odd mining deaths and only 20 shark attack deaths since 1839. All good and well except that there have been more deaths by shark attack since September 2011 than mining.
Dunno where you're getting that idea but FMG's site at Christmas Creek has had 2 fatalities since August 2013. There was also a fatality at Telfer in December. That's 3 in the last 4 months - 2 more deaths than have been attributed to sharks. If we look at the last 5 years (instead of just cherry-picking the spate of attacks that started in Spring 2011) there have been 15 fatalities in WA mine sites compared with 7 fatal shark attacks.

Whether you are playing the long game with the stats or the short game. Mining still wins out.

0psi

Eats Squid
Fark. Is there no end to how you twist the stats in your favour?:faint2:
Stats are stats, how can I twist them in my favour?

(instead of just cherry-picking the spate of attacks that started in Spring 2011)
Fair enough, my mining stats were gathered from the internet as I know nothing about mining. I just looked at it because of a protestor sign about mining deaths vs. shark deaths. As for my cherry picking stats starting from Spring 2011 well that's kind of the point isn't it? As far as I know they weren't calling for a cull in 1998, this is direct response to, as you put it, the spate of attacks that started in Spring 2011 in Western Australia.

Talking about anything prior to 2011 is pointless, it's like pro gun lobbyists saying that there has been an average of 1 gun related death per year, technically accurate if you start the count at 1242bc.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Stats are stats, how can I twist them in my favour?

Talking about anything prior to 2011 is pointless, it's like pro gun lobbyists saying that there has been an average of 1 gun related death per year, technically accurate if you start the count at 1242bc.
No it isn't. people have been using the water prior to 2011 and people have been mining prior to 2011. Anybody wit an ounce of common sense will tell you that random events often cluster. (best analogy I've heard is that if you drop a handful of ball bearings onto a flat surface they will not evenly spread out. You will get small - sometimes even large - groupings) The Summer of 2011/12 had an abnormally large number of fatal attacks. That hasn't been repeated in 2012/13 nor does it look like it will repeat in 2013/14

For stats to be used in an argument you need to use standard increments for length of time (i.e 1 year, 5 years, 10 years etc) or else your argument just comes across as desperate. Both the 1 year and 5 year fatality stats have mining in the lead.

0psi

Eats Squid
http://news.nl/omg/articles/2014/01/omg-tweeting-sharks-rescue

Interesting one here. Seems like a cool plan and could work pretty well on patrolled beaches at least, provided the guards were onto the twitter feed.

However one line does sort of explain the mass hysteria surrounding the cull. I'd guess a handful of sharks would be culled at best. A lot of people seem to think the aim is to kill everything in sight.

The state is the worst in the world for deadly shark attacks, and the authorities were taking revenge by killing thousands of the monster fish and outraging conservationists.