Late model dh bike opinions...

Ideate

I'm 6'3" and around 100kgs, my G1 was a large and it worked fine for me.
Interesting. I'm a midget at 175cm so hopefully a large G1 would also feel nice. For some reason the G1's look like they have a steep HA.. the G2's geometry looks better but probably isn't vastly different ride wise (from what others have said).

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Interesting. I'm a midget at 175cm so hopefully a large G1 would also feel nice. For some reason the G1's look like they have a steep HA.. the G2's geometry looks better but probably isn't vastly different ride wise (from what others have said).
G1 looks steeper as down tube goes lower near BB. G1 actually was a touch steeper, but came with angleset making it about the same as G2.
PM me if you want to know anything else about Zerodes, even used ones.

Ideate

Just building one now. It's so heavy! Trying to figure out if my 2.75“ Ti Spring is going to be ok..

No Skid Marks

Just building one now. It's so heavy! Trying to figure out if my 2.75“ Ti Spring is going to be ok..
See if it coil binds or not.
Spring calc for your weight here, although it's now for G2.
.http://www.zerodebikes.com/page/Bikes/
If you consider it has the equivalent of chain guide, derailleur and cassette and the weight is all low and centered, you'll find as mentioned, it only feels heavy to lift by hand, not much when riding. I'd say you'll be very happy with it. 95% of people feel faster and more confident after a handful of runs.

Ideate

See if it coil binds or not.
I think it's going to bind (even with titanium spacing). I'm 100kg.. the Zerode table only goes up to 90kg lol.. it says a 550 spring for 90kg rider. I've got 450 Ti and steel so hopefully it doesn't feel too mushy.

Not too worried about weight. As you say, it won't feel like that when you're riding. All the weight comes from the spring and the Alfine so if I can get this Ti spring to work, then that'll reduce the weight somewhat. Can't do much about the Alfine though.

driftking

Wheel size expert

G1 or G2
I thought the g2 now takes a 2.75, I think the g1 took a 3.00
Confirm?

The 2.75 should work in a 3.00 but its also questionable.

I'm going to go with your assumption and say it will bind. :) Awaiting the result.
Is it just me or does the RCS seem to have more coils than other ti brands?

Last edited:

Ideate

G1 3" rc4. I think it'll bind because I'm fat. It would be fine otherwise because of the extra spacing.

driftking

Wheel size expert
G1 3" rc4. I think it'll bind because I'm fat. It would be fine otherwise because of the extra spacing.
It shouldn't matter if your fat. The spring still moves the same distance to reach bottom out.
If you were 50kg with a 200lbs spring on it or 300kg with a 2000lbs spring on it the spring still moves the same length to reach full travel.
Whether it binds is purely down to free length and spring compression required to bottom out, your weight doesn't matter.

You should bottom out the shock occasionally it means you're using full travel. if the spring bottoms out before the shock = bind. If the shock reaches bottom out first than no bind.

note: Adding preload takes away free length so if you need to run lots of preload to get the lighter spring to work than you most probably will coil bind with a 2.75.

Last edited:

Ideate

Yeah I get it. I just have this funny feeling, comparing the original steel spring with the Ti replacement I have. It'll be fine I think as you've explained the shock's stroke won't bind the spring (unless is was wound up a bit). Does anyone sell spacers? Or do people just put whatever behind the bottom out rubber?

No Skid Marks

Yeah I get it. I just have this funny feeling, comparing the original steel spring with the Ti replacement I have. It'll be fine I think as you've explained the shock's stroke won't bind the spring (unless is was wound up a bit). Does anyone sell spacers? Or do people just put whatever behind the bottom out rubber?

There's no need to do anything(accept cross fingers spring doesn't snap prematurely). There should be enough thread. Otherwise forget it.
Seeing as it's most likely too soft, forget it anyway. You could try it once maybe to confirm spring rate, but it'd not be very accurate.

driftking

Wheel size expert
You shouldnt need spacers as NSM said below there should be enough thread on the shock body to wind it on and hold it in place. The binding will be dependent on the free length as we have established. But if the spring rate is wrong don't even bother. The first part of getting the bike to work well is getting the spring weight that you need.

There's no need to do anything(accept cross fingers spring doesn't snap prematurely). There should be enough thread. Otherwise forget it.
Seeing as it's most likely too soft, forget it anyway. You could try it once maybe to confirm spring rate, but it'd not be very accurate.
+1

Ideate

Yeah plenty of thread so I'll run it this weekend to confirm spring weight and see how we go.

No Skid Marks

Yeah plenty of thread so I'll run it this weekend to confirm spring weight and see how we go.
Measure sag to confirm spring rate. Otherwise you'll have a corrupted reading from damping and barstadise your damping to suit. Zerode is one of the worst bikes to check sag on by riding as it absorbs square edge hits so well.
Measure is best.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Measure sag to confirm spring rate. Otherwise you'll have a corrupted reading from damping and barstadise your damping to suit. Zerode is one of the worst bikes to check sag on by riding as it absorbs square edge hits so well.
Measure is best.
+ 1 again.
Measure sag if its good ~30-35% go ride it tune it, if you cant reach your desired feel with the tune than there might be need for a custom tune or changing spring rate depending what you feel. Some people will run up to 40% sag but it will depend on what the zerode was designed around and how it feels.

On that point NSM what is the zerode designed around in terms of sag?

No Skid Marks

On that point NSM what is the zerode designed around in terms of sag?
Around 30%, but the built in anti squat is small and not as sag location specific as a lot of bikes. High pivots naturally fight bob so less chain controlled anti squat is needed(therefore less pedal kickback and more supple suspension).
Geo etc would most likely be the worst compromise by running too much sag.

Ideate

Eventually got it built. Runs smooth but heavy. I notice it most when trying to load it into the Yakima Highroller ;) Jumps better than expected though.

zerode g1.jpg

driftking

Wheel size expert
Eventually got it built. Runs smooth but heavy. I notice it most when trying to load it into the Yakima Highroller ;) Jumps better than expected though.

View attachment 304938
On trail weight though? I found with my old glory because the weight was so low and central it didn't feel as heavy on the trail as it did loading and pushing back up.

Nice build, deemax's set it off nicely against the stealthy frame and fork combo. Good choices.
How did you go with the spring rate?

Ideate

No, you're right, it doesn't feel heavy when you're riding. Just when you're pushing, loading or trying to haul ass up hill. Comparing this to the 6" wish though so it's as expected I suppose.

I couldn't get a 600lb spring in time but was freakily lucky to find a nice bloke selling a 500lb on here so I picked it up before I left for Mt Beauty thinking it'll have to be better than the 450lb. And it is. So I'll probably go 550lb Ti when I get back instead of 600lb as planned. Plus I don't want to hold onto this pot for ever so it's good incentive to lose weight (as apose to the health risks like diabetes etc..)