Latest eMTB tech

Minlak

custom titis
I think the weight is a bigger factor than extra power.
At present it is a different experience going downhill , like having a truck under you rather than a lively bike .
True but I’m not sure where they can save much more weight and not start getting failures?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
True but I’m not sure where they can save much more weight and not start getting failures?
The weight reduction will come from the reduction in size of the batteries (and that's not just making a smaller kwh battery). The main weight of and Ebike over a conventional bike is the battery followed by the motor. Can't see them getting the same power output motors that much lighter but there's probably more scope in the battery to be much lighter in the future.

Minlak

custom titis
The weight reduction will come from the reduction in size of the batteries (and that's not just making a smaller kwh battery). The main weight of and Ebike over a conventional bike is the battery followed by the motor. Can't see them getting the same power output motors that much lighter but there's probably more scope in the battery to be much lighter in the future.
100% the main place for a gain is the battery - and I guess therefore they could spec lighter components- but how much do you reckon they can really gain in reduction from batteries? - 1 or 2kg?

The biggest complaint from people on forums or reviews all seem to centre on the bikes needing to be hustled more when going down - weight would solve that too I guess.

Stredda

100% the main place for a gain is the battery - and I guess therefore they could spec lighter components- but how much do you reckon they can really gain in reduction from batteries? - 1 or 2kg?

The biggest complaint from people on forums or reviews all seem to centre on the bikes needing to be hustled more when going down - weight would solve that too I guess.
Yes, unless some flash new battery tech comes along (and that's quite a plausible giving the amount of money getting throw at batteries now) they won't be saving that much for a year or more.
I think with the rest of the bike components, they are getting near the limits of weight savings without compromising strength. You constantly see Ebikes getting specced with tyres that are too light or brakes and suspension that are woefully inadequate.
My local council bought a Trek Powerfly hardtail for trail inspection and maintenance and the brakes are so bad it is downright dangerous. Can't even pull up on a reasonable grade fire road descent.

Stredda

I was talking to the Merida shop yesterday and they charge $300 to “derestrict” the bikes - he was telling me his current bike was doing 72km/h and was still giving pedal assist
Interesting. I thought that would void the warranty but maybe not

Minlak

custom titis
Interesting. I thought that would void the warranty but maybe not
I agree interesting! In the days of computer logs etc I’m sure they can probably plug the motor in and get codes and data in the event of a failure? But also interesting it’s the retailers offering the de-restrictions - maybe you sign a waiver to have it done?

Minlak

custom titis
Sounds like bollocks to me. What kind of gearing?
Yeah I was too polite to call it that.
No idea - I just know he hires out ebikes for trials and I wanted to try one - he didn’t have any hires currently available until new stock arrives and then he went into sales mode - I mentioned that when I ride with another ebike rider we often have chuckles when we get to 26km/h and she has to pedal hard to keep up - that’s when he mentioned de-restrictions and told me the information.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
My mate put a Bafang 750w mid drive kit on a bike and it showed 74km/h in the stand under no load in top gear.

Generally I think the de restriction stuff gets you 40-50 riding top speed because it's carrying a person, a Bafang 750w kit will do 45 fairly easily if you pedal hard and have the gears for it.