Latest eMTB tech

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The colours?
I dunno, I don't really look at what else is out there.
Really, if it's not a gearbox, it's pleb-tier anyway.
The one you linked isn't a gearbox either (I think). Generally the rule with ebikes is if you need more gears, it really means you need more power.

FYI he main mid drive offerings are the Bafang BBS and Tong Shen TSZD. Both can be had for about $400-$500 landed. They replace the crank, add batteries and that's it.

Z

Zaf

It's a strap on e-bike, which sounds about as perverse as I see it as a concept when introduced like that.
Sounds pretty much like an expensive one of what you're talking about with carbon and colours for the premium.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi All, I'm trying to justify a new bike purchase, and looking at potentially an emtb (Merida e One sixty?) or maybe a regular bike. Currently have a Trance Adv that is a few years old, relatively new Pike + GX 1x drivetrain. My only real issue is I'd prefer to run a longer dropper, as I have quite a long torso and short legs I ride a large frame and with a 490 seat tube on the large Trance I can only run a 100mm dropper. Medium felt too cramped though.

Anyway the real reason for posting here is to get some feedback, to be honest I have never even ridden an emtb. The concept looks good - put more fun into climbing as I really don't enjoy it that much and if reviews are to be believed descending just as much fun.

So if I am going to drop $6K or so on my next bike should I supplement the Trance with an e-bike or get a Ripmo....what would you do and why?

birdmanoz

Likes Bikes
Hi All, I'm trying to justify a new bike purchase, and looking at potentially an emtb (Merida e One sixty?) or maybe a regular bike. Currently have a Trance Adv that is a few years old, relatively new Pike + GX 1x drivetrain. My only real issue is I'd prefer to run a longer dropper, as I have quite a long torso and short legs I ride a large frame and with a 490 seat tube on the large Trance I can only run a 100mm dropper. Medium felt too cramped though.

Anyway the real reason for posting here is to get some feedback, to be honest I have never even ridden an emtb. The concept looks good - put more fun into climbing as I really don't enjoy it that much and if reviews are to be believed descending just as much fun.

So if I am going to drop $6K or so on my next bike should I supplement the Trance with an e-bike or get a Ripmo....what would you do and why?
Hey mate - emtbs are great fun. Because of the different modes of support they really give you the choice on what sort of workout you want. On the Bosche system the lowest Eco mode is like riding a normal MTB (it basically just counters the extra weight of the bike). Tour mode, sport mode (or Etmb mode) and Turbo provide lots of support. Tour is often enough unless you are cooked and want to keep going for a bit longer - just put it into sport. Turbo is not really needed unless you are on super steep terrain. I recommend you give one a try. The new Trek 2019 range is pretty good as well.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, I rode one for the first time yesterday.

I waited till me legs were cooked and my mate said “c’mon give it a go “
GateWay Drug ! It was awesome my litttle legs whooshed up a big hill in Lysterfield !
So , yes they are pretty awesome . Went down the trail pretty good - it’s a hard tail so maybe my duallie was squishiest .
Mate was blown away with how ‘light and flickable my bike was ‘

But yes , I’m convinced I want one .

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Due to my very boring life and being on holidays......waiting to motivate myself to get up and go for a ride .
I was laying in bed this morning eagerly awaiting the Specialized release !
Prob won’t see here for a month or so ( maybe ) but a new bike is on my list .
Trek or Specialized not sure , as I fairly certain no manufacturer makes a dud bike anymore .

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think I’ll need to sell some body parts , they seem pricey .
Will try to sell to my offsides as “ but it will help me stay healthy and happy “ till she finds out the price and murders me !

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Weight weenie methods have infiltrated...

Gee they are getting kinda normal looking...
A mate has the non sworks 2018 carbon expert (for the right medical reasons), again the wrong side of 20kg, crazy rotating mass. Hard as shit to pilot down my favourite slalom course, but only a few seconds off my best pedalling times. It gets pretty exciting throwing a mates bike, worth more then 10 grand, through tree gaps at over 30km/h with wreckless disregard.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Weight weenie methods have infiltrated...

Gee they are getting kinda normal looking...
Only normal looking if you've been looking at the new yetis all day. But it doesn't look like the usual Ebike either I guess.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Anyone catch this Pinkbike article?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/revon...s-gearing-eliminates-the-rear-derailleur.html

Wasn’t specifically looking at ebike tech but this caught my eye (didn’t hurt). A CVT motor/gearbox setup with some pretty cool software that can keep you at a set cadence using the CVT or simulate a virtual cassette from 5 to 20 cogs if I understood correctly.

I wonder could this tech also be used without the motor ie. on a fully pedal powered bike?

Minlak

custom titis
Anyone catch this Pinkbike article?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/revon...s-gearing-eliminates-the-rear-derailleur.html

Wasn’t specifically looking at ebike tech but this caught my eye (didn’t hurt). A CVT motor/gearbox setup with some pretty cool software that can keep you at a set cadence using the CVT or simulate a virtual cassette from 5 to 20 cogs if I understood correctly.

I wonder could this tech also be used without the motor ie. on a fully pedal powered bike?
Let’s be honest here they have taken hold like crazy it’s only a matter of time before they start to “improve” them. The extra torque a motor generates will be used elsewhere soon enough.

Nambra

Let’s be honest here they have taken hold like crazy it’s only a matter of time before they start to “improve” them. The extra torque a motor generates will be used elsewhere soon enough.
Agreed, but the thing I was wondering about more was the possibility of having a non-motored CVT gearbox on a bike instead of the traditional derailleur setup. Having the electronics behind this setup would allow virtual gearing, and also full CVT if you wanted it. Can it be done without a motor though?

Minlak

custom titis
Agreed, but the thing I was wondering about more was the possibility of having a non-motored CVT gearbox on a bike instead of the traditional derailleur setup. Having the electronics behind this setup would allow virtual gearing, and also full CVT if you wanted it. Can it be done without a motor though?
CVT I would say no not easily as it’s an automatic gearbox. Closest you will get is a mech gear box like a Zerode but with the DI2 shifter arrangement. This would allow you to program a cadence and the shifting will automatically shift the best gears to match that cadence. So still technically a manual gearbox with external sources controlling it.

Nambra

That sounds sensible but we are talking about a motor assisted system, not purely motorised. There's still pedal input, and they claim CVT is achievable - how does it behave when the battery is flat I wonder?

Just thinking it could be the sort of drivetrain tech that finally usurps the rear derailleur? You could program it to have any virtual gear spread from 5 speed up to 20 across the full or any partial range of the actual gearbox range, with whatever increments in between each "gear" you like. Take that a step further - the software could let you have gearing "profiles" for various situations - have a profile with higher ratios for steep stuff, lower for flat stuff and so on.

Minlak

custom titis
That sounds sensible but we are talking about a motor assisted system, not purely motorised. There's still pedal input, and they claim CVT is achievable - how does it behave when the battery is flat I wonder?

Just thinking it could be the sort of drivetrain tech that finally usurps the rear derailleur? You could program it to have any virtual gear spread from 5 speed up to 20 across the full or any partial range of the actual gearbox range, with whatever increments in between each "gear" you like. Take that a step further - the software could let you have gearing "profiles" for various situations - have a profile with higher ratios for steep stuff, lower for flat stuff and so on.
If the battery goes flat it can’t shift I would suggest you get “limp” mode at a pre determined battery level. Once it’s all motorised you can do anything they want it’s as soon as that power goes out that all the electrics etc don’t work.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
CVT motor/gearbox setup
Lost me at cvt lol. But I would have thought that one of the first things to go with a decent mid drive ebike would be the derailleur. Single pivots are the other thing that I would think match an ebike well. When you have more power, you don't really care for pedal bob. It also allows you to run a carbon belt making the back end much cleaner and ditching any sort of tensioning all together.