Latex doing strange stuff, Heat?

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Been having some issues with my tubless setup lately

Mounted some new tyres (tubless, Schwalb) on to some new rims and they wouldn't stay up for more than a day, Had latex in it.

Also noticed a clear secretion around the bead. Like honey in texture and small bubbles forming. This secretion is enough to form beads and run down the tyre and collect on the floor. Does not go hard

The latex was a Bontrager branded latex.

Over here in WA we are hitting regular 40-42 degree days, Has my latex cooked or gone off?

Bad brand of latex?

Ideas

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
I had this issue when i first did mine with the stans, after a few rides it sorts itself out, however the tyres do generally need to be pumped up before every ride because they do lose a little.

teK--

Eats Squid
Did u shake the wheel side to side all around circumference and then sit the wheel horizontal for a few minutes on each side after doing so?

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Yep, slopped the latex around after mounting (just like you should ;)) then a hard 50 km ride, then cleaned the rims and Tyre's last nite and then this morning.

I am not to fussed about the tyre going down, Its the clear liquid being secreated that I would like to sort,

uploadfromtaptalk1393138474535.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you took a bead off the rim, what does the sealant/liquid look like? To a untrained eye it looks like the sealant has separated..Latex and fluid.. Checking what it looks like on the inside of the tyre may help.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
Yep, slopped the latex around after mounting (just like you should ;)) then a hard 50 km ride, then cleaned the rims and Tyre's last nite and then this morning.

I am not to fussed about the tyre going down, Its the clear liquid being secreated that I would like to sort,

View attachment 284707

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
I had this with mine at first they kept going down I pumped them up to max pressure . Then done all the slop around stuff followed by a 15 minute ride it seems to help it fixed my issue .

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
If you took a bead off the rim, what does the sealant/liquid look like? To a untrained eye it looks like the sealant has separated..Latex and fluid.. Checking what it looks like on the inside of the tyre may help.
IT does look like the latex has seperated.

Pulled the tyre of the rim and surprise, Latex has all dried out which is strange as I topped (50ml) it up 4 days ago on Thur. Not even a little puddle in the bottom.

I have now washed the tyre and rim , Removed the old latex coating and applied more stans latex. 75ml this time.

Will see how it does.

Strange as never had this happen before,

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have seen this with sealant sometimes..Only after a extended period of time however, not the short timeframe you mentioned..Might it be a bad batch of sealant?

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
I have seen this with sealant sometimes..Only after a extended period of time however, not the short timeframe you mentioned..Might it be a bad batch of sealant?
Had it with the Bontrager latex and last thur cleaned out and replaced with Stans (new bottle)

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Clear liquid has started leaking out again.

This is after scrubbing and removing most of the old latex of the tyre.

All I can think is either the temperature or some bacteria has got into it (No idea really)

creaky

XMAS Plumper
My roval wheels seem to have an endless supply of clear water like fluid seeping out from around the valve hole in particular. Buggers me where it some from if it ain't from the sealant ???

None of my other wheels do it and I assume it is because the rovals have a one piece seal tape thingy which probably is not as tight as stan's tape etc.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
When it bubbles out, just spread it round with your finger and let it dry. Maybe the the poor mans fix but after i did that it sealed up and never had a problem again after the exact same symptoms as this.

Last edited: