Lauf Grit Gravel Bike, anyone have one ?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The Spesh Roubaix has the same future shock unit, and I think it can be locked out if you don't want the squish on asphalt or hardpack gravel.
Can't remember which models but remember speaking to a spesh dealer wbout this and they said only the upper end models have the lockout. The lower end ones just have a normal unlockable shock. But either way shouldn't matter too much.

Part of the issue with a suspension front fork is when you pedal is sucks some of the energy. With the futureshock, because of where it is located it really is designed only to move when your hands apply pressure to the bars. If you were riding hands free, a suspension fork would bob under pedaling, but a future-shock shouldn't. I'm a pretty big fan of this, but not enough as I find the correct tyre coupled with steel/Ti works well enough without the complexity. But if you feel there is value, I'd go this over a lauf any day.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Can't remember which models but remember speaking to a spesh dealer wbout this and they said only the upper end models have the lockout. The lower end ones just have a normal unlockable shock. But either way shouldn't matter too much.

Part of the issue with a suspension front fork is when you pedal is sucks some of the energy. With the futureshock, because of where it is located it really is designed only to move when your hands apply pressure to the bars. If you were riding hands free, a suspension fork would bob under pedaling, but a future-shock shouldn't. I'm a pretty big fan of this, but not enough as I find the correct tyre coupled with steel/Ti works well enough without the complexity. But if you feel there is value, I'd go this over a lauf any day.
I like the idea of the futureshock - a problem with the first version has supposedly been fixed, but anything that adds mechanical complexity adds more possibilities of failure. I would be inclined to get a Paralane or a Synapse, but if I was able to test ride a Roubaix or Diverge, then I might change my mind.
I like the Paralane's 35mm tyre clearance and 72.5mm seatpost diam, allowing for greater choice with fitting a nice carbon post, as opposed to the Synapse, with it's proprietary 25.4 mm post, and 32mm tyre clearance.

That being said - ride them if you have the opportunity. what looks best on paper may not be the one that feels best on the road.
You might have to wait for the 2021 bikes to land, and ????? put deposit down ???? in order to secure one of the right size.

Also, fuck buying 2nd hand carbon with no warranty, just saying ... ;)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I like the idea of the futureshock - a problem with the first version has supposedly been fixed, but anything that adds mechanical complexity adds more possibilities of failure. I would be inclined to get a Paralane or a Synapse, but if I was able to test ride a Roubaix or Diverge
Yep totally agree. For a gravel bike I prefer to keep it simple. If youare going for a conventional gravel bike, the paralane and synapse are two of many many options out there. But OP seems hellbend on getting some shock absorption, and futureshock is probably best bang for buck in that regards.

Other notable (but in my view totally rubbish) concepts include:
  • Canyon and their double decker bars which look atrocious but are supposed to offer some flex for the arms
  • Trek with their isospeed coupler for rear compliance
  • Shock stems, plenty around, but BMC have also offered it in their own models.
  • Truss fork, most commonly seen in Jones frames - this one in my view sucks badly but I have never tried it so reserve judgement. if lauf is for hipsters then this on is for cream of the crop hipsters.
  • Cannondale lefty topstone. Better than the lauf and more price effective imo.

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Yep totally agree. For a gravel bike I prefer to keep it simple. If youare going for a conventional gravel bike, the paralane and synapse are two of many many options out there. But OP seems hellbend on getting some shock absorption, and futureshock is probably best bang for buck in that regards.
Paralane and Synapse (and Roubaix) because they are primarily Endurance Road bikes that Can be ridden on gravel if needed.
To each their own, for sure.

ForkinGreat

Just not the synapse due to their insistence on BB30!
I think you can get an alloy sleeve that can be pressed in, and then run a normal screw-on external cup BB. I have a pressed in sleeve on my cheapo carbon roadie that was BB30 or some such press-fit, so I can run hollowtech II cranks.
(or a praxis or other screw-together BB - but the sleeve thing is only around $30 or so)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I can't bear to watch the whole thing, but "the paint is the same colour as my princess blanket"

Damn.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I'm sure he's the Kanye West of the road bike world but is his engineering wrong?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
If we are strictly speaking about his engineering claims, then there is a massive thread on Slowtwitch regarding his aero testing claims and poor methodology used. There are some big names in there called him out including Josh Poertner, Tom Ahern, and Damon Rinard among others.