Launch Helmetcams VIO POV1

adman

Likes Dirt
Yeah these camera's are nice, thinking of buying on of the analogue comp ones. For your interest... there are few vids people here might think are cool.

Go Here!

The 3rd vid down has a clip of Tolosa (hobart, tas) of the road gap and bombshell, and the 4th vid is a sweet vid by Farkin.net!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Is it me (my PC) or are those clips in showing crappy colour. I see purples and greens instead offull colour.:(

hickdawg

Likes Bikes
I've just bought this unit and haven't had the chance to use it yet. I want to get some footage like Rennie on Drift 3 where the camera is looking back on him. Can anybody give me instructions on the easiest and best way of achieving this?

rs_dan

Squid
Ive used one of these in a Rally car and they give awesome quality. Some of the stages were done at night and also came out really good. ive got a link somewhere here with some footage that hasnt been compressed to watch in youtube. so if you want pm me :)

atsunD

Likes Bikes
yeah they looked nice and simple from ads I'd seen in mags etc so it's good to read a review that confirms it.
I wonder what the RRP - I know it's mentioned that it's over a grand but I can't see an actual figure??
cheers

bethextrem1

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking about getting one for myself, everything I've heard has been good so far.

Might be a nice investment

Yes

bethextrem1

Likes Dirt
I've just bought this unit and haven't had the chance to use it yet. I want to get some footage like Rennie on Drift 3 where the camera is looking back on him. Can anybody give me instructions on the easiest and best way of achieving this?
Strap a golf club/stick to your helmet with the camera pointing back at you, done.

Other helmet cams

Has anyone out there tried any other helmet cameras.
There has to be some other company out there with them a little bit more affordable.

Questions

Just to clarify the few questions that have been asked about this product.

1. 24Alpha - I have the same problem with viewing the clips on my computer. If you want to see some raw footage email us or check out our demo page at launchhelmetcams.com

2. Hickdawg - Bethextrem1 is correct, a golf club is the best option, however make sure that you use a carbon fibre shaft that will break if you hit the dirt (you can even cut notches in it to create weak points). The last thing you want is your neck breaking coz you had a golf club strapped to your helmet. It is a very dangerous thing to do, so think about the consequences before trying it.

3. RRP is $995 including GST and express delivery.

4. We have a huge range of cameras to suit all budgets. Feel free to contact us at the details above or call (08) 9361 1285.

Thanks to the guys at Farkin.net for taking the time out to review our helmet camera kit!

TassieDi

Squid
These cameras are great. I use the Elmo at work, it's pretty easy to use, but you have to make sure the set-up is right. It's easy to strap the camera on a little off-centre so the clips come out crooked and you end up watching them with your head tilted to the side! I've found that you get really good footage if you follow people, the only problem I have is keeping up with the people I'm trying to video! Any other ideas for camera set-up that doesn't risk vertebral fractures? ;)

DIRT ROCKS N TREES

Likes Bikes
hey, i use the older style sony helmet cam with a sony digital 8 camera and ive been browsing newer ones which are alot easier to use and weigh nothing compared to my old set up but nothing comes close to the digital 8 resolution. The camcorder cost $750 6 years ago and helmet kit was $600 3 years ago also run a lanc remote which makes it to easy and is going strong ,i can watch caputured footage on a large tv and it fills the screen 780x560 res newer ones are 640 x 480 res. When you save the footage to a editing program in D8 its about 5 mins per gig where newer ones are about 15 to 20 mins per gig, getting hold of the older d8 cameras is getting hard and the new high defintion ones wont handle the beaten and have no port for a helmet camera nor lanc remote thanks to sony :mad:

rdomain

Squid
and have no port for a helmet camera nor lanc remote thanks to sony
I know what you mean. I have an old hi8 sony and a high def sony. Neither have the RCA ins.

I'm seriously thinking of buying this kit. I thought it shot in widescreen?? Can anyone confirm this? And I'd love to see some full screen footage before purchasing. The online videos are tiny really.

Any other feedback from people who own this system? I'd like widescreen filming with dvd quality. If this isn't the one to go for, any other suggestions?

Thanks.

I know what you mean. I have an old hi8 sony and a high def sony. Neither have the RCA ins.

I'm seriously thinking of buying this kit. I thought it shot in widescreen?? Can anyone confirm this? And I'd love to see some full screen footage before purchasing. The online videos are tiny really.

Any other feedback from people who own this system? I'd like widescreen filming with dvd quality. If this isn't the one to go for, any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Yes, the POV1 shoots in widescreen. You can set it to 720x400 (instead of 720x480) which is widescreen.

To get some raw footage, contact us at enquiry@launchhelmetcams.com

We sell all sorts of helmet cams and have been in the industry for years and the POV1 is by far the best system out there. Yes, you will get slightly better footage with an analogue helmet camera hooked up to video camera, but the downside of these systems (weight, size, complexity, messy cables with heaps of connections leading to failures, etc) far outweigh the quality gain. We now sell very few of the older style analogue systems.

If however that is a path you want to go down, contact us and we can suggest some video camera models. Sony don't make compatible ones anymore with a LANC port, but with a bit of patience you can find good second hand ones on ebay for around $300-$400 (minDV tape models that are a lot smaller than the older Hi8 ones too). Steer clear of hard drive cameras; they're just not made for the job and they die quickly.

Keep in mind that the POV1 video quality is in a different league to the other SD card based cameras out there (GoPro, VHoldR, ATC2K), so if you've seen stuff from them before and not been impressed, check out the POV1. Some of those other cameras DO offer great value for money, just don't expect DVD quality or lots of functionality.

With bikes we have to chose two of the three: strong, light, cheap. With helmet cams it's more like: high quality video, good functionality, cheap. You can't have all three.

rdomain

Squid
Thanks for the super fast delivery! For anyone wanting to check a quick test, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISdYEV4TeJg but be sure to watch in 'high quality'.

I've yet to mount the camera as I'll wait til my Nukeproof Helmet mount arrives. I'll be sure to post my first successful bike footage. Probably next week as my main DH rig is currently getting warranty work done.

ps. forgive me if the link doesn't work as I'm currently at work and they block all utube access so I can't check it til later.

GoPro Cameras at RogueGear.

Great post Rdomain, My staffie also eats anything put infront of her face.

Launchhelmetcams is correct that the POV1 does take great footage video, however it all comes with $$$$

We sell the GoPro Helmet HERO which costs $249.99 (1/4 the price) and comes with everything you need to mount to your bike helmet, or bike. There is also additional clamp mounts to attach to your tubing of the bike, 19mm - 36mm in diameter for $29.99.

The camera has great quality video and is more than enough for most users. It comes with an internal image stabilizer, and great sound pic up to take out any vibration issues.

Check out the footage on our website...type in goprosport into google..

The other benefit of the GoPro camera is it's 30 meters waterproof, and an ideal camera for water activities, surfing, scuba diving, kayaking, etc. This camera can be used for more than just 1 sport.

Cheers,

RogueGear.

Bodin

GMBC
The camera has great quality video and is more than enough for most users.
If you're going to make claims like that, you need to substantiate them. Your product is cheaper because it's... cheaper - considerably lower resolution video. :rolleyes:

POV1: 720*480 @ 30fps
Hero: 512*384 @ 30fps

I'm sure Launch Helmetcams could make a cheaper product like yours if that was their intention, but they chose to make a higher-quality product.

I don't think it was very appropriate of you to hijack this thread to promote your own - particularly not when yours isn't really comparable. If you want advertising space, there are better ways to do it.

Launch Helmetcams made their product available to test over a long period, were easily contactable at all times, provided excellent support and showed incredible understanding when the review got delayed. All in all a fantastic group to deal with and I totally trust them and their product.

What have you done to deserve your space in this thread?