Lean on wallrides(*banks*)

CanCer

Likes Dirt
Has anyone had success with building northshore-esque wallrides?
Something like this one here :

I'm thinking of making one at the bottom of a 4x style track i'm building at my mates place, in order to aid withturning, and in the place of a berm, which would be hard to build given the location.

Should the angles be more verticle like an actual wallride, or should i have it a bit slacker in order to make it ridable at a lower speed?

Last edited:

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
do a physics course. the angle of incline would be related to entry speed and radius of the turn.

Nah, if you think a lot about it it would be quite easy to estimate the angle and length and radius of the bank.

blackjack

Likes Bikes and Dirt
alpinestar12 what the hell. i dont want to do a physics course so i can build i wall ride. if i was building one i would just make is how i thought it should be and then test and modify. ahhhh the normal persons solution

CanCer

Likes Dirt
alpinestar12 said:
do a physics course. the angle of incline would be related to entry speed and radius of the turn.
How would it be related?(Serious question by the way) Cenrifugal force would push the bike out and against the bank, wich would have to be sloped up enough to stop the bike from sliding out and off the edge, but wouldn't that only be at very high speeds? As it is a turn leading into a chicane style bermed section, speed wouldn't be too much of a problem.

I think...

I was more seeing if anyone had built something too *low* for use or had had experience riding and building and had found stuff that worked really well, or really badly.

simple, set yourself up with lots of 4 by 2 timber. you prob want 1 piece at 2 meters and another at 1.5, coach bolt them together using an upside down y formation and then u will have one peice for the ride,
all u need to do then is use say 3 or 4 of these constructions all bolted together with more lenghts of 4 by 2, and u have the frame for you wall (bank for the nazi's) ride track, panel it up with fence paling's and ur done

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
alpinestar12 what the hell. i dont want to do a physics course so i can build i wall ride. if i was building one i would just make is how i thought it should be and then test and modify. ahhhh the normal persons solution
Pfft why be normal when you can use physics :p.

How would it be related?(Serious question by the way) Cenrifugal force would push the bike out and against the bank, wich would have to be sloped up enough to stop the bike from sliding out and off the edge, but wouldn't that only be at very high speeds? As it is a turn leading into a chicane style bermed section, speed wouldn't be too much of a problem.
Even at low speeds banking angles come into play. DETERMINING the banking angle has everything to do with radius and entry speed. But how banked the slope is will determine how much force (from friction) the tyres will need to provide to stop the bike and you from sliding off the berm/wall/corner.

Example:If you are hitting a corner at 36km/h = 10m.s-1 (4sf) that has a 5m radius then according to:
tanθ = v^2 / (rg)
where:
r=radius
g=gravity on earth=9.8m.s-2
v = velocity or speed
θ = the optimum banking angle or angle at which the berm needs to be built at so that even if you were riding with super slick, oil coated, Vaseline treated tyres you still wouldn’t slide off it is ~ 64 degrees (2sf).
If your entry speed is faster than this or the corner radius is smaller the berm will need to be steeper and vice versa.

Wow physics is actually useful in the world (unlike yr 12 maths).

Last edited:

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ah ha ha ha "Centrifugal Force" lmao, I suppose you still believe in santie claus as well? sorry, no-one will get this joke anyway.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Hahaha i laughed when i saw that too but thought if i mentioned people would just think im a tard. And the chance of santa being real is much higher than centrifugal force being real.

CanCer

Likes Dirt
Hahaha i laughed when i saw that too but thought if i mentioned people would just think im a tard. And the chance of santa being real is much higher than centrifugal force being real.
Yeah probably not the best label but i knew wat i was trying to say, and from lack of understanding what it was, i made up the next best thing, a half-baked educated gess...

But still, cheers for all of that anyway. Should be pretty simple to go work it all out now :rolleyes:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
alpinestar12 said:
ah ha ha ha "Centrifugal Force" lmao, I suppose you still believe in santie claus as well? sorry, no-one will get this joke anyway.
teehee... i love understanding jokes like this... makes me feel so intelligent... (the feeling wont last..) :eek:

Timbot

Likes Dirt
looks like a burm to me

put your wall in place and brace.trial and error unfortunatly as nobody has seen your track.