Lets talk about... Private Health Insurance.

Private VS Public Health Insurance

• Public Health Sytem all the way!

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • i DO have Private Health Insurance

Votes: 45 76.3%
  • i am thinking about getting Private Health Insurance

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • I can't afford Private Health Insurance

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
WA, St John Ambulance cover, $113 / year (for a family of 4). We definitely take out ambulance cover each year.

Used to have private health but never found much value in it, generally medicare covers around 50% anyway and private health covers most of the rest, then you still have gap expenses (depending). If I saved the cost of private health insurance for all those years then I could probably easily afford major surgeries later in life, which actually depending on the life insurance policy I may or may not be covered for anyway!

Childbirth as a private patient in a public hospital vs a public patient in a public hospital, there wasn't a huge difference.
I know that not having private insurance, if you need surgery it means either going on the public waiting list or paying $$ to have it done privately. Guess I'll take my chances.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Childbirth as a private patient in a public hospital vs a public patient in a public hospital, there wasn't a huge difference.
Paid for private cover and the doctor got stuck in traffic anyhow. Chances are pretty good that you will get whatever doctor is on shift at the hospital anyhow. Much easier if ladies just laid eggs.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Paid for private cover and the doctor got stuck in traffic anyhow. Chances are pretty good that you will get whatever doctor is on shift at the hospital anyhow. Much easier if ladies just laid eggs.
Even if your obstetrician is there my experience was that the midwives do most of the work anyway.
Obviously it's different for a caesarian.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Even if your obstetrician is there my experience was that the midwives do most of the work anyway.
Obviously it's different for a caesarian.
So, why the hell was it so important that I leave the pub to be there?

scblack

Leucocholic
Both of my children were born by Caesar with a booked date at a Private Hospital. I'll be buggered if my diary was going to be blown apart by screaming little crappers.