Lets talk Gloves.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Hasn't been a glove recommendation thread since 2017 so I figured I'd start another one since theres been numerous new brands and models.

First gloves I used were size L fox digits, which I loved, so comfortable but atop my clumsy hands disentergrated quickly.
Currently using a size L FOX Defend glove which I don't like that much. I find that the plam bunches up a lot and causes blisters.
I tried a pair of my mates size M FOX Legion moto gloves and thought they fit good.
I bought a size M 100% 3d Cognito glove thinking maybe I was a size M all along? they don't fit (these are free to anyone in willing to pay the postage or pick up in melb just pm).

What gloves do you guys use and recommend?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Thanks for the info gloves are always good to get reviews on. I'll take the 100% gloves will PM you.
Hasn't been a glove recommendation thread since 2017 so I figured I'd start another one since theres been numerous new brands and models.

First gloves I used were size L fox digits, which I loved, so comfortable but atop my clumsy hands disentergrated quickly.
Currently using a size L FOX Defend glove which I don't like that much. I find that the plam bunches up a lot and causes blisters.
I tried a pair of my mates size M FOX Legion moto gloves and thought they fit good.
I bought a size M 100% 3d Cognito glove thinking maybe I was a size M all along? they don't fit (these are free to anyone in willing to pay the postage or pick up in melb just pm).

What gloves do you guys use and recommend?

Dangals

Likes Dirt
This is good timing considering I lost one of mine on the weekend and am now on the look for new gloves - will be watching this with great interest

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
After I had some Fox ones wear out really fast, I've gone to Dakine Coverts - pretty happy with them.

Scott_W

Likes Bikes
I've been wearing Mechanix gloves for years for both BMX and MTBing. I bought a few sets when Masters went out of business. They are a little hot in summer, but offer very good protection against gravel rash in a crash (I've tested this).
My kids both have fist gloves, which are super light and thin, but not so durable. I have a bunch of old fox gloves they have grown out of that are still usable.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The 100% Cognito D3O pair I had fell apart very quickly and only lasted a month or so. Ended up losing one of the pair down at Maydena somewhere but wasn't overly annoyed if i'm honest. I also found they fit very tightly for a size large, almost to the point they didn't fit. On the other end of the scale, the size large Handups I have fit very loosely & had seams inside the glove that rubbed on the end of fingers & got annoying.

Currently the gloves i'm using and are the happiest with so far are Fox Defend D3O (stitching pulled after only week or two in the seam behind the thumb, but hasn't pulled any further), and Fox Flexair gloves for hot or longer days.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Fox Dirtpaws - Pretty basic glove with outer hand and finger protection. Medium thickness and was good for all conditions. Medium longevity

Endura Humvee - Solid glove. A lot of protection. Very warm. Didn't use this much as it was too hot and felt too thick.

Sombrio Cartel - My current go to. Basic glove. Very breathable. Good palm protection from slides. Cushion on lower outer corner of palm and glove goes a bit more over wrist than most with bigger strap which I really like. Medium durability. Had them for 2ish years and minor stitching jobs from damage due to crashes. Very hard to source as CRC doesn't sell Sombrio anymore and they don't ship to Aus :(

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've amassed a huge stockpile of cheap TLD gloves from MTB Direct, mainly Sprint and XC models.

Both types hold up quite well but I prefer the XC gloves as they are built a bit tougher. The fake suede on the thumb is also better for wiping off sweat/snot/blood.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Big into the 100% ridefit gloves. Very minimal and they fit alot better than the TLD ace and other minimal offerings. Durability is a bit meh but gloves are consumables IMO.

Petero

Likes Dirt
I usually reach for my 661 Evo gloves, D30 knuckle protection and the palm has stood up to many occasions of being dragged across the trail. Also not that warm. Palm feels comfortable on the grips. XXL fits my hands fine.

If it's cooler I sometimes use TLD Moto GP gloves, has finger protection and the version I got also had back of hand/knuckle protection. Quite a bit thicker and get a bit warmer but have held up great. Marginally tight in XL for me (finger length).

TLD Air - haven't used much but a lot lighter than any others I've used so skeptical of how long they'll last. XXL was a size too big and loose in palm (based it on previous moto glove purchase).

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a pair of Oakley gloves with some knuckle protection that I really liked. Managed to destroy them after one too many crashes and apparently they don't make them any more :(

replaced them with some Dakine Skylark Gel which I really liked and seemed to stand up well to my crappy riding. I did manage to poke a hole through each thumb but I'm not sure whether that's because of design or just me being crap.

Currently using a pair of TLD Air - they're super comfortable and lightweight, but like Petero says, I'm not sure how well they'd survive a crash. I haven't had a chance to OTB with them yet as I only got them about 3 rides before lockdown. They have been very comfortable while out on the road bike during colder mornings though

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Oneal Mayhem.
Palm is a single layer synthetic leather that is really nice, hugs your hand nice and doesn't get stretched out and start to bunch up, which is my pet hate as gloves start to get old. I have two pairs of Fox and some One Industries that still look great, but are stretched out and the leather rolls up in my palm when riding, i hate that

Had a slide in a pair of Mayhem's and got all little gravel bruises on palm but no rips or damage to the leather.
Have ripped the backside material a few times, and the stitching has come loose and needed repair, but happens later in life than is usual, and all the rips were well earned, they only really protect your palm from slides, as the back fabric is lightweight.

The great thing is that they ride as good on the last day as the first, only retired from holes or stitching failing as they get old.
I reckon I'm averaging just over 100 rides per pair, currently just started my fourth pair.

Been thinking of trying some other Oneals, to find a more protective model that use the same palm leather

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm using Fox Sidewinder which seem to be no longer available, but look exactly the same as the Defend? Maybe just a name change.

Very light and comfortable in a size L for me, nice and snug. Have never experienced bunching up of the palm as OP has with the Defend.
I've been using them for 1 1/2 years and only on my last ride have I now finally worn through the palm. Never had any issue with stitching or rips in the back of hand material.

If the Defend are now the same thing, will go again.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Gore Bike Wear. They last that long, the only gripe is that they start to fade after ~3years.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Most recent pair i bought are a Dharco Stealth's. Good fit, nice, thin single layer gloves... and an Aussie company.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I've amassed a huge stockpile of cheap TLD gloves from MTB Direct, mainly Sprint and XC models.

Both types hold up quite well but I prefer the XC gloves as they are built a bit tougher. The fake suede on the thumb is also better for wiping off sweat/snot/blood.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Agree. TLD Sprint nice and light, and if you have tiny or huge hands can get them from MTB Direct for under $20.

Probably will only survive 1-2 crashes though.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Ok...my experiences tell me
  • fox are sized small.
  • 661 are a small make as well.
  • TLD are well sized.
  • unit are accurately sized

I have a few sets of JT Racing gloves and love them. Great fit, great look, durable too.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I've had Pearl Izumi Divides for a few years, I like thin minimalist style gloves. The shell stretches after about a thousand kays. The Dharco Men's at MTB Direct are cheaper and look good, probably will go for those next time around, Party pattern of course.