Librem 5 - the anti apple/google phone

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Without the app infrastructure it's basically a phone + camera with some basic web functions (the sandbox of apps sound like a nightmare). Fair enough, I'd buy that. But immediate problems are:
  1. No whatsappweb/facebook messenger which is problematic.
  2. Too big. I can trade functionality but it will need to make up for it in size.
  3. Seems expy.
What’s WhatsAppweb? No it won’t work for the social media users, kinda the point I reckon.

Will be interesting to see how many app developers get on it.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
WhatsAppweb? No it won’t work for the social media users, kinda the point I reckon.
Watsapp is basically internet based sms. instead of the clunky sms/mm you just get it via the watsapp app. Better functionality and does group ocnversations etc better. Sort of like facebook messenger but no need to sign your life away (or so you think).

I'm not heavy on social media but unfortunately te line are blurred and a lot of text and chat happens on social media based apps nowadays like fb messenger.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
We use Whatsapp because Mrs George's family, including my step-daughter, is spread all over the planet. Makes it much easier to organise family stuff, and my father-in-law doesn't have to navigate facebook to use it

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Watsapp is basically internet based sms. instead of the clunky sms/mm you just get it via the watsapp app. Better functionality and does group ocnversations etc better. Sort of like facebook messenger but no need to sign your life away (or so you think).

I'm not heavy on social media but unfortunately te line are blurred and a lot of text and chat happens on social media based apps nowadays like fb messenger.
Whatsapp is owned by facebook so I highly doubt there's any difference in what you're giving away in using it.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Whatsapp is owned by facebook so I highly doubt there's any difference in what you're giving away in using it.
Yep I'm not fooling myself either lol. You have a smartphone and the minimum is google knows, then it's a free for all pillage on your data for the apps that you use. Watsapp is meant to be end to end encrypted, but given that I can easily back up and retrieve kind of suggests otherwise.

MARKL

Eats Squid
It’s not just your phone. We were dealing with a real estate data company at work, well known. They reckon based on your grocery shopping they can predict when you are putting your house up for sale. This was before Apple Pay etc

Calvin27

Eats Squid

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yep I'm not fooling myself either lol. You have a smartphone and the minimum is google knows, then it's a free for all pillage on your data for the apps that you use. Watsapp is meant to be end to end encrypted, but given that I can easily back up and retrieve kind of suggests otherwise.
I think most Over The Top apps like Whatapp, Viber, Line use encryption in some form or another. All of signalling used these days would be plain text readable otherwise. You may have privacy in transit over the interwebs but either end will unencrypt it anyhow and they can't always be doing things in your interest either.

moorey

call me Mia
I’ve never heard of this phone.
I’m not a tech guy at all.
I’m after ease of use and decent capacity.
I’ve used iPhones for over 10 years, and people keep telling me to get a galaxy, but arguments aren’t convincing.
I’ve never got a virus or been hacked.
I’m not concerned if Siri records my questions or my phone tracks where I’ve been.
I’m thinking of a new phone this week but hate no separate headphone jack in the new iPhone.
I love that iTunes automatically downloads new podcast episodes for me and I’m scared of looking losing iTunes if I go android.

The struggle is real.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I’ve never heard of this phone.
I’m not a tech guy at all.
I’m after ease of use and decent capacity.
I’ve used iPhones for over 10 years, and people keep telling me to get a galaxy, but arguments aren’t convincing.
I’ve never got a virus or been hacked.
I’m not concerned if Siri records my questions or my phone tracks where I’ve been.
I’m thinking of a new phone this week but hate no separate headphone jack in the new iPhone.
I love that iTunes automatically downloads new podcast episodes for me and I’m scared of looking losing iTunes if I go android.

The struggle is real.
You’re losing iTunes shortly anyway - new MacOS next month kills it off. I for one will celebrate its demise...

Headphone socket is annoying, and I don’t even use it for music with headphones. My aftermarket headphones with a lightning adapter don’t work for phone calls though...

Otherwise I’m happy on iPhones for similar reasons to you - they work and are mostly reliable and Android feels too much like windows for my tastes...

moorey

call me Mia
You’re losing iTunes shortly anyway - new MacOS next month kills it off. I for one will celebrate its demise...

Headphone socket is annoying, and I don’t even use it for music with headphones. My aftermarket headphones with a lightning adapter don’t work for phone calls though...

Otherwise I’m happy on iPhones for similar reasons to you - they work and are mostly reliable and Android feels too much like windows for my tastes...
TL DR.
Wait...iTunes going?

Edit. Just googled. Only for Mac? I don’t have a Mac, and rarely use even a PC outside work.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting there is itunes on Windows. Just seems wrong...

I have no idea on what they’re doing with the windows version..

moorey

call me Mia
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting there is itunes on Windows. Just seems wrong...

I have no idea on what they’re doing with the windows version..
What I mean is....it will stay on iPhones as an app? Just not on a Mac computers/tablets etc?