Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the responses, guys. Actually found a few pics of broken Light bicycle carbon rims which I won't post here 'cos I don't want to be a buzzkill. Anyway, ended up pulling the trigger on a set of the old Mavic 729 faithfuls, couldn't resist at $85 a rim. Keen to give carbon rims a go, but maybe just not yet. Incidentally, if anyone knows of a good wheel builder in Melbourne, preferably eastern suburbs, I'm all ears. Cheers.
You will find plenty of photos of broken 729s aswell!!!!!

Everything breaks when pushed to its limits.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Everything breaks when pushed to its limits.
You want performance, in this case, low rolling weight and stiffness. Then...
321s must weigh a fair bit more. and dent pretty easy really. Strong as a wheel though. Why not 823s?Thousands of people have chosen them over 321s.
Show us the photos of the carbon rims please. We're capable of judging them ourselves. ;-)

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
You want performance, in this case, low rolling weight and stiffness. Then...
321s must weigh a fair bit more. and dent pretty easy really. Strong as a wheel though. Why not 823s?Thousands of people have chosen them over 321s.
Show us the photos of the carbon rims please. We're capable of judging them ourselves. ;-)
Just one for the moment as I'm at work.
EDIT: From a recent thread on Pinkbike. Doesn't say why the rim failed.
p4pb10806157.jpg

Another one from MTBR. Seemingly, the impact would've at least resulted in a dented alu rim. crackedlbrim.jpg

Just to be clear, I do think that carbon rims have a place in DH/AM riding, particularly if you're concerned with overall bike weight. At the moment, I don't have the cash to pony up for the more expensive versions and it would seem that the cheaper versions (e.g. Light Bicycles) still have a few QC and CS issues to iron out. Also, seems like they take a while to get the rim to you. I was curious about carbon rims and weight savings are great, but ultimately I'm after a durable rim that can take a beating, hence ordering the Mavic 729s. Yes, you can find loads of pictures of exploded 729s, but I'd wager that percentage wise, the failure rate of carbon rims would be higher. That, and you can dent a alu rim and keep riding for months/years whereas similar such damage would probably mean an immediate and costly replacement for carbon rims.

As for the reason for going 729s over 823s: I wanted a wider rim for a better tyre profile and the 729 is (marginally?) stronger than the 823.

Last edited:

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
early version

Do you know if that's an early version rim ? from what I could gather there were problems with early production rims, and they've improved the layup (arrangement of the carbon cloth) and added a layer of double bias where the nipples bear against the inside of the rim.

I'm getting very interested in building a set of the 29" XC rims...

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rock landing.

unnamed.jpgThis is from landing sideways and turning through a rock garden where the rock came in direct contact with rim and no tyre. Pretty sure a alloy rim would have folded over and cracked when you tried to straighten it. They have warrantied it. I rode out the rest of the trail and back to my car before I noticed it.

Sic

Likes Dirt
Ive seen destroyed ENVE rims too, like people have said you can break anything if you try hard enough or are hack enough.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The only thing that appears a bit crap with the LB rims is that a number of people have had bulges at the nipple holes. This is not the sort of thing you want to see when building a wheel up. There is a thread on mtbr about this. This is clearly a quality control issue at LB.

Smashing a rim into a rock and having it break is something completely different. Its amazing that LB are prepared to warranty something like that.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The only thing that appears a bit crap with the LB rims is that a number of people have had bulges at the nipple holes.
Like this:
bulge 1.JPG

Not a LB but another Chinese mob.

Happened from 100km-ish of riding rather than when built.

Was warrantied at no cost for a "stronger at the rim hole" special built rim. No problems in the subsequent 600km on these wheels.

Quintin

Eats Squid
presently i am in the midst of dealing with LB for a 29er frame.

literally zero communication for 2 months after i paid even after 3 or 4 emails - its absolutely shit.

so in my experience the customer service sucks

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
presently i am in the midst of dealing with LB for a 29er frame.

literally zero communication for 2 months after i paid even after 3 or 4 emails - its absolutely shit.

so in my experience the customer service sucks
Totally agree, LB have the worst customer service ever!!

I am really happy with there wheels but I would never buy off them again!!!!

There are plenty of other company's offering carbon wheels. I will be trying someone else next time!!!

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Totally agree, LB have the worst customer service ever!!

I am really happy with there wheels but I would never buy off them again!!!!

There are plenty of other company's offering carbon wheels. I will be trying someone else next time!!!
It seems that this is as a result of their own success. They should have recognised this and done something about it.... I bought a set of 29er wheels off some mob on ebay and their replies to my (many) emails were within 24 hours. They even emailed me a couple of times after the wheels were sent to make sure I received them and that I was happy with them..

Edit. this is the link to their ebay page.. http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/carbonspeedcycle

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I have to say that even though I haven't got my rims yet, (they haven't even been shipped) but the communication from LB has been frequent and swift. They have replied to all my questions and queries.
Admittedly I'm in no major hurry to get the rims so I'm sure that makes my experience a little easier to bare.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
all my emails have been answered in 24hrs :first:
I think your right tasty , they maybe struggling with the extra demand

houli77

Likes Dirt
I've had great service up until about 3 weeks ago, maybe they are snowed under, they still respond usually within 24hrs but they just haven't sent through requested info without being prompted for it. I am talking about a warranty claim though so sales might be different.

They are replacing a Dh rim I busted which they could have easily disputed so they're still in my good books.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Their customer service over warranty items is better than most big companies that you would expect to warranty their products, as you paid an inflated price in the first place for their "good" name and "good" customer service.

I have had 2 sets of LB 29 wheels, now using Nextie for my fatbike wheels. Not that LB done anything wrong, just the look and timing of their fatbike rims.

splunk

Likes Dirt
I had the LB “u shaped” 45mm road rims made up into a set of tubeless road wheel. Laced up with Sapim Lasers to White Industries and generic front hubset by Coops Hoops (Melb based wheel builder). Stans yellow tape and Hutchison tubeless fusion tyre (track pumped up) finished off the build. Bare wheelset weight was 1403 grams and cost me just over $900.

Credit to LB, overall, they came in under weight and dealt with a warranty issue without any drama - The rim bed was uneven so I let them know. They told me to send the rim back (local shipping) for analysis. I did have to wait for them to make a new one, but they did and sent it back without any problems.

Jace from Coops Hoops mentioned that he has done a number of Chinese rim wheel builds and LB are one of the best manufacturers/distributors in terms of rim quality in his opinion.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just ordered a set of their rims. What's the typical wait time for them? (I know it will be long)

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I have a Gloss Black 650b x 35mm 12k weave, if anyone want's it. About $235 posted I'm guessing.