Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

wombat

Lives in a hole
Mounted the front tyre thus evening, magic mary on the 35mm am rim, and it was a piece of cake. Went on by hand with no major effort, and seated with the cheaply floor pump, which I didn't really expect. No sealant in there but It seems to be holding fine, so I'll just pop it off later to add some.
Maybe the Mary is easier than the others people have struggled with, but I'll see how the razor goes on the rear later.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a set of all mountain 27.5 LB wheels forsale. 142x12, XD driver and 15mm front. Hope ProII hubs all 10 months old if anyone is interested.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Mounted the front tyre thus evening, magic mary on the 35mm am rim, and it was a piece of cake. Went on by hand with no major effort, and seated with the cheaply floor pump, which I didn't really expect. No sealant in there but It seems to be holding fine, so I'll just pop it off later to add some.
Maybe the Mary is easier than the others people have struggled with, but I'll see how the razor goes on the rear later.
I’d be interested to hear what you think of the MM on a wide rim. A lot talk around the MTB forums / review sites that the naturally squarer profile of the MM doesn’t work too well with a wider rim which squares it off even more.

As always it’s the internet so who knows if the information is correct and what width rim constitutes too wide for squarer profile tyres.

teK--

Eats Squid
I’d be interested to hear what you think of the MM on a wide rim. A lot talk around the MTB forums / review sites that the naturally squarer profile of the MM doesn’t work too well with a wider rim which squares it off even more.

As always it’s the internet so who knows if the information is correct and what width rim constitutes too wide for squarer profile tyres.
Used MM on original 21mm rims and now 30mm it grips really well but needs to be leaned in harder.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I have a set of all mountain 27.5 LB wheels forsale. 142x12, XD driver and 15mm front. Hope ProII hubs all 10 months old if anyone is interested.
Dude, if you want to sell something, please start a for sale thread.

No big deal but this really isn't the place for selling kit.

wombat

Lives in a hole

The MaMa came stock with the bike, paired with a Dampf rear. I initially planned on moving the Dampf to the front, razor on the back, and ditch the Mary, but it turned out the Dampf was 2.25, and I'd prefer to run a 2.35, so I'll give the Mary a go first, hopefully it's not too much tyre for me.

Oh, and I just popped one side off to add sealant, no levers and no struggle to remove it or refit, and it seated even more easily with the other side already locked in. Finished stickering the rear, so I'll give the Razor a go now.

Edit: Razor just as easy to fit/remove. Dunno what all the fuss from others was about.

Last edited:

ando260

Cannon Fodder
Has anyone tried the nextie rims?
40mm wide....
Finally got around to building up my Nextie 40mm's with King hubs and Sapim CX Ray's.

There are a few little things (quality wise) that would make me say they are not quite perfect, but nothing that I'm overly concerned about.

For now, I plan on just riding and if any major issues arise I'll report back here.

Attachments

crim 87

Likes Dirt
Finally got around to building up my Nextie 40mm's with King hubs and Sapim CX Ray's.

There are a few little things (quality wise) that would make me say they are not quite perfect, but nothing that I'm overly concerned about.

For now, I plan on just riding and if any major issues arise I'll report back here.

wow 40mm that's wide looks like a 4wd

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Got mine mounted and aired up couple of weeks ago, though I had posted but obviously not!

LB AM 33mm 26" Rims, built up onto DT Swiss 240s I had from a previous wheelset Built a while ago, but finally got the last pieces (tyres) exactly as I wanted.

Attachments

ChopSticks

Banned
help please :)

BOYS!!!! Need some help!

Just bought a park truing stand as it popped up cheap, and figured wheel building will be the next thing to learn!

I don't have any spoke wrenches (only the big shitty circular one that comes with cheap tool kits) and wanted to know if anyone can help me confirm what size or better still... what colour Park spoke wrench fits onto the LB alloy nipples (Pillar nipples?)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/park-tool-spoke-wrench-sw/rp-prod17510

and if possible, can anyone also confirm the nipple size used on those hope hoops off wiggle/crc too please :)

dont want to buy all 4 just yet... and want to buy what I need for now !

Last edited:

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Hi Mate,
I'd say you'll need the black wrench from Park Tool. It's what I used to build mine up. Granted, they were DT Swiss, but if you've got he same gauge spokes I'm [retty sure it would work.

As you're in Sydney though, feel free to borrow all of my wrenches (I have 3 different ones from Park Tool) to 100% confirm what one you need. I'll take them to work tomorrow (Roseville) if you want to grab them? Or we can figure out another time for you to check.

Or you can also borrow my Park Tool Tri-Wrench (always packed in my Camelbak) which should tell you what you need.

Let me know!

/edit: All of my Hope Hoops Sets (1x Crest set, 1x Flow set, 1x Flow EX set) have all used 12mm nipples and the black wrench has worked for them all so far.

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
Heyyy

thanks for the help!
i ended up chatting to good oil' Nancy (they work later now?)
and she confirmed nipples use a 3.23 (black park) key

i'm going to order a 4 sided one given the softer alloy nipples!

cheers for the kind offer and help !!!

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heyyy

thanks for the help!
i ended up chatting to good oil' Nancy (they work later now?)
and she confirmed nipples use a 3.23 (black park) key

i'm going to order a 4 sided one given the softer alloy nipples!

cheers for the kind offer and help !!!
Unior do nice 3 sided wrenches ;)

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Wheelbuilding job #1: replace all the Al nipples with brass. hahaha. I will never use Al nipples on my wheels. It's really not the place to cut weight if you want a long lasting wheel.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Ill speak to Al
and sort something out!

Didnt have a choice...... Alloy nipples were the only option with lb wheels at the time
Get a four sided spoke tool for aluminum nipples, make small adjustments and use lube or something on spokes.
and be prepared to need to change some nipples.
I use ally nipples, have for years, they do take more work but not much on the grand scheme.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Wheelbuilding job #1: replace all the Al nipples with brass. hahaha. I will never use Al nipples on my wheels. It's really not the place to cut weight if you want a long lasting wheel.
Most definitely! Even more so with carbon rims if you actually want to have any nipples on your spokes....