Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

teK--

Eats Squid
Getting wheels rebuilt with brass nipples tomorrow.

Here is a pic of how the nipples look on the wheels which arrived in October.

20150309_185710.jpg

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
cracked??

so was out riding today and noticed this on my front rim, wheel is on my commuter and the crack? seems to just be in the inside of the rim not on the outer/tyre edge, feels almost like its a bit creased, wheel runs true as ever tho? only about 7months old
do i just contact light bicycle? or didnt someone have an aussie warehouse or something to take them too?

Attachments

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Looks very much like the damage on RC helicopter blades after an impact. If the blade gets bent/kinked and pops back, the surface looks like this. Can't see how that could happen to a rim though.

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just did a warranty claim on one of mine. It's the first in 10 rims to have an issue. Outer ply delaminated. I just used their live chat, emailed some photos and had one in my hands in 2.5 weeks. Only thing is you pay postage. That was about $20.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I just did a warranty claim on one of mine. It's the first in 10 rims to have an issue. Outer ply delaminated. I just used their live chat, emailed some photos and had one in my hands in 2.5 weeks. Only thing is you pay postage. That was about $20.
Looks like you cased the crap out of it to cause that (not that you would want to admit that on a public forum). LB are excellent with warranty, I particularly like how they don't ask questions about how any issues were caused - they just send out replacements asap.

teK--

Eats Squid
What were the circumstances of the wheel breaking? Only paying 20 for postage sounds good but need to still factor in cost of rebuild and possibly spokes and nipples

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was a small case, on a jump. But nothing in ordinary. The finish on the side of the rim peeled almost instantly. I think a rock could have hit it soon after to make it worse.

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh, that's worse than the case damage. I rode DH and jumps on it for 3 hours after so probably made it worse. Held up and tubeless just fine

ToranaJudd

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rebuild cost is free when you grab a 6 pack and this:

Here is a pic of the rim before I have it more abuse, it actually just went POP when I was riding down some flowy track around a berm into a jump. Quite weird...

teK--

Eats Squid
Sweet setup and skills!

Re-looking at your first picture there seems to be a big chip or chunk missing out of the bead area I imagine that's where the first impact may have been. Tyre pressure too low?

Five Miles Out

Likes Dirt
Any suggestions for width to go for? They will be going on a 130mm/150mm GT Sensor to be ridden on trails, enduro racing and the odd light DH run.

Hopefully sub 1600g for total wheelset, and either 35mm external or 30mm external.

D_Nine

G'day, I went with 38mm external.I've fitted them to a Gt Force carbon 150/160 .They do look big ! And are a little heavier. However they have a bit more thickness in the bead wall area and due to the higher profile you can use shorter spokes. This makes for a much stronger build. Went with clear gloss ( easier to keep clean ) and no decals . Will try to remember to post some pics up this evening. Have had Enve as well and have seen both them and LB fail.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
New 30mm hookless Nextie's to replace the ENVE wheels I had on this bike. This is now my 6th set of Nextie rims, I have also had 2 sets of LB rims, the Nexties are in a different league IMO. Currently still own 2 sets on my fat bikes, a set of tubeless 50mm for my CX and now these.

ozzybmx

Still got a set of LB on my ONE9, The LB's are nice rims but the finish and sometime carbon "slag" was a reminder that they were not $2000 ENVE rims, might only have been a case of being missed during QC if it exists... when I went to Nextie rims, the quality of finish was completely different. The smooth finish and solid feel was easily as good as my ENVE rims... thought there is some reports of people getting Nexties with some carbon pieces rattling around inside the "void". I have never had that issue and can only speak of my on personal experience.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Just a bit of info for the thread, the owner of Nextie Bike was one of the original owners of LightBicycle... he then split and went out on his own.