Light Bicycle Carbon Rims/Wheels (Review Included on 1st Post))

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fibreglass repair kits from bunnings work well, I fixed one of mine while waiting for the warranty replacement.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I don't have any better pics as I have put some nail polish on it already.
It did look like there were one or two fibers that had split
It is significant in that it has entered the construction layer, ie not superficial.

Now that you have put nail polish on (next time only epoxy glue on gouges that enter the underlying fibre layer), there is not much can be done now.

It will present a stress point on the rim construction but whether it becomes an issue will depend on how how much pressure its put under. Many carbon components tend to be overbuilt so there may be enough strength left.

Personally I'd replace.

Last edited:

higiff

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the reply and heads up. Epoxy from now on, see if I can replace it once the polish wears off.
I've contacted LB to see what they say regarding damage and or replacement if necessary

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Honestly, I don't think is that bigger of a deal. I have about 4 similar gouges and have kept on eye on them. They haven't gotten any worse and its been 6 months now. I've even cracked a spoke eyelet on the rear. Im running the DH version on my All Mountain bike. If your concerned about that kind of damage to a DH rim, then maybe carbon might not have been the best choice for you, as that will most likely be the first of many. Unless your planning on changing builds often.

higiff

Likes Dirt
Honestly, I don't think is that bigger of a deal. I have about 4 similar gouges and have kept on eye on them. They haven't gotten any worse and its been 6 months now. I've even cracked a spoke eyelet on the rear. Im running the DH version on my All Mountain bike. If your concerned about that kind of damage to a DH rim, then maybe carbon might not have been the best choice for you, as that will most likely be the first of many. Unless your planning on changing builds often.
Im still running it now, As far as concern, its my first carbon rim so was unsure as I've heard the horror stories, I'm just gonna keep an eye on it

ekwok

Likes Bikes
Once the fibre breaks, even if you fill it with epoxy the stress concentrator is still there as there is a localised variation in strength (you also lose stiffness as the fibres are now discontinuous). That being said, if they were designed (fibre architecture) correctly then some damage tolerance will have been designed in.

Looking at the images, I wouldn't think that it will cause a problem given the damage looks like it barely went to a single ply. Also remembering that fibre misalignment and porosity due to manufacturing variations will probably have more of an effect than the noted damage. It always pays to keep an eye on things though.

Last edited:

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Riding cressys at the youyangs today, and smashed my rear wheel into a large exposed root at the top of the track.
Cracked the rim pretty bad, its a LB 30mm 26" rim.
What are LB like with warranties/replacements?

11638018_10155772572950241_1844271262_n.jpg
11638117_10155772611420241_1130080654_n.jpg
11651006_10155772611505241_2132433119_n.jpg

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You can't seriously expect to claim warranty on that. Warranty covers material and manufacturing defects, not rider defects. As for crash replacement policy, your best bet would be to contact them.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
You can't seriously expect to claim warranty on that. Warranty covers material and manufacturing defects, not rider defects. As for crash replacement policy, your best bet would be to contact them.
Bwahahah! Rider defect! ;)

Actually, I'd have a go at too low a pressure. Sputnik might be a victim of the popular myth that the wider rim magically enables 5psi less - result is the less than happy cracked rim from just a root ;(

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
If its the set of roots between the trees of roughly the third straight, those roots should not destroy a rim ever. flat entry and exit, nothing weird would be happening with the suspension - presuming it is those roots, as they are the most exposed.

If you don't have the lightest layup, I'd be arguing for warranty replacement as well, should not have broken there, suggests to me the rims aren't up to the standard they should be.

Mate broke his front LB rim, on quite a sedate section of track, no warranty, crash replacement was 20 less than retail, he's not exactly telling people to rush out and buy them.

Running my wide rims at <20 PSI at 105 kg, no dings, burps or anything, wide is awesome :)

madstace

Likes Dirt
Riding cressys at the youyangs today, and smashed my rear wheel into a large exposed root at the top of the track.
Cracked the rim pretty bad, its a LB 30mm 26" rim.
What are LB like with warranties/replacements?
Given the 30mm rims had the bead hook, regardless of whether you can swing a crash replacement, you can at least upgrade to the hookless version. Mine are still going strong after 9 months and by most accounts on MTBR, most others' hookless rims are holding up well compared to the bead hook rims.

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Might as well try, not holding my breath though.

Bwahahah! Rider defect! ;)

Actually, I'd have a go at too low a pressure. Sputnik might be a victim of the popular myth that the wider rim magically enables 5psi less - result is the less than happy cracked rim from just a root ;(
Was running 25psi, nothing super low but Im 70kg's on a bad day, less on a good day.

If its the set of roots between the trees of roughly the third straight, those roots should not destroy a rim ever. flat entry and exit, nothing weird would be happening with the suspension - presuming it is those roots, as they are the most exposed.

If you don't have the lightest layup, I'd be arguing for warranty replacement as well, should not have broken there, suggests to me the rims aren't up to the standard they should be.

Mate broke his front LB rim, on quite a sedate section of track, no warranty, crash replacement was 20 less than retail, he's not exactly telling people to rush out and buy them.

Running my wide rims at <20 PSI at 105 kg, no dings, burps or anything, wide is awesome :)
Bingo, those fuckers between the trees.
Was surprised, but oh well, Ill go stronger with the replacement.

I cracked my rear 35mm Light Bicycle rim on Cressy also. I took some strategically angled pictures and sent them off with a very kiss arse email (tyres pumped up, elderly rider blah blah).
Warrenty approved!
Will cost you about $40 postage.
I've now gone back to alloy (Easton Arc 30), the're not as stiff as the carbon but I'm a bit limp on the trails anyway.
Good luck.
Chris

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Seem to be a lot breaking, is everyone going the lightest layups or are the DH version dying as well?

Popularity must have a lot to do with it, there is a lot out there.

Zelvy, lifetime crash replacement, suddenly double the price is really quite reasonable.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seem to be a lot breaking, is everyone going the lightest layups or are the DH version dying as well?

Popularity must have a lot to do with it, there is a lot out there.

Zelvy, lifetime crash replacement, suddenly double the price is really quite reasonable.
Also consider those who have no problems are less likely to post up saying that everything is fine.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Bingo, those fuckers between the trees.
Was surprised, but oh well, Ill go stronger with the replacement.
Wow, can't believe those roots did that. Did you plow them or pop over a couple and land awkward on some or something?

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What tension is that built to? Looks like it's pulling apart fom overtensioning.
Not too sure, They were built by FTR, the spokes were not hugely tight. I think I know what happened. I jumped into a rockgarden and the rim sort of smacked between two rocks, which caused my tubless to explode. So I reckon Ive twisted the rim on impact, would have destroyed a alloy rim no sweat. The whole rim has ovalized too.