light weight dual suspension.

lubi

Squid
hey guys.

I am new to riding downhill/free ride and wanted to know whats a good light weight dual suspension bike to start with, plus i am only 15 so it needs to be affordable. My price range would be between $1100 to $1500 at most. :)

thanks for the help.

Last edited:

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Old saying I'm going drag up:

Cheap, Strong, Light. Pick 2.

Unfortunately those really are your options. A big old heavy glory thats stronger than a nordic strongman named Magnus ver Magnuson or something shiny new light and expensive.

Value for money, an 08/09 glory would be the way to go but they are heavy. If you look for an oldschool all mountain bike you might be right aswell, but they're probably not as much fun for bombing down trails.

What is your definition of light?

macca21

Likes Dirt
if you're only 15 maybe look at a giant reign?... light by dh standards and should be quite capable. worth a look.

lubi

Squid
thanks guys

Well my definition of light is something i can have good control over(eg.jumps, going fast downhill over bumps/rocks without losing it.)and to be able to get back up the hill, without being fatigued. Some of the bikes i have been having a look at are the transition bottle rocket and the giant reign.

driftking

Wheel size expert
08-09 glorys been heavy compared to other dh bikes is true but they still come in just under 20kg i think which isnt too bad at all, They are well over built too so tend to stand up to alot of abuse which is a good thing when starting.
If you can give us a price range it would greatly help in not only types of bikes. But also how you should buy (2nd hand or new)
There are benefits in buying both and your budget can have a significant effect on this choice.

As others have said The giant freeride reign tends to be a big standout for light trail/dh capable bikes, however for this price you could get a glory so this decision will come down to what riding you do and how often. When you say go back up the hill and not be fatigued, do you mean ride it back up or pushing it up? you wouldnt ride a DH bike back up a hill but the reign would be much more capable. As for control you shouldnt have any issues with controling a 20kg bike, you will find a heavier bike (within your strength) will be more stable over the rough stuff. There are still clear benefits of going lighter, personally I have found going sub 17kg for me feels too light.
If going down the reign route I would look at a 36 talas for the forks which give you 6.3/4.7 inch travel options. You want something adjustable when you decide to ride up hills.

Get up a price range in the thread and see if you can get some more detailed help.

Last edited:

lubi

Squid
yeah thanks

It does seem like the Glory is the way to go, especially 2010 model. I put the price up on the thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D975RZ4fm5M
heres a quit vid into what style i like to ride.

08-09 glorys been heavy compared to other dh bikes is true but they still come in just under 20kg i think which isnt too bad at all, They are well over built too so tend to stand up to alot of abuse which is a good thing when starting.
If you can give us a price range it would greatly help in not only types of bikes. But also how you should buy (2nd hand or new)
There are benefits in buying both and your budget can have a significant effect on this choice.

As others have said The giant freeride reign tends to be a big standout for light trail/dh capable bikes, however for this price you could get a glory so this decision will come down to what riding you do and how often. When you say go back up the hill and not be fatigued, do you mean ride it back up or pushing it up? you wouldnt ride a DH bike back up a hill but the reign would be much more capable. As for control you shouldnt have any issues with controling a 20kg bike, you will find a heavier bike (within your strength) will be more stable over the rough stuff. There are still clear benefits of going lighter, personally I have found going sub 17kg for me feels too light.
If going down the reign route I would look at a 36 talas for the forks which give you 6.3/4.7 inch travel options. You want something adjustable when you decide to ride up hills.

Get up a price range in the thread and see if you can get some more detailed help.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2009 Ironhorse Sunday, there are cheap ones in the for sale section and would be a perfect bike for you!