Lighter Trail/AM-ish bikes for tall blokes: Reach and TT comparisons

hilo

Likes Bikes
Hi All

I'm 6'7"ish, been riding a Gary Fisher Hi Fi Pro 29er (23" frame) since 2010 amongst other bikes. I am trying to get a gauge on what will fit me best. The Hi Fi is a dual suspension bike with 100mm front and rear, and it has been really great.

Most of my riding is You Yangs, Buxton, Smiths Gully, Plenty Gorge, Forrest. So I realise I don't need 160mm, but rather think sticking to a 29er and just a bit more travel would help me out in getting better at the rougher stuff (and just to update my bike anyway, still on old QR on the front, 9 speed cassette, etc).

As a weight-loss/exercise reward to myself, when I reach my weight goal (still a way to go but 7kg down), I am thinking of getting a new bike.

My initial idea is get it as big as possible from a reputable manufacturer with good reviews. I've chosen the bikes as I think these would suit my riding which often ends up having quite a bit of climbing, but a bit more travel than my Hi Fi.

I've created a little table for comparison at their largest size. The Trek is in there as the Aluminum frame is quite large (I would probably upgrade components over time); Canyon is also Aluminium. I couldn't give a rats whether it is running a 1x or 2x setup tbh--the Canyon actually looks quite compelling for the spec and price. Weight-wise, well at my size, I am more interested in durability. I could not care at all about a 1kg difference between these bikes.

I've put Top Tube Length - Reach just a comparison of how much space behind the BB I will be able to play with (more is probably better for me re: my knees.

Other info: I am at best an intermediate rider as I got into MTB late (I am 46) but I am keen to get better at technical riding/rock gardens without doing DH.

So, a few questions:

1. Is my approach logical?

2. Do these seem like reasonable choices? At this point I am torn up between the Canyon, Fuel and the Tallboy based on size, and price-wise the Canyon seems really great. I'd really like the Yeti but the other bikes seem bigger, and the Yeti is also very expensive $$$$.

. . .. and any other thoughts and suggestions.

EDIT: Wasn't sure whether this should go into the XC section but . . . looking at something in between AM and XC...

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
I know you didn’t ask for more suggestions but one more to throw in the mix only because you are super tall is the Guerrilla Gravity Trail pistol.
They make true size xl and even xxl bikes with suitable stack heights etc.
Maybe worth checking out.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
What jpez said! Guerrilla gravity make some very cool stuff, and who doesn’t love raw alluminium.

or look at a transition cause I cant not talk about them in any “what should I buy?” thread.

Mid travel bikes are sooooo much fun, I think you’d enjoy all the bikes you posted. And luckily for us tall blokes bikes are getting longer every year! The days of a seat tube growing 2inches but only getting half an inch longer toptube are over.

hilo

Likes Bikes
Another one to check out would be the Kona Process 134. Bigger in the xl size than all the ones you listed above, and of it rides like the 153, it'll be nice!

http://www.konaworld.com/process_134_se.cfm

Edit - But it's not a 29er....
Most people when they look at me say 29er only . . . However . . . I am not closed-minded. Is there any advantage/disadvantage for tall folks re: 29 vs 27.5 all else being equal re: frame size/geometry.

clockworked

Like an orange
Most people when they look at me say 29er only . . . However . . . I am not closed-minded. Is there any advantage/disadvantage for tall folks re: 29 vs 27.5 all else being equal re: frame size/geometry.
I think the most common answer is that with your added height you don't suffer as much from the downsides of a 29er as a shorter person would

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Another thing to consider is the (effective) seat tube angle, you're going to have a lot of seat pole showing, you will want / need a steep STA to get a good climbing position. Its another factor that will help reduce your choices.

Another bike may be the Transition sentinel in XL, reach 500mm, STA 75.8, seat tube length 490mm.

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Sentinel.cfm

hilo

Likes Bikes
Another thing to consider is the (effective) seat tube angle, you're going to have a lot of seat pole showing, you will want / need a steep STA to get a good climbing position. Its another factor that will help reduce your choices.

Another bike may be the Transition sentinel in XL, reach 500mm, STA 75.8, seat tube length 490mm.

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Sentinel.cfm
Cool--wasn't aware of Transition Bikes. Probably need something a bit more climbing capable though (having read some reviews). Looks like their bikes are great on rougher trails but not great climbers? (I realise that this makes design sense, of course)

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
My scout climbs pretty well, but not compared to other 125mm bikes I suppose, although that could be because I have a pretty burly build with chunky tyres. But alot better than the reign I owned. Transition deffinately build their bikes for people more down inclined.

Re: telling tall people and being suited to 29ers, I don’t believe a persons height should dictate at all what wheel size they ride. Frame dimensions play the most important part. If a tall person can throw a 29er around easier than a short person, the same principle applies for the smaller sizes as well. However, you will also get used to how the wheels differ in feel, and it won’t really be noticeable after awhile. The bike will just feel natural. FYI I’m 6”4 and ride bmx, 26” dirt jumper, 27.5 trail bike. I’ve tried 29” wheels but I prefer the smaller wheels cause there stronger and stiffer than 29” counterparts, and the transition scout is about as close to a dirt jumper I can get for trailriding. Pick a wheelsize that should complement your riding style, not height :)

hilo

Likes Bikes
My scout climbs pretty well, but not compared to other 125mm bikes I suppose, although that could be because I have a pretty burly build with chunky tyres. But alot better than the reign I owned. Transition deffinately build their bikes for people more down inclined.

Re: telling tall people and being suited to 29ers, I don’t believe a persons height should dictate at all what wheel size they ride. Frame dimensions play the most important part. If a tall person can throw a 29er around easier than a short person, the same principle applies for the smaller sizes as well. However, you will also get used to how the wheels differ in feel, and it won’t really be noticeable after awhile. The bike will just feel natural. FYI I’m 6”4 and ride bmx, 26” dirt jumper, 27.5 trail bike. I’ve tried 29” wheels but I prefer the smaller wheels cause there stronger and stiffer than 29” counterparts, and the transition scout is about as close to a dirt jumper I can get for trailriding. Pick a wheelsize that should complement your riding style, not height :)
Sure, yeah I get the wheel size thing--I used to ride a rigid MTB with 26" in the early 90s. I *do* like the roll over capability and the fact it looks that much more proportional (but yeah, just a look). Riding style-wise, 29er probably suits me better as there is more climbing/XC stuff I do. Additionally, I already have a bunch of 29er stuff like tyres lying around but that's a real minor consideration.

hilo

Likes Bikes
I'm not completely familiar with Trek's catalogue...does aluminium necessarily mean a lower spec?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
From what I have seen, yeah (lower spec parts). It's still decent, and I am sure probably well good enough for me. I can always upgrade anyway as I go along. I have no problems with an aluminium frame at all. Been riding one for years on my Hi Fi Pro.

Specs are here:

https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/...in-bikes/fuel-ex/fuel-ex-8-29/p/2140690-2018/

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Just to throw another option at you.....

Norco take their sizing & geometry very seriously... they claim to make each size frame grow or shrink to the appropiate body size with more detail than other brands.

If I was looking for a new bike right now the 29er Sight would be very high on my list for reasons I just mentioned (because I,m 6'3" with particularly long arms)

For you, I think the Optic 29er XL might be good? They offer "reach and stack plus" options too...(?)

....and because they are not direct-to-punter, you might be able to do test ride to see how it fits..?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk