Lighter Trail/AM-ish bikes for tall blokes: Reach and TT comparisons

hilo

Likes Bikes
Nice one mate
Gotta love the new bike feeling.

How does it ride on the trails?
(I don't expect an answer for weeks...no time for web forums when there's a new bike in the garage!)

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
I've just spent the long week-end away near Forrest (and hence riding there).

First of all, it's stiff! I had to put my usual grips on (I use the Ergon Biokork GP1) as the stock Ergons are a bit small for my large hands/long fingers. Also had to do some cockpit adjustment. My hands are big so I really have to move any shift/remote levers inwards to give my thumbs some leeway. Anyway, by stiff, I mean 'responsive' but I also mean that I need to fine tune my suspension setup (to be expected). I've been riding it in a mix of fully open and medium (basically the first two options on fork and shock apart from the firmest settings). With respect to it being responsive, I am finding that it handles very directly in comparison to my last ride--I provide an input and it responds. We are about 8 years ahead in technology, so there is a lot contributing to this--15mm Maxle fork, carbon rims, carbon frame.

It also accelerates and climbs very well. Again, I think the technological advances are apparent here. As I'm dropping weight, I am climbing better as well, but compared to riding last week on the old Hi Fi Pro, there is a big difference. Geometry-wise, I haven't had much of an issue on lifting the front wheel when climbing steep and long sections, but I have to test this out at some other locations. It seems to be pretty balanced for me.

I haven't done wheelbase comparisons, but I am finding that I have better low-speed technical cornering--for example, on a tight uphill switchback I seem to have more room to spare. Where I would struggle in Forrest due to my size/size of bike (and, yes, lack of technical ability), I seem to have a bit more leeway and able to keep some momentum going as a result.

So far, so good--I think it's wise to have waited 8 years as things have changed quite a bit. A noticeable difference when lifting it on to the roof rack as well.

Things I love:
  • Colour
  • Weight
  • Responsive
  • Canadian heritage (I am Canadian, and I do have a bit of pride in my old homeland)
  • 1x12 set up--I was suspect, coming from 3x9, and it certainly has a 'cadence impact' but I got used to it fast. Granny gear was only needed and was plenty when I was total toast at the end of the ride and climbing up to Lake Elizabeth for my final descent.
  • Brakes are great--maybe not surprising I am running old Elixir R on the Hi Fi--these weren't bad but the Sram Guide Ultimates are pretty great.

Niggles:
  1. have ordered a proper torque wrench--terrified of over-tightening something on carbon
  2. handlebar is STIFF--might want more rise as well (currently 20mm), I'll see how I go
  3. Reverb Stealth dropper post--probably a poor setup issue from the shop as the 1x remote lever seems to have some air in it (the shop shall remain nameless, sales and support were good, but I would say the mechanic could use a bit of attention to finer detail). I'll be doing a proper bleed this week. Eyeing the Wolf Tooth Dropper ReMote (mechanical) as a replacement, but I'll give the bleed a go first. Shop had also installed the 'bottom clamp' part of the seatpost backwards--that's the bit that has the angle markings on it--easy to do if you're not paying attention. Easy fix.
  4. Pricing of spare 12 speed chains? Oy vey. As I was in a rush, I bought some at an LBS but it's nuts. I always like to have a spare around in the car.
Things I will likely add/change:
  • Probably a light bashguard--I am not racing and I am sure I will bash the single chainring at some point.
  • Some of those cheapo protective boots for the cranks.
  • Possibly the handlebars--I was riding Answer ProTapers on the Hi Fi. No rush on this anyway.
  • Tyres--Maxxis Forekaster is fine so far. I'll see how I go, thought I would consider beefing them up a bit. I noticed a big change in my confidence when I switched the front tyre from Nobby Nic to Hans Dampf. Might consider a front tyre change to a High Roller or some such--though there is a big weight difference.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Good write up

When I change bikes one day Norco will be high on the list for sure.

I'm 6'3" & I just changed my bars from 20mm rise to 38mm.
Immediately felt better.

Which part of Canada are you from?

hilo

Likes Bikes
Good write up

When I change bikes one day Norco will be high on the list for sure.

I'm 6'3" & I just changed my bars from 20mm rise to 38mm.
Immediately felt better.

Which part of Canada are you from?

The stock bars have a small rise--I might consider a slightly larger rise. Might grab some Renthal bars. Rode just after the storm at You Yangs yesterday--bike is going great.

Myself, I am from Toronto.