LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Getting darker now so thread bump.

I have a set of gemini lights (800 and 1100 lumen) and the 2 cell battery pack has lost a fair bit of it's capacity. I can no longer make the 1 hour commute on full power for the 800 lumen unit.

I would have thought these things would have dropped a fair bit in price but alas no dice. Still looking at $100+ for a battery pack. Cheapest I can find is glowworm packs which are apparently the same connector but they are sold out on MTB direct. Found another for $120 plus post, I'm thinking it might be better to just get a new unit all together. My cateye 800 seems to have outlasted both battery packs and still going strong, I could be swayed to just get a 4 cell pack.

Anyone got a suggestion? Happy to gamble aliexpress or otherwise, but my previous attempts have bee abysmal and I have a 6 cell pack that barely lasted an hour new I bought ages ago.
I use these for a couple of hours riding at the You Yangs.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

I have a set of gemini lights (800 and 1100 lumen) and the 2 cell battery pack has lost a fair bit of it's capacity. I can no longer make the 1 hour commute on full power for the 800 lumen unit.

I would have thought these things would have dropped a fair bit in price but alas no dice. Still looking at $100+ for a battery pack. Cheapest I can find is glowworm packs which are apparently the same connector but they are sold out on MTB direct. Found another for $120 plus post, I'm thinking it might be better to just get a new unit all together. My cateye 800 seems to have outlasted both battery packs and still going strong, I could be swayed to just get a 4 cell pack.

Anyone got a suggestion? Happy to gamble aliexpress or otherwise, but my previous attempts have bee abysmal and I have a 6 cell pack that barely lasted an hour new I bought ages ago.
Pull the battery pack apart and replace the cells. You'll probably be paying 15-20 bucks a battery nowadays.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have found Cateye to be awesome quality .
The batteries used to be fantastic still using one 12 years old charged 100s of times but of course it only lasts 1 commute home.
Another repacked NiCad separate pack nearly 20 years old , all connectors are fine with new Cheap LED lights works perfectly.
Recently bought a KNOG headlight 1100 lumens is too bright when riding towards cars and have the clever taillight straight into a USB.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy

Can also get something like this to help build your own pack.
Just buy some good quality 18650 cells to put with it.

Or even just look for hobby batteries in 2s size (7.4v nominal)
Eg. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-compact-5000mah-2s1p-40c.html
But these won’t have protection circuits built in. And connectors are probably different.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

Careful. Gloworms are on to their second generation and use USB-C now. Based on the Gen 1 version I absolutely recommend them, but they cost a fucking bomb compared to when I bought mine.