LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone know of a comparision of the beam put out by a HID light, vs the beam put out by one of the multiple LED lights (such a nightlightning, ay-up, or chervy)?

rex2

Likes Bikes
I had a go of the Princeton Tec Switchback series at the polaris and I was very impressed. 2 hours to charge with all the extras included! They are worth a serious look.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know of a comparision of the beam put out by a HID light, vs the beam put out by one of the multiple LED lights (such a nightlightning, ay-up, or chervy)?
Did you read the/my first post in this thread? mtbr.com forums (Lights Shine-Off Review) which is continually being added to, compares the light output of some of the more popular US and European HID, Halogen and LED units on offer. ;)

Although, it would be great if some of the Australian MTB lights could be sent in/over for independent evaluation and comparision to the more popular American/European models. Can't say I've ever been one to buy into the marketing hype posted on some manufacturers websites, which is why independent tests are important - should any Australian MTB lighting websites be reading this! :cool:

ebuk

Likes Dirt
I specifically asked for testimonials, so please cease with the "they look great" type comments/spam guys. :cool:

I bought my Nite Rider HID's cause they have a excellent reputation and they were at a good price 2nd hand. The only complaint I have is they don't switch between beam strength and feel a bit 'heavy' on the helmet. I don't have a handlebar mount.

They look good too which like it or not is a factor in most purchases.

Would I get them again? maybe...with the large choice of lights out there I'd probably look at other companies.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
The only LED units they reviewed were pretty basic, and weren't included in their big shine off.
Yeah, but it's the best/biggest independent review with photos that I have found thus far!

It's unfortunate, but you know that a company selling MTB lights is only going to compare inferrior products to their own, or show photos of lights compared to their product where their batteries are new/fresh compared with a product whose batteries are unlikely to be of same condition. It's just part of marketing so we can only hope more independent tests are run in the future, and/or advice/accounts provided by fellow members.

Incidently, have there been any recent lighting tests run by Aussie magazines in the last few months comparing the above mentioned products that I might have missed? :cool:

Macr

Likes Dirt
This might sound like spam. Niteflux have hooked up with vicious power. No idea on prices and if they have hit the market. So no real world reviews. If you are considering building then candlepower forums, could be of use as well.

jacko69

Likes Dirt
Aussie Magazine HID review

Yeah, but it's the best/biggest independent review with photos that I have found thus far!

It's unfortunate, but you know that a company selling MTB lights is only going to compare inferrior products to their own, or show photos of lights compared to their product where their batteries are new/fresh compared with a product whose batteries are unlikely to be of same condition. It's just part of marketing so we can only hope more independent tests are run in the future, and/or advice/accounts provided by fellow members.

Incidently, have there been any recent lighting tests run by Aussie magazines in the last few months comparing the above mentioned products that I might have missed? :cool:
Yep, AMB tested both HID & Halogen a few issues back. Did out copy form somewhere & have a look. Incidently they tested an earlier version of the Lumen8R HID and found it had the best light - I saw early version as the manufacturer has upgraded the light following the reviews comments. Check it out.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Niteflux have hooked up with vicious power. No idea on prices and if they have hit the market.
I got the info on these today, the run times are crap compared to a lot of other lights. Not good value IMO because of the crap run times. Only 1 of the 4w LED's had a run time more than 2 1/2hrs on full power.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
We had all of these lights present at the Dusk till Dawn 12 hour and at most of our weekly rides.

I can only give you what we see with our own eyes when we use them. The beam is not everything though.

We have Niterider HID, Topeak HID and Trail Tech hid lights in both spot and flood versions. They all easily have the most light, brightest, whatever tech word you want to use.

Next was the Nightlightning Blast led which wasn't too far behind the hids.

The Ay-Upps were next though the ones present I believe were older versions and the ones for sale will be slightly better. They were still a very good setup and have some other advantages too.

The Chervy lights were quite okay but noticeably less beam than those previously mentioned. Another rider had some home made leds much like these and had pretty much the same beam but in a rather unattractive package.

You have to look at the batteries, run time, charge time, chargers, parts, warranty, ease of use, types of mounts available, etc etc to see what suits you best.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Next was the Nightlightning Blast led which wasn't too far behind the hids.

The Ay-Upps were next though the ones present I believe were older versions and the ones for sale will be slightly better. They were still a very good setup and have some other advantages too.
How much of a gap are we talking? I know it's hard to say, but if you had been racing with a HID and swapped to the the ay-up light do you think the drop in light output would be frustrating?

Thanks for your help.

AJ

Squid
Lights

Lee,
Oz $$ below,
Batteries & Charger are from Oz. Stocks in Sydney

Blaast + 2.2ah Li-Ion & smart charger including universal mount, carry case & delivery $485

Digital Blaast add $50.

Can be supplied as a complete package or light only if you existing batteries. We also do standard or custom set-ups at the same pricing. Several options for mounting etc depending on riding type etc.

Cheers

AJ

ebuk

Likes Dirt
I bought my Nite Rider HID's cause they have a excellent reputation and they were at a good price 2nd hand. The only complaint I have is they don't switch between beam strength and feel a bit 'heavy' on the helmet. I don't have a handlebar mount.

They look good too which like it or not is a factor in most purchases.

Would I get them again? maybe...with the large choice of lights out there I'd probably look at other companies.

To add to my earlier babble. I find the HID's almost too bright. The whiteness of the light made it difficult to see depth. I use a HID + Halogen combo to soften it and create shadows.

The good HID lights are probably about 10-15% brighter than the Ayups, but considering the prices, burntime and weight of the system, it is easy to forget the this difference when you are out in the bush 40km from home with 1000m of climbing to get home.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The good HID lights are probably about 10-15% brighter than the Ayups, but considering the prices, burntime and weight of the system, it is easy to forget the this difference when you are out in the bush 40km from home with 1000m of climbing to get home.
Undoubtably. However my main priority is racing, when the furthest you tend to be from transition is about 20km, and at that point you've got a full charged battery :).

That said, I'm happy to sacrifice 10-15% total light output to save 250gr and get a system with both a helmet and bar mount. So if the gap really is that small, I'm sold.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
That said, I'm happy to sacrifice 10-15% total light output to save 250gr and get a system with both a helmet and bar mount. So if the gap really is that small, I'm sold.
10-15% of light is a big difference... seems like a very abritrary measurement (with all due respect to the guy... ) but you're only really going to know if this will make the difference to you if you try it. Worst case is you go a bit slower at night but again that all depends on what your night riding is like :)

The combined weight of the ayup's is not that indifferent to a high end HID, but the (current) price is half, that's pretty compelling. I'm not so sure about the battery-on-helmet arrangement, but the website talks about an extension cable so I'm sure that'd be sorted easily. They look pretty schmick, and sounds like the bang for buck could be there so yeah... having a split system has it's pros and cons too but means you instantly have a 'secondary' ;)

I wouldn't mind getting one as a secondary & backup jobby for the solo nats, but it seems unlikely that one could be made available before then in time to play with etc... Unfortunately, it means I might have to get a different brand, one with known performance etc... or do something else. There does seem to be a bit of buzz around the camp about these little units though.

Cheers
Gonz