LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
10-15% of light is a big difference... seems like a very abritrary measurement (with all due respect to the guy... )
It is very hard to get an accurate idea, which is why I figure I'm just going to have to buy it and find out :). Even if it doesn't end up being bright enough to make me happy I will probably keep the bar mounted part and replace the helmet mount with a HID. Now that will be bright :D.

The combined weight of the ayup's is not that indifferent to a high end HID, but the (current) price is half, that's pretty compelling.
Weight not that different? The ayup weighs 200gr with a 3 hour burn time. The lightest HID I know of is the vicious power, at 400gr with 2.5 hour burn time. As to the price, the $350 quoted doesn't include tax, presumably making it $385 before postage. A HID technologies light (5.5 hour burn time, 500gr total weight) costs $425. So (in my eyes anyway) the only major advantage of the ayup is the weight, with the disadvantages being lower light output and longer charge time (12 hours to charge the three batteries fully, compare that to 3 hours for the HID).

I'm not so sure about the battery-on-helmet arrangement, but the website talks about an extension cable so I'm sure that'd be sorted easily.
I like it. Both battery and head unit are light enough that when you add them together you still have less weight on your helmet than almost every other light on the market (the only one I can think of that is lighter is the Vicious I mentined earlier).

After comparing it side by side like that to the HID techonologies light, I think I've changed my mind on the ay up. If I could get just the bar mounted unit with one small battery and a charger for about half the price I'd go for it (to run in addition to a helmet mounted HID) but given it's short comings and no real price advantage, I think I might have to go to the HID instead.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I
Weight not that different? The ayup weighs 200gr with a 3 hour burn time. The lightest HID I know of is the vicious power, at 400gr with 2.5 hour burn time.
yeah you're quite right... except the website says total system weight ~<300grms vs 400grams for the vicious. and ~150grams vs 80 on the helmet. I might actually give my vicious a quick weigh when I get home and see... Vicious is a high end system, and clearly these kind of are intendid as such (they're not cheap plastic) so given the helmet weight, I do kinda see these as well, comparable. they would make a nice light "secondary" though i think. to that end, the ay-up's are close to half the price of my vicious HID.

The charge times are funny too... the website says one thing, the pdf they have says another... (though worst case is 3hrs I think from memory for the small battery)

After comparing it side by side like that to the HID techonologies light, I think I've changed my mind on the ay up. If I could get just the bar mounted unit with one small battery and a charger for about half the price I'd go for it
As a spare unit I think they'd be pretty good. If your hid goes belly up for whatever reason, you still have the option of bringing out a 2nd light. cheaper than a 2nd hid with probably a bit less light.

Dunno... like I said, if I could get a unit to play with before the nats, I would consider it. I wonder if they'll do the same 30 day back guarantee vicious do...

anyway *shrug*

Cheers
Gonz

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah you're quite right... except the website says total system weight ~<300grms vs 400grams for the vicious. and ~150grams vs 80 on the helmet.
That's if you carry the three batteries for 6 hours runtime. If you ditch the heavy one and run each off a small battery you drop 100gr for a total weight of 200gr. The helmet weight of the ay up should be about 100gr-110gr (60gr battery, 40-50gr for the light).

The charge times are funny too... the website says one thing, the pdf they have says another... (though worst case is 3hrs I think from memory for the small battery)
The website lists the 'worst case' charge time. The PDF lists the normal time from empty. Based on the times in the PDF it would take 12 hours to charge all three batteries (you only get one charger).

Cruz

Likes Dirt
How much of a gap are we talking? I know it's hard to say, but if you had been racing with a HID and swapped to the the ay-up light do you think the drop in light output would be frustrating?

Thanks for your help.
In actual brightness, it is noticable, however in usable brightness for my eyes anyway, (wear glasses and need good lights at night time or run into a lot of things) I found the Blast to be better as the light put out didnt seem to make everything 'white' like a white out from some hid setups. I need to use the 'flood' beam variety too for best effect so this will make a difference to some lights and the riders using them.

I found the Blast put out a very clear light that still gave you the ability to see into holes and washouts etc and they suited my eyes better than my hid's from Trail Tech or Niterider. They have also shown to be 100% dependable and easy to use with a great battery and charger.

Will have to wait a few more weeks to see how the Ay-Upps are presented to the public. The big advantage I see with them is that you have a ready made backup light if one fails, where with the others you have to have another light as well to get you home.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
bit of an update

Ok guys,

I'm slowly narrowing down the field and think I'm almost convinced to go HID considering some of the prices quoted for LED, IMO, do not represent great value when comparing bang for your buck, so to speak.

Two HID units continually appear on eBay(USA) for around US$399. These are the:
1. Niterider Flight HID+LED Li-Ion
2. Light & Motion ARC HID Li-Ion

I really like the Niterider in so far as it has 3 LEDS integrated into the headlight (great for bike reapirs or if you stop for a chat) , but these units have some shocking reviews on the net concerning battery/charging etc. So getting a dud from overseas is a bit of a concern.

The Light & Motion Arc on the other hand, has great reviews, however I can't say that I'm wrapped with the 1 minute warning before loosing all your light (and no resereve) especially if you're out in the backcountry.

If I'm going to spend ~$500 on a light I don't want to be carrying a backup! :rolleyes:

And at around the same price, as Niterider and Light & Motion models (if purchased from the USA), from Australia we have: 3. LUMEN8R 10W. Great light output but the finish really does look a bit rough, and as far as I can tell it's on/off only with no intermediate setting. So ths might be a problem should you need to do repairs in the dark or want to stop and talk to someone without blinding them.

Finally 4. Jet Blast is still selling for US$325, although that's with a NiMH rather than Li-Ion battery as the others have. Has anyone used/have this light and what were your thoughts?

Guess that about it for now, although If only the Vicious Arc were cheaper, well a lot cheaper, I'd snap a set up in a jiffy. Please feel free to add your comments concerning the above three HID units - as I'm sort of at a crossroads at the moment. :cool:

Last edited:

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And at around the same price, as Niterider and Light & Motion models (if purchased from the USA), from Australia we have: 3. LUMEN8R 10W. Great light output but the finish really does look a bit rough, and as far as I can tell it's on/off only with no intermediate setting. So ths might be a problem should you need to do repairs in the dark or want to stop and talk to someone without blinding them.
I guess the finish issue comes to down to personal preference, but it doesn't fuss me. As long as the light works does it really matter what it looks like? It's not like anyone is going to be able to see it :p.

As for no intermediate setting, with a 350gr 5:30 hour li-po battery as standard (490gr total weight), you are very unlikely to run out of light. It's also $440 delivered. Let's compare that to the brand name models you mentioned:

Niterider: 2:45 runtime, 430gr, $575
Light & motion 3:00 runtime, 470gr, $560+

Those prices are factoring in international postage and a conservative currency exchange. I'm also leaning towards HID rather than LED and if I do it'll definately be the HID technologies. I'm hoping I can get a lighter battery as I'm a bit of a weight weenie, there is a 280gr 4:45 battery listed on the site that would make the HID technologies light lighter, cheaper, and longer burning than either of the other two.

Oracle

Likes Dirt
I guess the finish issue comes to down to personal preference, but it doesn't fuss me. As long as the light works does it really matter what it looks like? It's not like anyone is going to be able to see it :p.
haha, yeah good point. But I'd need to show/sell to the missus where/why I want to blow $450 on a light, so a quality finish is somewhat important - and we all like nice things ;)

As for no intermediate setting, with a 350gr 5:30 hour li-po battery as standard (490gr total weight), you are very unlikely to run out of light. It's also $440 delivered. Let's compare that to the brand name models you mentioned:

I'm also leaning towards HID rather than LED and if I do it'll definately be the HID technologies. I'm hoping I can get a lighter battery as I'm a bit of a weight weenie, there is a 280gr 4:45 battery listed on the site that would make the HID technologies light lighter, cheaper, and longer burning than either of the other two.
Yep, whilst your run time comparison is spot on, I think you missed my point being: a low/intermediate mode so that you can fix something/talk to someone minus blinding yourself or others without turning the light off all together.

I'm also leaning towards HID rather than LED and if I do it'll definately be the HID technologies. I'm hoping I can get a lighter battery as I'm a bit of a weight weenie, there is a 280gr 4:45 battery listed on the site that would make the HID technologies light lighter, cheaper, and longer burning than either of the other two.
I agree - these are IMO definitely the best value lights (light output wise) considering they're only $50 more than Ay Up LED's and cheaper than some LED models. If the finish was a little better, I'd definitely be trying to convince the missus these are the lights that I NEED! ;) But I guess that would in turn raise the price of these units.

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, whilst your run time comparison is spot on, I think you missed my point being: a low/intermediate mode so that you can fix something/talk to someone minus blinding yourself or others without turning the light off all together.
I didn't miss it, I just deleted my response because it didn't flow with the post. It's an issue, I guess it doesn't faze me so much because my light usage is generally consists of riding hard without stopping for a lap then turning the light off again. It's certainly an advantage the other lights posses.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
I could not resist the Ay Up lights and i've just ordered a set to go with my new Cateye Tripleshot pros.

Well... thats me sorted for winter and this seasons 24hr crazyness :D

Why Ay Ups over the Brightstars/ other HIDs?? Meh.. local, light weight, COST! and they look so bling sir!! Also, check out that warranty! if you stack and kill them... Ay Up will replace them... sweet.

I've also gone Ninja Black :D If anyone wants to check them out once they ship, I'm at lysterfield 3 evenings / week, so PM me and we can meet up.

Two sets, car charger, long run times.... all for $400!! bargain :D

Great thread, its helped me out heaps. Cheers!

Paul.

Last edited:

Oracle

Likes Dirt
I could not resist the Ay Up lights and i've just ordered a set to go with my new Cateye Tripleshot pros.

...Why Ay Ups over the Brightstars?? Meh.. support Aussie, light weight and they look so bling sir!! Also, check out that warranty! if you stack and kill them... Ay Up will replace them... sweet.

...Great thread, its helped me out heaps. Cheers!
Good to one of us is sorted. ;)

Please post a review for us, once you've had a chance to test them in the woods! :cool:

Cheers, Lee

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,
The company I work for represent one of the brands being discussed (Light & Motion) and I thought here might be a good place to ask, would any of you be interested in Demo ride nights so you could see how the lights worked?
I am well aware lights are expensive items and not exactly impulse buys so I was considering touring the main centers with a stash and going for night rides with groups of interested people (up to about 8 per group), as a way to introduce the brand and as an excuse to get in a heap of fun riding.
If anyone is interested please let me know, and hopefully I can work on sorting something in most major centers for April or early May.
(moderators, if you consider this spam please feel free to delete)
Cheers Ed

Last edited:

Oracle

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,
I represent one of the brands being discussed (Light & Motion) and thought here might be a good place to ask, would any of you be interested in Demo ride nights so you could see how the lights worked?
I am well aware they are expensive items and not exactly impulse buys so I was considering touring the main centers with a stash and going for night rides with groups of interested people (up to about 8 per group).
If anyone is interested please let me know, and hopefully I can work on sorting something in most major centers for April or early May.
(moderators, if you consider this spam please feel free to delete)
Cheers Ed
Hi Ed,

You've definitely hit the nail on the head with your post. Whilst the reviews on this unit are great, it's not easy to slap down a couple of hundred dollars without seeing/trialling said equipment prior to purchase. Also, might be an idea to list/post what price you're selling these for so we don't waste each others time! ;)

Anyhow, If you'd consider (1) coming to Hobart, or (2) shipping a set down for a weekends trial use etc, then please shoot me a pm. I'd be happy to advertise/post on local forums should you consider coming down with some units at some stage! :cool:

Cheers, Lee

the F.H.B

Likes Dirt
Ok Lee pm'd you. i wont put up any prices at this stage because I dont have A price list handy at this time of day;) Also, any prices I give are purely recommended as retailers have the final say.