LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Hi 'burners...

2020 is the year of me getting back into cycle commuting regularly, and I'd like to get a quality front light. The commute is 20km each way, 90% shared or cycle paths with a lot of that unlit and often not near roads.

I have a couple of Light & Motion lights from my 24hr racing days, but they run separate batteries which need to be attached somewhere, so look a bit untidy and require specific chargers. Ideally I'd like to be able to charge at home or work.

So what's a kickass front light with integrated battery, usb charging, good lumens etc..

Ideally I'd like a light where I can easily flick between high and low beams so I don't blind oncoming riders. I've seen that some come with remote switches, not sure how well these work in practice.

No specific budget as yet, so throw ideas at me.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Hi 'burners...

2020 is the year of me getting back into cycle commuting regularly, and I'd like to get a quality front light. The commute is 20km each way, 90% shared or cycle paths with a lot of that unlit and often not near roads.

I have a couple of Light & Motion lights from my 24hr racing days, but they run separate batteries which need to be attached somewhere, so look a bit untidy and require specific chargers. Ideally I'd like to be able to charge at home or work.

So what's a kickass front light with integrated battery, usb charging, good lumens etc..

Ideally I'd like a light where I can easily flick between high and low beams so I don't blind oncoming riders. I've seen that some come with remote switches, not sure how well these work in practice.
What is your riding time then?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Hi 'burners...

Look at the exposure range of lights if looking for an integrated light.
Pushys currently has 15% off, so something like the diablo is $356.00 for 1850 lumens.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Pushys currently has 15% off, so something like the diablo is $356.00 for 1850 lumens.
Thanks, I'll have a look. Do you know how easy it is to flick between modes while riding?

I have a few weeks to make up my mind as it's still light when I ride home at the mo.

EDIT - had a look, it comes with a remote and two charging options. A contender.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Thanks, I'll have a look. Do you know how easy it is to flick between modes while riding?

I have a few weeks to make up my mind as it's still light when I ride home at the mo.
There is a small button on the rear of the light. For the older models it's rubber, but the newer versions it's stainless steel.
Also if using as helmet-mounted, they have a tap function to change modes.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Light and Motion were expensive, but that paid off with the lifetime warranty replacing one years after purchase. Don't think they do that warranty now.

Happy to pay for something that won't need replacing any time soon.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
This sounds good. It's going on a (cough)road bike(cough) so it would be nice to be able to adjust settings easily and keeping hands on the bars as much as possible.
The tap function is designed for helmet use. It's too sensitive for use on the bars.
They do sell a bluetooth remote as well though.
Video below of the manufacturing process from GMBN Tech

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I've had great success with the Bontrager Ion Pro and the older Ion 700, only ever run them in low which I find is plenty of light and get around 6hrs burn time. Heaps more light output than my old Light in Motion Stellas.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Yep - Exposure are the business. I only have the Joystick mounted on the handlebars and that is fine for me to get home through the pine forests around arboretum and zoo where I suspect you'll be going too?

Go up a couple of models from that and you'll be sweet for ages.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yep - Exposure are the business. I only have the Joystick mounted on the handlebars and that is fine for me to get home through the pine forests around arboretum and zoo where I suspect you'll be going too?
Around the lake, yacht club, golf course, Yarralumla Creek kind of thing.

I still haven't gone for a ride at the Arboretum, that would be a very pleasant place to smash out some non-techy miles

takai

Eats Squid
Anyone have a recommendation for a good bolt on rear light? Something with a mounting system like the Knog PWR, or a GoPro type mount would be great. Having far too many flimsy plastic mounts crack, and rubber o-rings perish, and then lose the light half way home.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Thinking of grabbing a combo set of Ay Up as a lighting upgrade this winter. Positive reviews from mates who have had em for years...... Price kinda makes me feel exploring alternates is the responsible thing to do.

Thoughts on alternative lights? I am well sorted for commuter lights so this will be MTB specific.