LIGHTS MEGATHREAD - all questions on riding lights asked and answered here!!!

Litenbror

Eats Squid
What's the best way to mount a light to a Fox Proframe?

Cleansing Duo comes with a clunky velcro thing which I'll probably replace with a GoPro style mount, but the helmet has a ridge running along it that makes it awkward. What's the best way to get around that?

Is this roughly the best positioning for the light?

View attachment 365376
I would try a piece of inner tube on either side of the ridge to make a flat platform. I had the same trouble with mine and a go pro mount, ended up mounting the GoPro on the chin guard.

clockworked

Like an orange
A decent light has really changed my night riding appreciation. Previously i was using the cleanskin lights (helmet spot, bar flood) and rated night riding as very slightly better than sitting on couch complaining about not riding.

Now I've bought one better headlamp flood and i like the difference so much I'll buy a better handlebar flood as soom as the cleanskins crap out. I'd also rate night riding as nearly as good as day riding with this set up

I don't think it's super important which brand you get, but the $400 lights are definitely 4x better than the $100 lights

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
A decent light has really changed my night riding appreciation. Previously i was using the cleanskin lights (helmet spot, bar flood) and rated night riding as very slightly better than sitting on couch complaining about not riding.

Now I've bought one better headlamp flood and i like the difference so much I'll buy a better handlebar flood as soom as the cleanskins crap out. I'd also rate night riding as nearly as good as day riding with this set up

I don't think it's super important which brand you get, but the $400 lights are definitely 4x better than the $100 lights
Which lights did you go for?

I'm running 2 sets (bar and helmet) of the Ckeanskin duos and this setup absolutely craps on my 10yr old dual Ayups.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't do a lot of night riding but I've found the cleanskin duo 2200 to be pretty good. I just pair it with a semi-decent head torch that I've had for years and I was pretty happy with the setup. I didn't do anything too adventurous or crazy so it may very well be that I'd struggle when the terrain gets really funky.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences

I can see this getting out of hand for me quickly.

Have consigned myself to the fact that most of my riding will be at night due to kids sport commitments on weekends. First ride was with just a bar mounted Solarstorm X3 and I battled (but enjoyed it). Have grabbed a Cleanskin Duo for the helmet now and a garage test last night suggests the Duo is so much better than the X3.

The Glowworm XSV really appeals to me with the remote switch...

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Hopefully that means mine are waiting for me when I get to work tomorrow :eek:. Although anything posted here goes via Melbourne first, so who knows.
When are you going to be able to get out to Coomie to use them?

My first ever ride at Coomie was a night ride with a few of the crew. Some random lights on my bars. Went OTB missing the second of the dual bridges on your newly rehabbed section...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
When are you going to be able to get out to Coomie to use them?

My first ever ride at Coomie was a night ride with a few of the crew. Some random lights on my bars. Went OTB missing the second of the dual bridges on your newly rehabbed section...
One day, or is that one night? Reckon there'd be a few up for it.

In the meantime there's plenty of 6pm rides home along the river :D

smasher29er

Likes Bikes

Cleansing Duo comes with a clunky velcro thing which I'll probably replace with a GoPro style mount, but the helmet has a ridge running along it that makes it awkward. What's the best way to get around that?

View attachment 365376
I put the mount a little farther back, go in the helmet at the hole at the bottom of the peak (bottom hole shown in your photo) then come up through the hole just behind the one you are currently in, through the slot on the mount and then down on the velcro. No issues on the 6ish rides i have used it on.if my description doesn make sense letme know and I will take some pics.

Ackland

chats d'élevage

View attachment 365376
You'll also need to find the balance between getting the weight evenly on your helmet so that your light isn't rolling the shell forward but also not have the visor blocking your beam pattern.

Can the visor be removed for night riding?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
You'll also need to find the balance between getting the weight evenly on your helmet so that your light isn't rolling the shell forward but also not have the visor blocking your beam pattern.

Can the visor be removed for night riding?
I don't think so. Luckily the Duo weighs bugger all but I'll give a test shake before tonight's ride to make sure it's ok.

Was stoked to find my kids $39 BigW action can has a much better quality GoPro style helmet mount than the Duo came with.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
for helmet or bars ? how heavy.chunky is the battery

These on the bars, Alpha on the bonce.

Battery is not as chunky as I expected. The two cell will definitely go on the helmet unnoticed, the four cell would be noticeable, but not out of the question. I'll weigh them when I get home, if I remember.

I'll do something about the foam and rubber bands one day too